The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Sweet lime in Belle Garden, Tobago

sgtdjones 2019-01-14 10:31:34 

Sweet lime in Belle Garden, Tobago

An ear­ly morn­ing trip up to Belle Gar­den in the east­ern side of To­ba­go, called en­gine town, be­gan just at 6 am on De­cem­ber 28, 2018. But the prepa­ra­tion for the tra­di­tion­al an­nu­al all-day gath­er­ing at Randy Davis’s 'wood­en' get­away spot, which stands sin­gu­lar­ly atop a hill of the fam­i­ly es­tate, and over­look­ing a scenery of lush green, be­gan since Box­ing Day. Fish in all its glo­ry was go­ing to be the day’s menu.

Ap­proach­ing the house, the smell of fried fish and hot co­coa in­vad­ed my nos­trils, send­ing me back to my child­hood days liv­ing in St Barbs, Laven­tille, at my grand­moth­er’s home, where hot co­coa was a sta­ple at the break­fast ta­ble. To my left stood a mod­ern-styled out­house, even equipped with mod­ern plumb­ing fit­tings, again, send­ing me on a trip down mem­o­ry lane.

Al­ready I can see un­cle Willy (William Davis), as he is af­fec­tion­ate­ly called, an as­tute ser­vice­man, seat­ed at a makeshift ta­ble adorned with the finest ar­ray of spir­its. He is the "con­nois­seur" of “fire wa­ter” bev­er­ages, and al­so quite the co­me­di­an, pos­sess­ing a wry but yet in­fec­tious hu­mour.

He is chat­ting with one of To­ba­go’s re­al es­tate "god­fa­thers", Calvin Dick, who hap­pens to be his cousin and broth­er in glass knock­ing. It’s at least three gen­er­a­tions hud­dled at the house where these two pa­tri­archs are en­joy­ing the fruits of their labour. The jokes are non-stop, some clean while oth­ers should be cen­sored, but all the same, they bring show­ers of laugh­ter over the morn­ing menu of co­conut and fried bake ac­com­pa­nied with bat­tered fried fish.

Sa­da roti and baigan cho­ka are still to come. But in the mean­time, every­one is try­ing to ease their pant­i­ng from the pep­per hot mur­tani, made and served by a friend of the fam­i­ly, on­ly iden­ti­fied as un­cle Cha­too—a Fyz­abad na­tive liv­ing in To­ba­go.

Link Text