The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Israel's Indian Jews in the 'promised land'

sgtdjones 2018-01-20 21:47:39 

Israel's Indian Jews and their lives in the 'promised land'

The ancient Israeli city of Beersheba is home to thousands of Bene Israelis who migrated to the "promised land" soon after the state was created in 1948.

Mr Gudekar himself is now part of a growing clan. Some of them followed him from India, while others were born in Israel.

Most of the Bene Israeli population - thought to number around 80,000 - came from the western Indian state of Maharashtra.

A few who migrated in the 50s and 60s recall that before leaving India they were readied for their "return to the promised land" by being taught Hebrew and a few basic Jewish prayers.

But for many families, the migration did not go as smoothly as hoped.

Mr Gudekar says that like many others of his community, his family were discriminated against because of their darker skin colour and because they could not speak fluent Hebrew.

They were allotted an inferior home, built of asbestos, and tin. Mr Gudekar says his father often regretted leaving their life in India.

Link Text

Norm 2018-01-20 22:05:51 

Indians and Jews seem to have the hardest time fitting into new communities. They often just don't want to fit into the "culturally inferior" communities to which they migrate, and cling desperately to their "superior culture", which somehow keeps failing them time and again.

So, an Indian Jew, or Jewish Indian, is bound to be a very interesting creature!

Dan_De_Lyan 2018-01-20 22:14:52 

In reply to Norm

vacation to Liberia in the summer?

Norm 2018-01-20 22:18:29 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

vacation to Liberia in the summer?

Man, you're talking in parables!

Bruk it dung to "takie takie" for this po' Berbice bhai, nuh! smile

goofballs 2018-01-20 23:25:32 

In reply to Norm
Wow!
rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Indians and Jews seem to have the hardest time fitting into new communities. They often just don't want to fit into the "culturally inferior" communities to which they migrate, and cling desperately to their "superior culture", which somehow keeps failing them time and again.

What a statement! Shooting with your eyes shut. Dramatic conclusions!
Were you also you blindly indoctrinated to the Burnhamite way to get people of Indian descent to give up their culture and religion, even by forcibly prohibiting food,altering religious practices, air time, etc?
Why should people give up their rich culture for nothing?
I know many were forced into Christianity to get a job. Yes, sticking with their religion failed them from getting jobs in the old system, so you are probably right about the fail.
Africans were just only beginning to get back in touch with their lost roots and culture.

Btw, Indians have gone all over the world, where the sun never sets, and have adjusted pretty well at the same time being able to maintain their rich cultures, religions and traditions.

So, cut out the crap generalization and stop being Trump like with your pseudo knowledge, bias and misrepresentation. I have academic knowledge of Jews only so can't, won't comment about them. I know my limitation.
However, the article seems to highlight earlier discrimination in Israel against their own darker ones who migrated there.

Norm 2018-01-21 00:06:16 

In reply to goofballs

OK, when are you going start discussing and stop trying to intimidate (Jeez! I can't imagine you intimidating anyone in real life) with cussing and crass behavior? Is it always "Burnhamite", etc? Is that always the best intellectual input you could muster?

We all know about Liberty Avenue, etc, which is a conundrum in itself, similar to the one I am referring to. Do Guyanese Indians on Liberty Avenue want to be Guyanese, Indian or American? Why move to another society if you cannot, or will not, integrate with it?

Why keep yourself out of mainstream society and then complain that you are being "treated differently"?

In the end, it is almost always Indians and Jews in this world who cannot fit in - sometimes even in their own "homeland"! They have their castes, seph-this-ic Jew and seph-that-ic Jew, etc.

If you think that is great, then power to you - and cheers from Burnhamites everywhere!

the article seems to highlight earlier discrimination in Israel against their own darker ones who migrated there.

Indians (some, at least) are by no means the only dark-skinned, or even the darkest-colored people to migrate to Israel. Many Africans, from Ethiopia to South Africa, have also migrated to Israel. They too have spoken of difficulties settling in to their new country.

White European Jews too (such as many from Russia), have had problems settling in to life in Israel. So, the implied racism by the Israeli government against people of darker complexion does not necessarily hold water.

There is plenty of evidence worldwide, however, that many Indians and Jews refuse to be assimilated into other other cultures, or assimilate minorities in their midst - even after several generations. Is this a problem?

It is, if we truly believe that all people are socially and politically equal. We all know the truth about that, especially in Israel's case.

goofballs 2018-01-21 01:33:43 

In reply to Norm
Norm, Norm, stating facts is intimidation? Your concreteness and narrow point of view needs to be called! It is not a question of being intellectual or pseudo!
Yes, your Godfather did try to suppress the Indian religions and culture big time in Guyana. Fact!

Do Guyanese Indians on Liberty Avenue want to be Guyanese, Indian or American?

What's wrong with all of the above? Religiously, culturally, etc.
What tunnel vision!!
Jamaica says, out of many, One.
What is wrong with wearing saris, eating Indo Guyanese food, etc?
What's with wearing a dashiki or talking in Guyanese?
I do not understand you.
Are you ashamed?
All humans are unique and each group has its own characteristic.

Why move to another society if you cannot, or will not, integrate with it?
Why keep yourself out of mainstream society and then complain that you are being "treated differently"?

You colonials wanted integration to be complete, to be a real white in behavior, dress, religion, etc. but never in the same class.
They did a number on the slaves and still left that mentality on many.
Their days done, done.
Even ex slaves started getting in touch with their roots after independence and most were not ashamed of their rich culture that they came from.
The Guyanese of Indian origin maintained their religions, cultures, etc. in spite of Burnham.
The Indians and Africans from the WI in America still have their uniqueness but I feel they are also well integrated into mainstream America, quite contrary to your perspective.

goofballs 2018-01-21 01:38:29 

Just saw this.

cussing and crass behavior?

I have not edited anything.
Go get some rest before you hallucinate more or feel offended by facts. razz

Norm 2018-01-21 03:02:24 

In reply to goofballs

your Godfather did try to suppress the Indian religions and culture big time in Guyana. Fact!

Facts indeed!

You are one of the easiest folks to "set up" here. Someone just needs to holler "Indians cannot do this or that" and you quickly descend into "Burnham and Black people screwed Indians in Guyana" hysteria. No, wait - "hallucination"! It doesn't matter what the theme of the thread is.

What's wrong with all of the above?

The same thing that is wrong with "chinatowns", etc, in European and North American countries - large sections of immigrant populations who never quite integrate into their new homeland. Some never learn the language of their adopted home and often continue the same practices, including corruption and social discrimination, that ruined their native countries to begin with. Bad for the immigrant generation, but particularly harmful for their offspring.

I feel they are also well integrated into mainstream America

Great for the Liberty Avenue folks then! How about the Jews in New York?

Khaga 2018-01-21 05:50:38 

In reply to Norm

Interesting comments on Indians and Jews about not "fitting in"..
Perhaps they neither seek to forcibly convert and nor possess the "tools" to convert vast swathes of population in the lands they migrate to. That's an effective way of assimilation,which Christianity employs worldwide.

DAVE400 2018-01-21 07:55:58 

I ain't knnow how this thread became about Guyanese... rolleyes

Anyhow, with respect to promised lands, displacement, etc...

I believe the biggest sin humans create is claiming owenership of things created by God...

When we go through the pearly gates or are being judged through whatever mechanisms of our schisms, God will ask :

"So who tell you you can take what I created and call it yours?"

granite 2018-01-21 09:29:18 

Isn't it funny that Jews were accepted when they landed on the shores of Cochin in India.It as far back as 68 AD.They happily made India their home,and built many Synagogues,and practiced their religion.Many ate still in India today.

Chrissy 2018-01-21 09:34:41 

In reply to Norm

My only hope is that they don't face the forced sterilization that the female Ethiopian and other African Jews faced.

Titleist 2018-01-21 10:28:54 

In reply to Norm

You are generally an informed and reasonable poster, don’t allow your arrogance to get the better of you in making broad, sweeping generalizations about Richmond Hill.

Richmond Hill remains a place for some, maybe many, Guyanese to get their footing before moving on...... to integrate further in the American culture. Some older folks, for various reasons, may choose to remain longer. Also, over the last 15- 20 years or so there has been a huge influx of Sikhs in the area, especially north of Liberty Avenue. It’s only a matter of time before Sikhs become the majority ethnic group in the area. It remains an area with changing demographics.

As for Jews, in my opinion they do generally assimilate, except for the very religious, who choose to live among other like minded Jews. A few years ago I read an article where the writer was lamenting the fact that many secular Jews were marrying non Jews. He was concerned about dilution of Jews in America.

Devin 2018-01-21 11:07:35 

Indians don't fit in? That's strange. Wherever Indians go, they are generally the least persecuted and often times the most successful. They'll have to deal with racial stereotypes and what have you, but they adapt, and if they don't, they certainly don't try to shove their religion or beliefs down your throat.

From Australia to the USA to Europe and Africa, Indians are generally well-to-do and extremely successful.

Darkness 2018-01-21 15:20:49 

Hopefully one day the Palestinians will have the same rights in their ancestral homeland just like every other Semite.

goofballs 2018-01-21 15:28:57 

In reply to Norm

You are one of the easiest folks to "set up" here. Someone just needs to holler "Indians cannot do this or that"

The pleasure is totally all mine, Uton! Anytime, any opportunity to spread the truth.
Come faster and bounce more crap (false opinion) about my peeps and I will show more hook shots. razz

you quickly descend into "Burnham and Black people screwed Indians in Guyana" hysteria.

Again, your arrogance or (internet) narcissism is getting the better of you. Where did I mention black people screwed Indians. Your wish?You actually put it in quotes, like Trump and alternative truths. You have your opinion about me and you project non facts as quote.
I talked a lot about and defined the Burnhamites. You could also be one without being black!
For people to call for riots, looting/robbing, assaults, raping, murder on the basis of race is never forgivable! Your people joined with him to form a government so it is not surprising that you too will say it was a delusion, and any attempt by people like me to talk about it being met with attempts to discredit or label writer a racist or setting him up as a hater of black people. Just like a larwah!

Some never learn the language of their adopted home and often continue the same practices, including corruption and social discrimination, that ruined their native countries to begin with.

So that is unique to Indian and Jewish immigrants?
Ask a black or Indian or Chinese if they go in a white community and knock on the door if any white will open.
Just consider who were the first people banished to America.

ray 2018-01-21 15:33:17 

USA gives everyone the right to live life they want to live it...ask the Amish

sgtdjones 2018-01-21 18:39:38 

In reply to Chrissy

That is another sad part of history.