The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Caribbean athletics outdoor season

mikesiva 2018-02-27 12:26:13 

Former Kingston College (KC) 100m record holder Zharnel Hughes of Great Britain stunned Yohan Blake and the National Stadium to capture the 100m in a world-leading 10.01 (0.8 mps) seconds at the Gibson McCook Relays last night.

The 22-year-old Hughes wasn't the best away, but once he came out of his drive phase, from lane two he turned on the after burners and swept past his Racers teammate Blake to establish his personal best —although he failed to dip below the coveted 10-second barrier.

Hughes erased the previous world best of 10.10 held by Australian Trae Williams, established on February 16, and now has the first and third best times following his 10.18 clocking at the Camperdown Classic a few weeks ago.

The 28-year-old Blake, who is expected to take over the reins from the retired Usain Bolt, got a good start, looked relaxed, and appeared as he would be an easy winner, but was second in a season's best of 10.05.

Link Text

rudebway 2018-02-27 12:49:54 

In reply to mikesiva

reading the article, i am surprised and happily so to see that Sherone Simpson is running. i thought she had given it up. Apart from Elaine, the other ladies are not world beaters. I can see Sherone in the top 3.

also saw a highlight of the 4 * 4. Demish Gaye got the baton ahead of Javon Francis, but Francis took him down. encouraging signs for our 4 * 4.

mikesiva 2018-03-17 08:24:40 

In reply to rudebway

UWI Invitational on today