The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Julian Charles supports the return of Cameron

Cuter 2019-03-11 08:51:26 

Julian Charles, president of the Saint Lucia National Cricket Association (SLNCA), has gone on the record supporting the return of Dave Cameron and Emmanuel Nanthan to the leadership of Cricket West Indies (CWI).

Calling in to the News Spin programme on Real FM, Charles, who is into his 10th year as president of the SLNCA, reiterated his support for the incumbent president and vice president of CWI, saying he saw no need for change.

his comes in the face of a challenge from the ticket of former West Indies team manager and current CWI director, Ricky Skerritt.

Skerritt is running for president, alongside Dr Kishore Shallow, who is currently president of the St Vincent and The Grenadines Cricket Association and a CWI director. Shallow is running for the role of vice president.

Charles, though, has shrugged off the challenge from Skerritt and Shallow, saying that the West Indies team has been doing well, and pointing specifically to the recent Test series win over England.

“I think… in fact, I have no doubt that the investments we have made in the last four to five years are really starting to bear fruit,” he said. “We first saw evidence of that when we won the three World Cups [men’s and women’s T20 and the Under-19 World Cup] three or four years ago [2016]. And now we are seeing some real tremendous performances by the West Indies. All along the way, there were little hints, like the West Indies batted the whole day on the fifth day with just 4-5 wickets left overnight to save the match against India in Jamaica.”

Courtesy come in!! memory lane ? cool

sudden 2019-03-11 09:04:03 

In reply to Cuter

DD looking as smug as a pug in that article big grin

Courtesy 2019-03-11 09:09:21 

In reply to Cuter

No surprise here Cuter. During the Indian tour debacle I confronted him with several reasons why I thought WICB had handled the matter and the other issues leading to the fiasco badly, Charlo defended everyone of the boards' actions and even had a ringing endorsement of Dave's stewardship.

More to come. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Btw, I thought the BCA reasons and WCB reasons for supporting Dave came from the same source. I hope the resources of WICB are not being used for PR for the Presidential elections. I certainly hope not.

While I am at it...Folks, please be reminded of the Skerrit/Shallow live 2 hour session on reformimg West Indies cricket @ 6.30pm in Barbados today.

sudden 2019-03-11 09:36:02 

In reply to Courtesy

will that be carried live?

Courtesy 2019-03-11 09:39:34 

In reply to sudden

Yep. On UWI tv global

Link.

Courtesy 2019-03-11 18:34:45 

It has started please give a listen.

imusic 2019-03-11 18:44:19 

So hold on.

The evaluation metric for CWI President is based on how the team performs?

Interesting, given that there are those that opine that the metric should be based on sponsorship deals, administrative competence or lack thereof etc

If it is truly based on the performance of the team, how on earth did the incumbent get re-elected the first time?

And if it’s based on how the team performs, this last T20 series must have done some major damage to the incumbent’s re-election chances

sudden 2019-03-11 19:03:21 

In reply to Courtesy

where is Dr Shallow from?

sudden 2019-03-11 19:06:10 

Bloody poor speaker

sudden 2019-03-11 19:07:25 

Skerritt has come prepared. i like that. let the facts speak for themselves

sudden 2019-03-11 19:09:22 

you go Skerritt. you come not to praise Cameron but to bury him

sudden 2019-03-11 19:09:48 

wait that is Powen?

sudden 2019-03-11 19:12:09 

i am early impressed with Skerritt

sudden 2019-03-11 19:40:27 

Skerritt doing well but it may be for naught

positiveg 2019-03-11 19:49:37 

In reply to Courtesy

I hope the resources of WICB are not being used for PR for the Presidential elections. I certainly hope not.

Keep hoping, that's exactly what they are doing. Cameron running this thing like Trump. nepotism in full tilt.
I heard his (Cameron) office in JA is housed in a building what he owns. So CWI is paying for an office, that he Cameron own so he putting that money directly in his pocket.

imusic 2019-03-11 20:05:45 

In reply to positiveg

Didn’t Hunte do the same thing? Matter of fact, weren’t the renovations for Hunte’s office, an office that was also Hunte’s property, completely paid for by the then WICB?

sudden 2019-03-11 20:11:01 

gotta say i like what Skerritt is saying

sudden 2019-03-11 20:17:44 

Skerritt shouldnt let Shallow take at all

Dukes 2019-03-11 20:18:21 

In reply to sudden

Bloody poor speaker

Have you heard the Incumbent Vice-President?

sudden 2019-03-11 20:19:56 

In reply to Dukes

Nanthan is my brethren. watch yuh mout yeh big grin

InHindsight 2019-03-11 20:48:24 

In reply to Courtesy

So my bro what are your thoughts on Skerrit and Shallow?

InHindsight 2019-03-11 20:51:07 

In reply to imusic

Music i drive past the "Hunte Office" you speak of daily and will say that he is given a bad rap on this

Courtesy 2019-03-11 21:14:00 

In reply to InHindsight

Let me say from the very outset that Skerrit/Shallow are facing an uphill task as the current constructs and lodge-like membership of CWI are steep to conquer. This is not a democracy they are dealing with here. Having said this, they fell short in articulating their vision. I would have liked to see the following:

* They needed to develop their 10-point plan at least to the stage of strategic imperatives and later developing a comprehensive strategic plan.

* They seem to lack familiarity with their own 10-point system

* They did not highlight sufficiently what is wrong with the current system

* They appear afraid to dwell on their opponent's weaknesses and how it affects negatively West Indies cricket.

* They didn't expound on stakeholder input and how they would approach this esp. private sector partnerships

* I suspect Dr. Shallow has not had much exposure to public speaking and he was not convincing enough

* They had no strategy to negate Cameron's political approach to re-election except trying to be diplomatic.

* They could have harped upon the need for CWI to have a strong working relationship with CARICOM to advance cricket in the region.

* They never gave details of how they would lower the current excesses of the spend to mitigate against the seasonality of the cash flow..

* They needed to tell us which cost centres they would cut to achieve their re-prioritization.

Having said this, would I have voted for them? YES...they came across as having a fair grasp of the issues, genuine, concerned and committed.

openning 2019-03-11 21:15:19 

I am not move by Ricky, Skerritt, changing one old chair for another, and not looking at other international sporting organizations, will end like all previous boards.
The President?Chairman and directors, must be Independent of all regional boards.

imusic 2019-03-11 21:21:06 

In reply to InHindsight

Music i drive past the "Hunte Office" you speak of daily and will say that he is given a bad rap on this

You “on the ground” so I defer to you. I just posted what I believe was reported.

Would be good if you can expand on how it’s a bad rap

Thanks

InHindsight 2019-03-11 21:56:54 

In reply to Courtesy

Well articulated. my thoughts were similar.

I was particularly disappointed that they were not ready tgo expound on their 10 point plan.

Dukes 2019-03-11 22:10:19 

I was impressed by Skerritt who came across as a genuine leader.I am not looking for a grade A Genius,merely somebody whose life experience and cricket knowledge and management skills that are appropriate for the job.There is a binary choice,not to determine whether these guys are perfect but that they would represent a significant improvement on the incumbent. Their demeanor, qualifications and attitude suggest that they would do a significantly better job than Cameron.

Yamfoot 2019-03-11 22:33:59 

In reply to sudden

St Vincent.

He got better as the forum progressed. I too thought he started out shakily.

Yamfoot 2019-03-11 22:40:02 

In reply to InHindsight and Courtesy

The format was a discussion forum rather than a presentation.

In a public forum like tonight’s was, they may have been cautious about giving away too much.

It was more a session for people to ask questions.

Skerritt did talk about collaboration with CARICOm especially with grassroots cricket. It would need to be part of curricula.

Agree with you about cutting excesss, but I dont think they have a full picture since they are on the outskirts, rather than CWI employees.

camos 2019-03-12 09:22:48 

CWI approach to reform is like the Israeli's to the Palestinian problem, delay as long as possible!