CaribbeanCricket.com

The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Forums The Rum Shop
The Fastest Bowler Nobody Wanted To Face

The Fastest Bowler Nobody Wanted To Face

Sun, Aug 30, '26 at 7:29 PM
As far as I am aware, the consensus in the Caribbean is that Gilchrist, somewhat unfairly, was treated harshly by the authorities. There is a recent article in the latest edition of The Nightwatchman, however, that challenges that view. Written by well-known Caribbean journalist Vaneisa Baksh, who gained access to documents from that era, it paints a picture of someone who seemed almost uncontrollable. The infractions were numerous and grave and one came away feeling that the sanctions imposed were just.
It shouldn’t be that anyone is beyond rehabilitation but there are persons who are extremely hard to manage. Former England left-arm orthodox spinner Phil Tufnell seems a rather jovial figure now but he was problematic during his playing days. Michael Atherton, who captained him for England, once asked his captain at Middlesex, Stephen Fleming, how he managed to keep Tufnell in line.”Couldn’t do it mate,” was Fleming’s reply as he rolled his eyes and shook his head. “Gave up trying.”

https://garfieldrobinson1.substack.com/p/the-fastest-man-nobody-wanted-to

Sun, Aug 30, '26 at 8:52 PM

@spider wrote:

https://garfieldrobinson1.substack.com/p/the-fastest-man-nobody-wanted-to

BS!!! Both Wed Hall and Basil Butcher (RIP) told how Alexander was curt and dismissive with both them (the young players delegation) petitioning for leniency and Gilly himself. Contrary to the claim that bouncers/beamers to Alexander's Cambridge mate Singh was the issue Butcher said it was the simple cuss word R@#!

Rev. Wes said Alexander imply advised Gilly he'd be sent home with the dismissive "that will be all" to end the meeting

Sun, Aug 30, '26 at 9:00 PM

@Brerzerk wrote:

BS!!! Both Wed Hall and Basil Butcher (RIP) told how Alexander was curt and dismissive with both them (the young players delegation) petitioning for leniency and Gilly himself. Contrary to the claim that bouncers/beamers to Alexander's Cambridge mate Singh was the issue Butcher said it was the simple cuss word R@#!
Rev. Wes said Alexander imply advised Gilly he'd be sent home with the dismissive "that will be all" to end the meeting

Well if you have not then I wish you would read Vaneisa Baksh's article in the Nightwatchman. She got hold of documents on the Gilchrist affair and they are telling according to her report. I was under the impression they treated Gilly harshly. But now I doubt they could have acted differently.

Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 12:08 AM

@spider wrote:

https://garfieldrobinson1.substack.com/p/the-fastest-man-nobody-wanted-to

There are players..... brilliant.... but..

Paul Gascoigne...

Panesar..

Our very own... allegedly... Sinclair

Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 12:32 AM

@spider wrote:

Well if you have not then I wish you would read Vaneisa Baksh's article in the Nightwatchman. She got hold of documents on the Gilchrist affair and they are telling according to her report. I was under the impression they treated Gilly harshly. But now I doubt they could have acted differently.

@Onionman0 wrote:

There are players..... brilliant.... but..
Paul Gascoigne...
Panesar..
Our very own... allegedly... Sinclair

@Onionman0 wrote:

There are players..... brilliant.... but..
Paul Gascoigne...
Panesar..
Our very own... allegedly... Sinclair
Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 12:37 AM

@Brerzerk

And who do you think wrote and stewarded those documents? What benefit would Messers Butcher and Hall gain from telling a different story from the establishment? I wish Radio Jamaica could if they preserved it play their interview with Gilchrist and we could compare 3 first hand accounts with those documents.

Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 12:52 AM

By the way, Frank Worrell begged the board " Give me Gilly and I will win "Down-under" Who think dem man would rescind a life ban they instigated back in dem times?" Just since '80's to now there's been many exaggerated and false tour reports etc on many players. Sarwan 's is one of the worse example.

.

Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 6:15 AM

@spider wrote:

https://garfieldrobinson1.substack.com/p/the-fastest-man-nobody-wanted-to

How Gilchrist didn't go on to kill a batsman is surprising,he was especially nasty against the Pakistanis in 1958 with beamers and bouncers.He was also nasty against the Indians later on,wasn't he sent home from India or dropped from the team for bowling his beamers at batsmen.

Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 8:57 AM

@granite wrote:

How Gilchrist didn't go on to kill a batsman is surprising,he was especially nasty against the Pakistanis in 1958 with beamers and bouncers.He was also nasty against the Indians later on,wasn't he sent home from India or dropped from the team for bowling his beamers at batsmen.

Well, if I remember correctly, Gilchrist shocked some of his colleagues when he hinted that he would not have been too unhappy had that occurred.

Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 9:01 AM

@Brerzerk wrote:

@Brerzerk
And who do you think wrote and stewarded those documents? What benefit would Messers Butcher and Hall gain from telling a different story from the establishment? I wish Radio Jamaica could if they preserved it play their interview with Gilchrist and we could compare 3 first hand accounts with those documents.

Ok. So you are dismissing the documents without even knowing anything about them. I was sympathetic towards Gilchrist until I read Baksh's article. Gilchrist was very difficult. Remember he applied a clothing iron to his wife's skin.

Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 11:22 AM

@spider wrote:

Ok. So you are dismissing the documents without even knowing anything about them. I was sympathetic towards Gilchrist until I read Baksh's article. Gilchrist was very difficult. Remember he applied a clothing iron to his wife's skin.

Questioning 'evidence' in the face of firsthand account is not being dismissive.What is the relevance of physical domestic abuse to this? Pastors beat their wives then go on the pulpit no? Both are awful.deeds by men who then go out and do jobs. Which other 'difficult to handle' player got a life ban? I guess putting Rose out to grass post RSA debacle counts.

Mon, Aug 31, '26 at 7:45 PM

@Brerzerk wrote:

Questioning 'evidence' in the face of firsthand account is not being dismissive.What is the relevance of physical domestic abuse to this? Pastors beat their wives then go on the pulpit no? Both are awful.deeds by men who then go out and do jobs. Which other 'difficult to handle' player got a life ban? I guess putting Rose out to grass post RSA debacle counts.

Plenty players were sidelined because of behavior. In the West Indies and elsewhere

Forums The Rum Shop
The Fastest Bowler Nobody Wanted To Face