India head coach Gautam Gambhir was critical of the conditions in Guwahati, saying there needed to be a "bit of more contest between bat and ball", after India's record 406 chase in the second ODI against West Indies. He also felt that wickets offering so little for the bowlers were "not fair", making it difficult for them to have a meaningful impact on the game.
"Look, if I have to be absolutely honest, I feel I think there has to be a bit of more contest between bat and ball, because I think you talk about cricket - but this is not cricket, this is only batting," Gambhir told Star Sports after the game. "Because imagine a young bowler bowling on this wicket, and the opposition getting 400 and then we go on to chase 400. Obviously, for the records it's outstanding, for the crowd it's outstanding, for the broadcaster it's outstanding, but if you ask me as a genuine cricket fan and as a coach, because I have to have sympathy for the bowlers as well.