The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Pres­i­den­tial de­ci­sion day for 12 West In­dies di­rec­tors

sgtdjones 2019-03-24 11:38:32 

Pres­i­den­tial de­ci­sion day for 12 West In­dies di­rec­tors

Cameron vs Skerritt

In 2013 when Dave Cameron as­sumed the role of pres­i­dent of Crick­et West In­dies (CWI) he beat the in­cum­bent Julien Hunte by a 7-5 mar­gin and if all goes well for him at the pres­i­den­tial elec­tions he could walk away by the same mar­gin.

As the Ja­maican faces a chal­lenge from for­mer Windies man­ag­er Ricky Sker­ritt at the elec­tions at the Ja­maica Pe­ga­sus Ho­tel, to­day, he will be hop­ing to add to his six sure votes. He goes in with the ad­van­tage be­cause he is as­sured of six of the 12 pos­si­ble votes. He has the sup­port of Bar­ba­dos, Guyana, and the Wind­ward Is­lands.

How­ev­er, he was nom­i­nat­ed by those three coun­tries, as well as Ja­maica.

Sker­ritt is as­sured of four votes as he has the sup­port of the Lee­ward Is­lands and T&T. If Cameron can get one of the votes from Ja­maica he will win 7-5. If he can't then the count will be 6-6 and the par­ties will re­cess for a month be­fore an­oth­er vote is tak­en. So at the mo­ment, Cameron finds him­self in a bet­ter po­si­tion to re­tain his po­si­tion. His run­ning mate is Em­man­u­al Nan­ton, while Sker­ritt has as his run­ning mate Kishore Shal­low who is a di­rec­tor on the West In­dies board.

Each ter­ri­to­ry has two votes at the elec­tions and the two men rep­re­sent­ing T&T will be To­ba­go's Ker­wyn John who is a vice-pres­i­dent of the TTCB and Sukesh Ma­ni­am who is the trea­sur­er of the TTCB.

Cameron says that mov­ing for­ward he wants to bet­ter re­la­tions with play­ers and con­tin­ue to build an im­pres­sive busi­ness mod­el for the board. When he as­sumed the pres­i­den­cy the board was in the red and he was able to take it in­to the black. He has been cred­it­ed with the for­ma­tion of the Pro­fes­sion­al Crick­et League (PCL).

Sker­ritt wants bet­ter fund­ing of the ter­ri­to­r­i­al boards and plans to in­vest heav­i­ly in­to youth de­vel­op­ment at the grass­roots lev­el. He al­so wants to give more pow­er to the in­di­vid­ual ter­ri­to­ries.

Guardian Me­dia Sports take a clos­er look at both can­di­dates.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2019-03-24 11:39:28 

DAVE CAMERON

Cameron, 48, has served as the vice pres­i­dent of the St. Ann Parish As­so­ci­a­tion, Team Man­ag­er and Pres­i­dent of Kens­ing­ton Crick­et Club. He was al­so Trea­sur­er for the Ja­maica Crick­et As­so­ci­a­tion.

He at­tend­ed Clan Carthy Pri­ma­ry School in Kingston, Ja­maica and has a first-class ho­n­ours BSc in Ho­tel Man­age­ment from the Uni­ver­si­ty of the West In­dies.

A WICB di­rec­tor since 2002, Cameron served as vice-pres­i­dent dur­ing Ju­lian Hunte's tenure as pres­i­dent, 2007-13. In the 2013 elec­tion, Cameron beat the in­cum­bent Hunte 7-5. His run­ning mate, Em­manuel Nan­than of Do­mini­ca, be­came the new vice-pres­i­dent, beat­ing Bar­ba­dos Crick­et As­so­ci­a­tion pres­i­dent Joel Gar­ner.

His term has been marked by a de­lib­er­ate busi­ness-like and dis­tant re­la­tion­ship with play­ers, but with an open door. He played against Chris Gayle in club crick­et.

Al­though he's usu­al­ly re­ferred to by his nick­name 'Dave', his giv­en name is Why­cliffe, named af­ter Ja­maica's fa­mous late me­dia per­son­al­i­ty, Wycliffe Ben­nett.

He was a Sun­light and Tap­pin Cup play­er in the 1980s and is re­mem­bered as a de­struc­tive mid­dle or­der bats­man and fear­less off-spin­ner, but his first time rep­re­sent­ing Ja­maica in a sport was not in crick­et, but at the World cham­pi­onships in pis­tol shoot­ing in South Africa in 2002.

Fierce­ly com­pet­i­tive since "re­tir­ing" from crick­et and com­pet­i­tive shoot­ing, he has turned his at­ten­tion to squash and golf, where he cur­rent­ly is a 12 hand­i­cap.

He's known in fi­nan­cial in­dus­try cir­cles for over 15 years of con­sis­tent and suc­cess­ful in­vest­ment man­age­ment per­for­mance. His sec­ond job out of uni­ver­si­ty, where he earned a first-class ho­n­ours BSc in Ho­tel Man­age­ment from UWI, was as man­ag­er of the Dunn's Riv­er Falls at­trac­tion in Ocho Rios.

He con­sid­ers his wife Con­nie, of 13 years, and his four chil­dren ages 11 to 21 the cen­tre of his world. In fact, he de­fines hap­pi­ness as "hav­ing the fam­i­ly hap­py".

De­scribed as the com­plete sports­man, he ex­cels at al­most every sport he's ever played, but deep down, re­al­ly wish­es he'd been born with a tal­ent for singing.

His favourite words, per­son­al mantra, and guid­ing phi­los­o­phy are: All men are cre­at­ed equal.

Cameron's quote af­ter the fir­ing of for­mer coach Phil Sim­mons.

“I think we made a bad de­ci­sion when we hired Phil and we had to get out of that sit­u­a­tion oth­er­wise we would not be where we are to­day. If you look at the per­for­mances, the ut­ter­ances …”

sgtdjones 2019-03-24 11:40:34 

RICHARD SKER­RITT

Richard "Ricky" Sker­ritt, 62, is a politi­cian and for­mer Cab­i­net Min­is­ter in St. Kitts and Nevis. He holds a Bach­e­lor’s De­gree from the Uni­ver­si­ty of the Vir­gin Is­lands and an M.Sc. De­gree from Ox­ford Uni­ver­si­ty, where he was a Rhodes Schol­ar.

He first served as Min­is­ter of State for Tourism, Sports & Cul­ture from No­vem­ber 2004. He was then ap­point­ed Min­is­ter of Tourism & In­ter­na­tion­al Trans­port fol­low­ing the 2010 elec­tions. In Feb­ru­ary 2013, In­ter­na­tion­al Trade, In­dus­try, Com­merce& Con­sumer Af­fairs were added to his re­spon­si­bil­i­ties.

Sker­ritt has sig­nif­i­cant ex­pe­ri­ence in pri­vate en­ter­prise, eco­nom­ic de­vel­op­ment, com­mu­ni­ty ser­vice, and pro­fes­sion­al sports. Over the years, he has spear­head­ed St. Kitts’ growth in air ser­vice and pi­o­neered the is­land’s cruise sec­tor which has been de­vel­oped in­to a lead­ing eco­nom­ic dri­ver.

Sker­ritt is a for­mer Chair­man of the Coun­cil of Min­is­ters of the Caribbean Tourism Or­gan­i­sa­tion (CTO), where he ini­ti­at­ed sig­nif­i­cant re­forms. Crit­i­cized for his per­for­mance was Windies man­ag­er back in the day, some say that this has dis­qual­i­fied him as a can­di­date to lead the re­gion's gov­ern­ing body.

Back in 2000, Sker­rit re­signed as Windies man­ag­er fol­low­ing a post-game in­ci­dent in­volv­ing mem­bers of his squad af­ter a 10-wick­et loss to Eng­land in the First Test at Sabi­na Park.

Sker­ritt's res­ig­na­tion quote as Windies Team man­ag­er on March 22, 2004, af­ter four years in the po­si­tion.

In his res­ig­na­tion let­ter to Ted­dy Grif­fith, pres­i­dent of the then West In­dies Crick­et Board, Sker­ritt wrote, “I re­gret that, de­spite my best ef­forts, I have been un­able to in­stil in the en­tire team the fullest un­der­stand­ing of their oblig­a­tions on and off the field to the peo­ple of the West In­dies.”