The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

this situation with the lights going out

bird 10/3/24, 7:24:39 PM
bird avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
2,185 runs

I find it very unfortunate that it is termed as sabotage and the conspiracy theorist are having a field day, but it becomes worrying when prominent people especially from TNT are thinking so, it was simply malfunctioning of equipment, if we seriously believe this was a sabotage then we are in a very sad state. (why would the CPL organization and officials of Guyana risk very thin for something so small)
- edited -
imusic 10/3/24, 7:35:26 PM
imusic avatar image

78,877 runs

In reply to bird

People need to get over it and themselves.

Yes it was disappointing. It’s sport. Shit happens.

Enough already
Jumpstart 10/3/24, 7:44:55 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

debut: 11/30/17
10,720 runs

In reply to bird

you must not take the opinion of some prominent people as the opinion of the majority of us. some of these prominent people have in the past started comparing trinidad to guyana and not in a favorable light. and of course there is an election coming up next year so they are looing for traction. What i'd advise you to do is do not take the opinion of TT newspapers as gospel. the standards of the express, guardian and newsday are exceptionally poor, with two of them being successfully sued for libel in the past three years, one as recently as earlier this year.
Of course, many of the arguments surrounded whether the officials at the stadium somehow conspired to manipulate the floodlights to ensure three of them went down in the final over of TKR’s innings, only to become functional after an over two-hour delay just minutes before the cut-off time that would have seen Kieron Pollard’s men qualify based on their better standing at the end of the preliminary phase.

That the Guyana Power and Light Company Inc (GPL) and the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport distanced themselves from the debacle while noting that the stadium had an independent power source and that GPL officials were only there on standby to help in a case of an emergency, only added fuel to the fire.

the above as an example of the irresponsibility that regularly passes for journalism in TT. I would say there was a level of slackness, especially when it came out that this problem took place during a GAW practice session earlier this week and during a t10 final a week earlier. that is what up upsets me. but i don't think there was malice. other than the hostility of many of the GAW fans, there's nothing to suggest that there was sabotage
granite 10/3/24, 9:03:56 PM
granite avatar image

debut: 11/1/13
13,900 runs

In reply to bird

"One may lead a horse to water 1000 cannot make it drink".If you don't see anything suspicious obout that outage and the exact timing when it returned,that surprise me and many,as usual you are a Trini hater and I won't take you seriously. When a sabotage is planned especially one like happened in the match yuh nah going call people fi look wah yuh going do.I suppose you was overlooking the lights,yuh was "watchman".
- edited -
Jumpstart 10/3/24, 9:21:19 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

10,720 runs

In reply to imusic

Yes it was disappointing. It’s sport. Shit happens.

no there has to be some sort of ramification for this. a two hour light outage is totally unacceptable and unprecedented in recent history. that the problem manifested itself earlier is even more damning. hence i use the word incompetence, not sabotage
- edited -
Halliwell 10/3/24, 9:25:50 PM
Halliwell avatar image

debut: 5/14/05
23,164 runs

In reply to bird

Maybe it’s ole talk that has gotten out of hand. Farcical all round, but no surprises there, all round.
bird 10/3/24, 10:03:43 PM
bird avatar image

2,185 runs

In reply to granite

firstly I am not a Trini hater no reason to be, I should not be having to say that, the nonsense you emit is hard to fathom, if it was planed for Trini to lose, why 60 in 5 that is no walk in the park, will ask
again, why would the planers risk all the effort they put in for years, but! the world in which live, every one wants to see that which was never intended and non existent
Jumpstart 10/3/24, 11:06:18 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

10,720 runs

In reply to bird

Hoss every Guyanese does say that as a preamble before they start mentioning Dr Rowley’s analogy about imaginary votes and Guyanese dollars and that the People’s Partnership deported 700 Guyanese between 2011 and 2014, things that have nothing to do with cricket. Allyuh need to stop toting and accept that why took place on Tuesday was totally unacceptable
- edited -
SnoopDog 10/3/24, 11:16:40 PM
SnoopDog avatar image

debut: 1/24/04
15,830 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

For a guy who was supposedly boycotting the CPL you can’t seem to post about anything else for the past month. lol
BeatDball 10/4/24, 12:05:02 AM
BeatDball avatar image

debut: 7/20/14
16,095 runs

In reply to bird Sheer incompetence, I would say. What's the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) of the stadium? Does the supervising staff, do a lights & power engine check prior to start? Say, like, about two hours before operation kick off? If they did, then Minister of Sport & Dr Irfan Ali should get, directly, in touch with TT officials & reassure them that it was incompetence/a systems malfunction. Or worst case, if some batty hole(s) played a joke to influence the outcome of the game, then some investigation should start pronto & get at the bottom of this fiasco. This thing is not good, doesn't look good & it's bad for Guyana & WI region. That's all.
- edited -
Overthrow 10/4/24, 12:27:18 AM
Overthrow avatar image

debut: 3/24/21
1,702 runs

The game was played within the guidelines set out. There was a winner and a loser. Those who worked to get the lights on to continue the game should not have to face negative criticism on this forum or from any other unhappy fans of the tournament.
SnoopDog 10/4/24, 12:31:34 AM
SnoopDog avatar image

debut: 1/24/04
15,830 runs

In reply to Dotardballs

Offer up your left testicle as a sacrifice to appease your Tittie Bredrens.
BeatDball 10/4/24, 1:06:22 AM
BeatDball avatar image

debut: 7/20/14
16,095 runs

In reply to SnoopDog As a lil bwoy growing up on Leg 1 island, I still remember these two phrases: fair & square; plain & straight! Fool, come on maen.