The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

What difference does a coach make?

FuzzyWuzzy 2023-05-23 14:41:02 

Meanwhile, Delhi Capitals and Sunrisers Hyderabad had a dreadful season as they finished 9th and 10th on the table. The amusing thing was that the two teams failed to perform under the guidance of legendary figures like Ricky Ponting, Brian Lara, Sourav Ganguly, Muttiah Muralitharan, and Dale Steyn

Gavaskar used the above to sack foreign coaches.

Shane Warne once said the only coach he knew was the one that transported the players.

Dukes 2023-05-23 16:35:13 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Ask the England test players

Onionman0 2023-05-23 17:43:50 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Non of Ponting, Sourav,Lara, Murali has any credentials as good coaches ..they were great players...good captain...but non accredited coach....

FuzzyWuzzy 2023-05-23 17:50:10 

Just like Sammy then ? wink

Dukes 2023-05-23 17:51:36 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Sammy has done well in both the CPL and PSL AS A COACH!!!!!

Narper 2023-05-23 17:53:03 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

How Pouty and Bravo doing? wink

openning 2023-05-24 03:05:50 

In reply to Dukes
Can you share with us his role as a coach in the franchises he coached?

Dukes 2023-05-24 06:58:17 

In reply to openning

Sammy

Sammy was in reality a de facto coach when he was captain.This is evidenced by his role in the WI women winning the World Cup in 2016 going by what the winning captain had to say about his role in their victory.Also in 2021 Sammy was a key figure in the St Lucia Kings reaching the Finals of the CPL in 2021 even though he was the so-called motivator/assistant coach..
Many people have recognized his skills albeit with out a piece of paper saying he is a level 3 Coach a position that Brendon McCullum is also in.

Maybe it is more than a coincidence that nearly all the teams he is in a leadership role in when it comes to white ball cricket are successful.

openning 2023-05-24 14:57:39 

In reply to Dukes
I see nothing about coaching that makes him a head coach.
Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky and a few others became HC after their playing days were over, they quickly found out, having leadership roles within the organization was far better than coaching.
If Sammy is that good, let him be the Director of cricket, he seem to know talent and how to handle players.
Coaching is teaching.
BTW, he is having Pretty boy Floyd as his assistant.

tc1 2023-05-24 17:56:27 

In reply to openning

BTW, he is having Pretty boy Floyd as his assistant.

WIfan26 2023-05-24 17:58:51 

In reply to tc1

You too Opening, you love to throw flame at pretty Floyd, but roses at pretty Kooley.

ADMIN THIS DESERVES A BAN!!!

tc1 2023-05-24 18:15:51 

In reply to WIfan26

are you crazy what is Andre's last name spelled with a K.I did not grow up in the Caribbean

WIfan26 2023-05-24 18:21:00 

In reply to tc1

The man's name is Andre Coley but clearly you were just being a "Kunt"!!!

tc1 2023-05-24 18:25:30 

In reply to WIfan26

like you

camos 2023-05-24 18:36:15 

lol

Chrissy 2023-05-24 18:36:21 

In reply to tc1
Delete or this thread will be locked

camos 2023-05-24 18:39:27 

what is the ethnicity of Cooley, remember him been a U19 player but has no idea what he looks like?

tc1 2023-05-24 18:47:55 

In reply to camos

I am saying to you, I grew up in NY and Do not carry suck negativity

Dukes 2023-05-24 20:36:05 

In reply to openning

Coaching is teaching.

Do you understand the difference between coaching at club level and at International Level?

openning 2023-05-24 20:57:44 

In reply to Dukes
Don't try to insult my intelligent, you are not replying to someone who you think can look down at.
This guy will tell what I know about a head coach position because he called me numerous times.
Link Text
To have a conversation with this guy.
Link Text

Onionman0 2023-05-24 23:54:29 

In reply to Dukes

It's really disheartening to see your logic ..... supporting Sammy......

1. West Indies cricket advertisement...a world class coach.... with 5 years experience...at international level or regional....

2. Sammy never Coach a team in ODI

3.His ODI track record as Captain was very poor considering during his tenure from 2010-2013.... Gayle, Pollard,Narine, Chanderpaul,Bravo all were part of the team.

4.As captain out of 51 matches, he won 19... mostly against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe... Bangladesh was very lovely ranked during the period....

Dukes 2023-05-25 00:58:02 

In reply to Onionman0

Simple question

Do you have any idea who were the people who applied for the job?

openning 2023-05-25 01:33:05 

In reply to WIfan26
There is something about the Reifers that I alway had some dislike for.
This is going way back in 1967, when I played a series of BCL cricket, I played two matches against Tony, he scored very little runs that same year he got Sir wicket twice in the BCA vs BCL match.

openning 2023-05-25 01:53:20 

Every Head coach especially in the West Indies should be equipped with the technical skills, going on tour with one other coach, who will be working with the batsman and the fast bowlers, spinner, fielding, wicketkeeper?
Who will be the person responsible for viewing films with the players after the days play?
My first ten golf lessons I still have the video of, I am fortunate to work at a course where my swing is looked at yearly.

Onionman0 2023-05-25 04:52:51 

In reply to Dukes

Simple question cannot be an answer to the question put forward hereinabove.... please enlighten the posters about Sammy and
his ODI exploits and achievements as captain and/or coach, which has propelled him to become White ball Head Coach.. ..please do answer in your usual manner point wise...hope you not run away from this thread.....

Dukes 2023-05-25 08:55:50 

In reply to Onionman0

1. West Indies cricket advertisement...a world class coach.... with 5 years experience...at international level or regional....

I was informed by a former Director of CWI that nobody applied for the job who satisfied all the criteria originally set out by CWI

2. Sammy never Coach a team in ODI
That was not a criteria set out by CWI

3.His ODI track record as Captain was very poor considering during his tenure from 2010-2013.... Gayle, Pollard,Narine, Chanderpaul,Bravo all were part of the team.
Sammy's record as captain whilst it was noted to be less than stellar in ODI's was far and away the best for West Indians in T 20 cricket.In any event his record as captain was not pivotal in the considerations by the panel.
What impressed the panel was his presentation of his vision for WI cricket over the next 24 months.His detailed analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of our white ball teams together with a plan for improving the team.His understanding of the current players and how to utilize their attributes to garner successful outcomes was quite superior to the other applicants interviewed.During the discussions we were struck by his conflict resolution skills highlighted by several anecdotes in the CPL.
The panel was confident that notwithstanding Sammy's lack of coaching certificate credentials that he is likely to do a very good job as WI white ball coach.

NOW
The fact that no MARQUIS INTERNATIONAL COACH actually applied for the job.........................

Over to you

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Onionman0 2023-05-26 11:16:19 

In reply to Dukes

was informed by a former Director of CWI that nobody applied for the job who satisfied all the criteria originally set out by CWI

Appointment of Head Coaches in such secrecy.....no transparency as to total numbers of applicants..... interviews.... representation....only a classified information....that too from an ex- CWI director..... with tag " trust my words".....this entire process itself is bad in law....let CWI showcase all applicants for the real stakeholders....fans...

That was not a criteria set out by CWI

Kindly go through the Experience required column.....
5 years experience... Sammy has 2- 3 years experience

World class coach, having work with team showing results international or first class
..... Sammy doesn't have any working experience with international or Regional list A in ODI....

Sammy's record as captain whilst it was noted to be less than stellar in ODI's was far and away the best for West Indians in T 20 cricket.In any event his record as captain was not pivotal in the considerations by the panel.
What impressed the panel was his presentation of his vision for WI cricket over the next 24 months.His detailed analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of our white ball teams together with a plan for improving the team.His understanding of the current players and how to utilize their attributes to garner successful outcomes was quite superior to the other applicants interviewed.During the discussions we were struck by his conflict resolution skills highlighted by several anecdotes in the CPL.
The panel was confident that notwithstanding Sammy's lack of coaching certificate credentials that he is likely to do a very good job as WI white ball coach.

NOW
The fact that no MARQUIS INTERNATIONAL COACH actually applied for the job.........................

Totally guess and surmise.....I was expecting that you would question,why the names of the applicants were kept totally secret....which applicants had more experience as required..but you seem to accept An Ex-CWI Director version.... that's big let down.....as far as your mode of arguments concern.....

Anyways, I am not an Ex-CWI Director but following West Indies cricket for last 40 years....assure you... Sammy became independent Director of CWI just because he supported the Administration.....Got Head Coach job not on merit but through back door... without requisite qualification...jumping over more eligible candidates....

Dukes 2023-05-26 12:00:22 

In reply to Onionman0

You are even more in the dark than I am in terms of what went down.There are a lot of facts that neither of us have in our possession.If you read my posts about CWI,you would know that I am one of the fiercest critics when it comes to their duplicity and opacity.
I did not agree with their criteria for head coach but I firmly believe that Sammy is a good choice and Time will tell whether I am correct in that belief.
I am not offering as proof that my friend who told me about nobody applying who satisfied all the criteria.I trust him to tell me the truth in this matter as he has no obvious incentive to lie to me about it.
Your accusations are merely speculative as you have no direct knowledge of the situation, though your suspicions are not unreasonable.

Onionman0 2023-05-26 14:59:57 

In reply to Dukes

I did not agree with their criteria for head coach but I firmly believe that Sammy is a good choice and Time will tell whether I am correct in that belief.

I am very skeptical about the success of Sammy....... particularly, in ODI...

Sammy as player had the opportunity to captain a team , with excellent but temperamental players like Gayle, Samuels,Bravo, Pollard,......he was superlative in man management..... with hardly any personal contribution....except in finale...team won 2012... World Cup.....ever more , without any personal contribution....team won 2016 World Cup...Sammy as players was below par in ODI...as Captain wasn't successful, inspite having comparatively better squad....never coached any team international or regional....So my take, if at all West Indies succeed in Qualifiers..... West Indies is in easy group......in long run , team will fail..... it's not about man management, in which Sammy excel...... it's all about building a team, technically and strategically...which Sammy has no experience or knowledge.....

voiceofreason 2023-05-26 15:10:45 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy The failures of those teams under those legends reinforces the point that great players do not necessarily make great Coaches! Sammy was no great talent wise but his passion for West Indies cricket is second to none.

doosra 2023-05-26 15:15:16 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

on another thread you were asking ppl to show you what Sammy did 8 years in the CPL

allyuh funny yes

FuzzyWuzzy 2023-05-26 19:32:55 

In reply to doosra

Me? Fuzzy?

Show me that sad

doosra 2023-05-26 22:30:19 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

What difference does a coach make?

Where was this master strategist for the last 8 cpl seasons?

StumpCam 2023-05-26 22:42:31 

In reply to doosra

You catch men speaking on both side of deh mout in one thread! lol lol lol

FuzzyWuzzy 2023-05-26 22:45:04 

In reply to StumpCam

No, where's the contradiction?