The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Hope: WI ‘trying everything’ to turn around ODI fortunes

CaribbeanCricket.com 2023-03-20 15:11:05 

A career-defining century by a cricket captain should be enough to win a game of cricket, according to Shai Hope. And he wasn’t talking about himself.

“Temba Bavuma – an innings like that deserves to be a victorious innings but it just so happened that we came out on top at the end. I must give him credit for the way he controlled the innings. He played the situation well and he really deserved to win the game but there can only be one winner,” Hope said after West Indies successfully defended 335 runs – their highest score against South Africa – in East London.

It’s something we speak about in the meetings. We are just trying to win more cricket games. We didn’t have a successful 2022 and we are trying everything to turn it around,” he said.

So how will he manage the many roles he has to play in what is a big ODI year for West Indies? “I am definitely going to take it on full speed. It’s about giving my all to the team,” Hope said. “I am getting support from all ends. I have got support from guys off the field and on the field. I’ve got to keep embracing the responsibility and when the time comes to shine, I’ll do so.”

Full Report: ESPNcricinfo

Full Story

Onionman0 2023-03-20 15:13:41 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Don't talk...win series then only...

Sylobaby 2023-03-20 21:25:34 

Hope showed that he is a much better captain than Brathwaite. Also, he confirmed that he is a much better number 3- 6 batsman we have used in test like Riefer, Boner, Chase, Blackwood, Thomas or Brooks. I really want someone to tell me how they expect to win in Redball cricket when selectors seem to have taken a decision not to play Hope and Bravo in test and expect to win or develop red ball cricket

sudden 2023-03-20 21:28:28 

In reply to Sylobaby

Hope is not a better cappo than Bobo and there is a reason that he and Bravo are not playing test cricket.

One swallow doth not a summer make

doosra 2023-03-20 21:57:15 

but i love to hear they trying stuff

that is music

imusic 2023-03-20 23:38:10 

In reply to Onionman0

Don’t be like that. Part of his captain duties is to talk to the media.

Players Damned if they do. Damned if they don’t. West Indian fans can be a special kind of petty when we ready.

Brerzerk 2023-03-21 03:13:41 

Firstly, he is being inrerviewed so he must talk.not all will like his answers.He made important points. Captaincy brings out the best in some. His offsude hitting looks good, very good. Let us not confuse ODI and test batting but that it will give him confidence plus the drive to correct the flaws in his test game. If he is better in tests than the men mentuined why is his avg more dismal than thiers??

imusic 2023-03-21 03:48:21 

In reply to Brerzerk

If he is better in tests than the men mentuined why is his avg more dismal than thiers??

I will say this in defence of Shai Hope in test cricket.

Phil Simmons needed an opener and made Hope open the batting regardless of his failures in that position.

Simmons’ position at the time was that if you can bat, you can bat and there’s technically no difference between opening and batting at 3

This was at the beginning of Shai Hope’s career. As the evidence shows, it caused more harm than good.

Simmons could point at Shai Hope’s stellar ODI batting average and say he was right.

They did the same to Daren Ganga is pursuit of an opening partner for Chris Gayle. Ganga was never suited for the position but it was a way to get into the team, so he was sacrificed. Just like Shai Hope was.

As management and coaches, your # 1 assignment is to put players in position to excel. Our back office teams have failed our teams in that regard way more than they have succeeded.