The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The Rovman Powell story

Narper 2018-12-09 20:00:04 

"When I started playing international cricket, I told her that, 'Mum, I'm going to have a successful career and you won't have to work again," Powell tells Cricbuzz. "So far, I haven't been as successful as I want, but I'm continuing to work hard and continue to believe that one day and at one point, the hard work will pay off.

"Growing up wasn't particularly easy, but it wasn't the worst. That's natural growing up in the Caribbean. When you have a single parent, a single mother, doing all those things... She means the world to me. I try my best to ensure everything is taken care of. Even for my younger sister. I ensure I do everything to take care of her. When my mum isn't there, I cook for her and do other stuff too."

The current book he's reading, A Fistful of Love by Om Swami, is one that he got in India when he was here for the Indian Premier League. It's one that "teaches one about life, and the facets that come with it," he says. "I know what it feels like to have nothing. You can be at the top of the world today and tomorrow you fall off. So I try to remain calm and humble and look at each man (as an) equal."

link

DIEHARD 2018-12-09 21:00:17 

In reply to Narper

Aaaaah...so that's why he's the skipper..he reads.

Courtney Browne is such a forking jackass lol lol lol

Narper 2018-12-09 22:30:07 

In reply to DIEHARD

He picked up the book during IPL and showed it to Brung big grin

anandgb 2018-12-09 22:31:59 

In reply to Narper

lol lol lol

Walco 2018-12-11 05:51:28 

In reply to Narper

Nice story.Powell is obviously an intelligent young man.

I have nuff respect for people who take care of their mothers.

Casper 2018-12-11 05:56:59 

In reply to Narper

I am impressed. I hope he achieves his dream. I will be rooting for him.