The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Kudos for the X-Man, the history maker?

Drapsey 2019-04-27 21:36:50 

Former Windies, Jamaica Opener, Xavier Marshall drags US to ODI status

The United States have now attained One-Day International status for the first time in their history, thanks in large part to former West Indies and Jamaica opener, Xavier Marshall.

Marshall scored an even 100 during the USA's World Cricket League Division Two match against Hong Kong at United Cricket Club in Namibia.

Hopefully you'll make way more than the forfeited Stanford $m.

Tryangle 2019-04-28 00:53:12 

One for the trivia buffs...

Xavier Marshall joined a unique club of now just 11 players who have played One Day Internationals for Two Nations

The other 10?:

Kepler Wessels
Clayton Lambert
Anderson Cummins
Dougie Brown
Geraint Jones
Ed Joyce
Eoin Morgan
Boyd Rankin
Luke Ronchi
Mark Chapman

anandgb 2019-04-28 01:38:51 

In reply to Tryangle

Didn't Bacchus play for WI and Canada?

Narper 2019-04-28 02:22:03 

In reply to anandgb

The USA joins Oman and Namibia as the other teams to earn ODI status, with Papua New Guinea and Canada fighting for the final spot.

I believe Canada played WC before...maybe they had lost the ODI status

Kay 2019-04-28 02:33:44 

Papa Ginee murder The USA earlier today. X-Man score 11.....

Arawak 2019-04-28 12:07:45 

I don't see the point of countries with no indigenous cricket playing in the international arena.

Canada, USA, UAE, etc... it's just a bunch of second rate overseas players getting a second chance. What's the point?

The argument has been made that it somehow develops local cricket, but it surely doesn't. In the 25 years that I have played and been involved in cricket in Canada there has been no observable increase in the number of home grown players of any calibre. In fact if anything, it has become even harder for a kid of some random background to get involved with the game at any level.

I'd prefer to see the ICC require evidence of real inclusive domestic cricket programs before countries can advance to ODI status.

solidrock 2019-04-28 12:16:47 

In reply to Drapsey

Well done X-man.

granite 2019-04-28 13:12:54 

In reply to Arawak
The problem is USA football caught on with almost 100% immigrants,they are now producing some home grown,It coud happen in cricket but time create change.

natty_forever 2019-04-28 14:45:59 

In reply to Arawak … hoping in time it will grow. You saying the tail wagging the dawg? Watch it become a Olympic sport if USA team is any good.

big grin

Tryangle 2019-04-28 15:40:27 

In reply to Arawak

My understanding is that the majority of the US team are at least first or second generation Americans - it's not a situation like UAE where they're pretty much immigrants from Pakistan etc.

I agree that the US and Canada have failed to make cricket develop in any significance outside the WI/subcontinent diaspora, that's on them to work on.

The ICC of course see the potential of $ with the success of the US, so maybe them getting ODI status will stimulate them to really do more than pay lip service to 'emerging nations'.

On the Bacchus question, the US didn't have ODI status at the time, so no stats, no "Internationals". Yep, dumb cricket logic. Thank goodness that crap no longer exists in the T20I sphere.

Raskil 2019-04-29 03:14:24 

In reply to Arawak

Without the Dominican Republic baseball would be long gone...
That’s the life support factor

Let’s hope that WITH foreign nurturing, cricket will start to grow...

Like someone mentioned above, soccer is taking it’s sweet time but it is going to be the future

ThisIsMyName 2019-04-30 01:41:33 

Karima Gore, Steven Taylor, Jassdeep Singh, Aaron Jones, Nosthush Kenjige, and Hayden Walsh Jr. are all born in the States. 6 members out of a squad of 15 is not bad for a sport that is mostly immigrant only.

Arawak 2019-04-30 17:12:15 

In reply to granite

The problem is USA football caught on with almost 100% immigrants,they are now producing some home grown,It coud happen in cricket but time create change.

Football has been played in schools since forever. Yes, it was mainly the ppl with vowels at the ends of their last names who were playing it to any level worth speaking of, but every school kid got exposed to it in gym class at least. The few who were interested in going further could, and many did.

Not so with cricket, at least up here in Canada. Yes, I know there are some initiatives in the GTA to run juniors programmes, but even in the shittobatty leagues I play in that has not translated into a single player who is not from a cricketing country, or their parents were. You don't see Chinese kids, or Philipino kids, or Dutch kids, or anyone who is not from the subcontinent.

It's not that people aren't interested. Every year our club gets one or two people who want to try cricket. We've had a few stick for a few years. But if you don't speak Hindustani or Punjabi or Tamil, or Sinhalese or whatever flavour your club happens to be, you soon end up talking to yourself. It's just not a welcoming atmosphere. The (few remaining, dwindling) West Indian clubs are somewhat better.. at least they know how to *enjoy* the game. But it's still hard to go from a 13 yr-old kid with an interest to a 18 yr old playing any kind of semi-serious cricket if you don't belong to that community.

So... if you have few indigenous (meaning anyone who has learned their cricket in that country) players playing in the leagues, how do you get them into regional teams, let alone national teams? And if you don't have them coming up... what really is the point in including these "national" teams at the highest tier of cricket? At least if you required some sort of demonstrated indigenous program there would be an incentive for these countries to *grow* the game.

Arawak

Ayenmol 2019-04-30 22:28:32 

In reply to Arawak

Why am I getting a 503 error constantly since Sunday?...

I can only access the site from one particular internet connection.

Arawak 2019-05-01 12:56:24 

Since you post a problem report like a QA Analyst, I'll respond like a Developer:

"Works on my machine"

Larr Pullo 2019-05-01 13:45:14 

In reply to Arawak

Your Application Pools were down...

Arawak 2019-05-01 13:54:17 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Closed for the season. Pools open mid May.

eXodus 2019-05-01 16:06:20 

In reply to Arawak

app pools? iis?

***pulls a usain bolt out of thread****

Drapsey 2019-05-02 10:16:17 

In reply to Arawak

I have the same issue as Ayenmol.

To gain access, like now, I have to remotely log in to "work" and gain access from there.

Drapsey 2019-05-02 10:22:13 

In reply to Arawak

It now works.

Sorry about that "false" report.

Priapus 2019-05-02 10:55:33 

Oh wow!! Just a mention of the X-man was enough to make the site inaccessible to his biggest fans on here. Lingering effects of the high grade weed?