The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Super Bowl officiating.

dayne 2018-02-05 12:12:41 

The Super Bowl was one of the better officiated games of the season, no over analysis of what a catch is or is not, not many phantom calls, the officials allowed the players to play.

XFactor 2018-02-05 14:23:29 

In reply to dayne

one of the better officiated games

That's because they threw the rule book out and nobody could define what a catch was anymore.

Ayenmol 2018-02-05 15:06:12 

In reply to XFactor

They simply adjusted the over analyzing. They went too far in their letter of the law adjudication of the rules.

What they did on that one play with Clements' catch in the back of the end zone was perfect. He caught the ball, got two feet down, then adjusted it to ensure it did not pop out when he hit the ground. To me that should always be a catch.

If the player has the ballin his possesion firmly gets two feet down but then it moves a bit as he is falling out but never loses it, that should be a catch.

If he grabs the ball firmly, like Ertz did, falls to the ground and the ground then causes the ball to come loose, mitt is a catch!

Of course in Ertz' case he made a clear football move so there was no doubt that was a clean catch , move, td.

Priapus 2018-02-05 17:37:49 

In reply to Ayenmol
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the Ertz catch and the one made by Jesse James in the Pats vs Steelers week 14 matchup.

Ayenmol 2018-02-05 17:46:27 

In reply to Priapus

I thought James play was a td myself. But he actually caught the ball and dived in one motion, so that made it a judgment call. Ertz caught the ball in stride, made two steps and then leaped into the endzone.

DirtyDan 2018-02-05 18:35:48 

In reply to Ayenmol

You are absolutely correct. They figured out when a catcher becomes a runner.

That referee is one of the best and a great game was indeed called especially when you consider New England was one of the participants.

Tryangle 2018-02-05 19:01:56 

Wasn’t that the index card carrying ref? lol