The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Bribery Mastermind

Casper 2019-03-13 03:08:07 

The author of “Getting In: Gaining Admission to the College of your Choice” was charged with racketeering, money laundering, conspiracy, and obstruction of justice, according to a criminal complaint.

Bribes to Get Into Yale and Stanford? What Else Is New?

It’s a galling exposé of widespread cheating by families who are already well-to-do and well connected, but it’s not really a surprising one. Anyone who knows anything about the cutthroat competition for precious spots at top-tier schools realizes how ugly and unfair it can be: how many corners are cut, how many schemes are hatched, how big a role money plays, how many advantages privilege can buy.

The Jared Kushner story was uncovered more than a decade ago by Daniel Golden, who showcased it in his 2006 book, “The Price of Admission,” a definitive account of the strings pulled by rich families like Kushner’s. Jared did get into Harvard, despite grades and test scores that were, according to Golden’s reporting, well below what Harvard typically wants.

I spoke with Golden just after the Justice Department detailed the bribery and fraud scam, which he characterized as “an extreme outgrowth of what I wrote about.”

When struggling Americans seethe at “the elite,” they mean parents who exploit their station to try to guarantee it for their kids. They mean the self-regarding colleges that allow that to happen.

When they say that the system is rigged, they have this kind of wrongdoing - and the widely accepted and entirely legal shenanigans that are none too far from it - in mind. Our country’s best schools are supposed to be engines of social mobility and the gateways to dreams. Sometimes they’re just another sour deal.

Bigzinc 2019-03-13 09:03:06 

In reply to Casper

Wealthy people in the gta rent homes near a top school just for the address so that their kids can go to the school.. what else is knew...

camos 2019-03-13 09:09:00 

In reply to Bigzinc

that is legal,I am sure for the rent paid they could send them to private schools!

Bigzinc 2019-03-13 09:30:54 

In reply to Casper

Sports recruiting scam