The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Aguilleira ready to embark on a new journey

sgtdjones 2019-04-26 13:55:28 

Aguilleira ready to embark on a new journey

FORMER West Indies women team cricket captain Merissa Aguilleira is ready to embark on a new journey, after she has hung up her bat and gloves, at the international level. The 33-year-old wicketkeeper/batsman made this announcement at a TT Cricket Board (TTCB) function, at the TTCB headquarters, National Cricket Centre, Balmain, Couva, on Wednesday evening, hours after the Cricket West Indies (CWI) announced her retirement from the international circuit.“Don’t feel sad for me, because I’m happy,” said Aguilleira.

“One chapter has finished and I’m going to start another chapter.” Aguilleira, a devout Christian, acknowledged, “I know that God has called on me for a divine purpose on this earth, and I know that my voice will be heard.”

She continued, “I have started something with my sponsor Atlantic LNG. They have built a platform for me to inspire the younger generation.” Aguilleira said, “I am here on a mission to take women’s cricket to the next level. I am willing and able to represent West Indies cricket outside of the field.”

Link Text

positiveg 2019-04-26 14:02:23 

Really good for her.
Life after cricket.

sgtdjones 2019-04-26 14:07:23 

Skerrit, TTCB praise Aguilleira's career

"Meris­sa has giv­en be­yond her best dur­ing her years of ded­i­cat­ed ser­vice to crick­et," said head of Crick­et West In­dies (CWI), Richard Sker­ritt, on Wednes­day at a farewell func­tion host­ed by the T&T Crick­et Board (TTCB) at its Bal­main, Cou­va head­quar­ters, for Meris­sa Aguilleira who re­cent­ly an­nounced her res­ig­na­tion from play­ing com­pet­i­tive crick­et.

Aguilleira was cel­e­brat­ed for her con­tri­bu­tion to the sport over the years at the gath­er­ing which had TTCB pres­i­dent Az­im Bas­sarath and Cou­va South MP Rudranath In­dars­ingh in at­ten­dance.

"I am proud to have giv­en sev­er­al years to WI. Play­ing and win­ning the World Cup was the high point of my ca­reer," said Aguilleira, who wants to see a U-19 women’s World Cup com­pe­ti­tion in the near fu­ture.

Link Text