The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

John Kapoor guilty

Chrissy 2019-05-02 23:50:08 

Opioid Executive John Kapoor Found Guilty In Landmark Bribery Case

A jury in Boston has found onetime billionaire and drug company executive John Kapoor and his four co-defendants guilty of a racketeering conspiracy. The verdict came Wednesday after 15 days of deliberation.

The federal government accused Kapoor, the founder of Insys Therapeutics, and his co-defendants of running a nationwide bribery scheme. Between 2012 and 2015, Insys allegedly paid doctors to prescribe its potent opioid medication and then lied to insurance companies to ensure that the expensive fentanyl-based painkiller would be covered.

Kapoor is among the highest-ranking pharmaceutical executives to face trial amid a national opioid epidemic. By pursuing this case, the federal government was seen as sending a message that it is holding drug companies accountable for their role in the epidemic.

The guilty verdict could strengthen the cases against other pharmaceutical executives implicated in the opioid crisis.

"Today's convictions mark the first successful prosecution of top pharmaceutical executives for crimes related to the illicit marketing and prescribing of opioids," U.S. Attorney Andrew E. Lelling said in a statement. "Just as we would street-level drug dealers, we will hold pharmaceutical executives responsible for fueling the opioid epidemic by recklessly and illegally distributing these drugs, especially while conspiring to commit racketeering along the way."

Greed on steroids!!!

Bigzinc 2019-05-03 12:55:21 

In reply to Chrissy

yep... but sheer hypocrisy since trump gave his friends billions in tax cuts... but that is legal greed...

all these venal people should be thrown in jail...the makers of these powerful drugs pay doctors to prescribe them and then patients get addicted. Lives are destroyed but hey, the rich get richer and the stock market climbs higher and higher...which is all that ultimately matters...

its why i am enjoying James H on jeopardy.. man using all his smarts and years of accumulated knowledge to enrich himself.. no trickery or venality.

granite 2019-05-03 19:42:21 

In reply to Bigzinc
The shyte going on for years.

goofballs 2019-05-03 19:58:22 

In reply to Bigzinc

James H on jeopardy.. man using all his smarts and years of accumulated knowledge to enrich himself.. no trickery or venality.

You sure about that?
Total trust in media?
Half a minute commercial costs up to $2 Million.
What if the contest gains super extra fame and following for weeks by someone winning a chicken feed $2M?

When I first migrated I was told to go get the driver's license conversion in the infamous DC.. They give you a bank of 20 questions with answers to prepare, then will give you a test on 10 of the same questions.

I ain't saying anything.
(Wuss has been done, more prominently).

The contestant did nothing with his life before?

Oh wait, just the right person......a professional gambler!!
I ain't saying nuttin. smile

Chrissy 2019-05-03 21:17:26 

In reply to Bigzinc

Agree

Casper 2019-05-04 03:12:52 

In reply to Chrissy

Just waiting to see what kind of sentence he will be getting and what kind of prison.

Chrissy 2019-05-04 09:55:47 

In reply to Casper

Let me put it this way - Kapoor is a guppy when it comes to opiates - they need to catch some of the great whites. lol