The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Nigel Hughes, no confidence motion not valid

steveo 2018-12-24 20:36:31 

He is saying that 33-32 is not a majority, majority is 34

Link

goofballs 2018-12-24 22:22:10 

In reply to steveo

Man eye pass people thinking that they are stupid to buy his hog wash argument.

Of course, a liar has to try anything.

SnoopDog 2018-12-25 00:09:22 

In reply to goofballs

It’s only a majority if the PNC has 33. lol

Dukes 2018-12-25 00:49:08 

In reply to goofballs

But he speaks so well!!!!! LOL

DirtyDan 2018-12-25 01:30:55 

It also says a deciding voter cannot be wearing a green shirt or blue pants, as set in previous cases, where they weren't wearing either color.

steveo 2018-12-25 06:34:28 

In reply to goofballs

Man eye pass people thinking that they are stupid to buy his hog wash argument.

Of course, a liar has to try anything.

Man get plenty pull now that he working for Exxon, I hope he dont cause a meltdown in Guyana

dayne 2018-12-25 10:39:10 

It might be a good idea to change the system about the No-confidence vote, a simple majority vote should not be able to kick out a Government, how about a 35-30 vote. Holding new elections are expensive and disruptive for a poor country like Guyana. One man should not have all that power.

Runs 2018-12-25 11:38:53 

In reply to dayne

All campaign on changing the constitution, once in power they abscond seeing how useful it is. cool

dayne 2018-12-25 12:19:02 

In reply to Runs

Well I guess they will keep falling on their own swords.

Emir 2018-12-25 12:19:54 

In reply to Runs

Both sides may be crooked and have bad politicians- but democracy demands you pick a side and in Guyana a decent citizen who cares about building a non racial democracy only has one choice and that choice is not the opposition party because of their racial vision and a core belief among a significant cadre of their supporters- a belief that "Indo mores" is superior over Afro Guyanese.

SnoopDog 2018-12-25 12:30:30 

In reply to Mulla bin Emir

Why don’t you just fcuk right off ya hateful bigot.

Oh, and Merry Hannuka. cool

shivnotout 2018-12-25 12:47:45 

In reply to goofballs

Hughes is dumb dumb.trying to dig up ants nest.he shoulda get jail after this. remember

dumb

lol

Cardiac 2018-12-25 13:11:14 

In reply to shivnotout

Jail?

goofballs 2018-12-25 13:37:59 

In reply to steveo

Market lady (of kyat ah burn fame) seh dis is not eye pass.

It is rass pass.

goofballs 2018-12-25 13:39:53 

In reply to Dukes

Probably a good attorney?

goofballs 2018-12-25 13:44:25 

In reply to SnoopDog

The urea pile up and coming out of his brain now. razz

This government, not party, manifesto is that only PNC yes men getting jobs.
They don't know of non Christian national holidays.

This beautiful piece of work Viola lady looks like she straight from Tiger Bay and don't give a shit, just like the Tiger Bayians robbing or assaulting people in public and in bright daylight.
She ain't see nothing wrong.

goofballs 2018-12-25 13:47:13 

In reply to dayne

No-confidence vote, a simple majority vote should not be able to kick out a Government,

I agree. Two thirds sounds more reasonable, so an odd fence hopper alone would not shut down the government.
"Majority" votes for other issues are ok, but not to put the country on its knees.

Curtis 2018-12-25 14:34:11 

In reply to goofballs

You giving people from Tiger Bay a real bad name. Nuff good people in Tiger Bay.

I grew up 1 mile from there.

goofballs 2018-12-25 14:38:01 

In reply to Curtis

Ok, ok, my apologies. I should say the Tiger Bay criminals.

I used to ride past there during the daytime and evenings only when I lived in Fort St. Kingston.

Curtis 2018-12-25 16:35:58 

In reply to goofballs

Yeah? Which part, by milk plant or ministry of works?

steveo 2018-12-25 18:44:52 

Charandass speaks after reaching Canada

steveo 2018-12-25 18:54:37 

In reply to goofballs

Market lady (of kyat ah burn fame) seh dis is not eye pass.

It is rass pass.

I think Hughes acting as a fixer, they govt may be throwing money at him to solve their problem and this is what he comes up with

Runs 2018-12-25 18:58:45 

On 28TH MARCH 1979, a vote of no confidence in the British Labour government of James Callaghan was passed.

The vote was brought about by Opposition leader Margaret Thatcher and was lost by the Labour Government by one vote :311 votes to 310.

The result forced a general election which was won by Thatcher's party....

Rings a bell? cool

Maispwi 2018-12-25 19:03:19 

So 33 - 32 is good enuff to govern but not good enuff to change de Government?

goofballs 2018-12-25 19:53:50 

In reply to Curtis

Yeah? Which part, by milk plant or ministry of works?

I think it was 25 or 45 Fort st. opposite the Ministry with aunty K. Half a block to teachers training college, then seawall.

Dan_De_Lyan 2018-12-25 22:04:31 

In reply to Maispwi

So 33 - 32 is good enuff to govern but not good enuff to change de Government?

What's good for the gander and the geese mus get cook

Runs 2018-12-26 08:32:09 

In reply to goofballs

I is a Kingston man wink

goofballs 2018-12-26 12:06:18 

In reply to Runs

cool

Me all over. Waterloo st by the gardens, then Fort st then Kitty by Hare Krishna school.

Runs 2018-12-26 12:07:19 

In reply to goofballs

ok my aunt taught at Hare Krishna in the early 70’s

goofballs 2018-12-26 12:53:54 

In reply to Runs

Wow! I lived next door, next house going to market.
My younger sibs went there around that time.
How hard did she lash the kids?
(Teachers then were know by how hard they beat the kids).
razz
I think I know all the teachers then.

Runs 2018-12-26 13:10:23 

In reply to goofballs

She migrated to Canada but alas is no more, transitioned a few years ago. She was a young teacher at Rama Krishna

goofballs 2018-12-26 13:31:48 

In reply to Runs
Sorry to hear man.

Runs 2018-12-26 13:34:33 

Thanks bro was tough times, the dreaded C am sure you may have known her.

Runs 2018-12-26 14:59:36 

US based group CGID claims Charrandass vote is unconstitutional.
Oh skurs

Link Text
lol

So basically one has to show their hand and get fired before voting on a non conscience basis? Is this democracy?

Article is stating he has to declare in writing to the speaker that he is not supporting the list he is on before he casts his vote versa. Who wrote this jokey constitution?
rolleyes rolleyes

Read this for precedence Nigel

Link Text

JayMor 2018-12-26 15:36:59 

In reply to Runs

Isn't that final then, coming from the Constitution? Or is there room for some other 'interpretation'? I had a telephone discussion yesterday with Dr Dukes, elucidating the situation to the non-Muddy. Re Guyana, I feel the same way I do on Ghana: the immediate past gov't was so corrupt that I cannot support them (with the same people at the top), but I feel deeply disappointed in the current ones holding the reins. Almost a devil-and-deep-blue-sea situation.

I watched the Charrandass video on FB and also read the piece in Kaiteur News. I sympathise strongly with him; I am not at all convinced that he was selling out to the PPP. But couldn't he have demonstrated his discomfort from earlier?

--Æ.

Runs 2018-12-26 15:49:54 

In reply to JayMor

You are spot on brother many feel the same way wink

Norm 2018-12-26 17:55:00 

33-32 is not a majority?

Hahahahaha! Hahahahaha!

No wonder their asses got kicked out!

Runs 2018-12-26 18:30:07 

STATEMENT OF THE BAR COUNCIL OF THE BAR ASSOCIATION OF GUYANA

The Bar Council of the Bar Association of Guyana has noted the passage in the National Assembly of the motion in the name of the Leader of the Opposition on a vote of confidence.

It has also noted that the result of the vote, as expected, has been accepted by the Government and the President.

National and regional elections are therefore constitutionally due by the operation of Article 106(6) of the Constitution no later than Thursday, 19 March 2019 on the expiration of 90 days from 21 December 2018, when the motion was passed.

The Bar Council has noted various attempts to argue that the motion was not validly passed in the National Assembly, including from Nigel Hughes, a prominent Attorney-at-Law who contends that a positive vote of 34 members of the National Assembly was required for the passage of the motion.

The Bar Council rejects as erroneous such contentions that the motion was not properly passed or that the vote is, for any reason, invalid.

The Bar Council urges that the results and consequences of the motion be accepted and that urgent preparations for elections by the Elections Commission be started.

The giving of effect to any contentions that there is some possibility other than elections being held within 90 days of the passage of the motion could lead to instability and our democracy must be protected by the unambiguous adherence to the rule of law and to the provisions of Article 106(6) of the Constitution.

goofballs 2018-12-26 20:06:14 

In reply to Runs

US based group CGID claims Charrandass vote is unconstitutional

Just a bunch of Burnhamites trying to cause confusion, instability and to support the hooligans with thug behavior cussing out and beating de man, threatening his life.
I warned people about the Burnhamites. They just changed their skin and fooled the people who were all wanting change. Got a few opportunistic yes men who would sell their asses for power or some drinks, like Rum Sucka who open and close the rum shop daily.
Turns out the PNC was wusser than other parties. Burnham was at least smart. These jackasses don't have a clue about anything but out of such ignorance make stupid and arrogant statements like who cares about non Christian holidays. That they will employ only their people.
Burnham probably did much more evil things but maintained a clean profile to the public.

goofballs 2018-12-26 20:11:52 

In reply to goofballs

Part 2 lol
So what would they achieve by stirring up doubt, instability?
Tension, riots or whatever?
Kill each other out?

Guess what? The British and Americans would not give a rat's ass.

Granger deh pon his last straw as he prepare to meet his maker. He should do the right thing. He has been a civil guy.
I guess that the power hungry ones in the party would not listen to his peaceful approach anyhow.

Runs 2018-12-28 08:59:25 

Well this puts an end to that.

Clerk of the National Assembly Sherlock Isaacs has confirmed the validity of the Opposition-sponsored no-confidence motion, telling this media group on Thursday that he has certified the vote.

In fact, Isaacs also made it clear that he will not be conducting a review of the decision.

But outspoken political commentator Christopher Ram is at a loss as to why last Friday’s vote is being questioned, alluding that 33 out of 65 constitute a majority.

“What is a majority? A majority is the greater number or the greater part so if you’re saying 34 is the majority then what are we saying? that we have 66 members in the National Assembly or do you take away their seats? It defies logic and it defies law,” Ram opined