The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Cocoa made my point - interview skill important

powen001 2019-07-05 22:00:23 

15 year old Coco. Loved for skill and calmness and newness on the court and surprise surprise in front of the microphone.
She
Was intentionally taught by her parents how to do interviews with mock questions in preparation for the inevitable.

Nothing elitist or insulting or spiteful about it.
It is common sense and a part of ones skill set in branding oneself in the market place.

Now y’all can continue to wallow in the bottom of the barrel with excuses for big hard back men who can’t string two bloody sentences together and accept that management should ignore it as important to ones professional career in cricket.

Leaving that there

Ayenmol 2019-07-05 22:38:29 

In reply to powen001

Here here.

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-07-05 22:45:52 

The ATP and WTA have programs for the development of their young players.

Drapsey 2019-07-05 23:00:18 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

The ATP and WTA have programs for the development of their young players.

You think the ICC (and/or the WICB) should emulate?

powen001 2019-07-06 01:44:08 

In reply to Drapsey

Thats Rhetorical ent? big grin

hotarobin 2019-07-07 11:16:58 

In reply to powen001

That has always been my argument. West Indies players need to be trained for this. I am sick of terms like "I backed myself to do it" and "from strength to strength"! I gawk when I hear them spew that foolishness. I have been saying for years that they should be taught to stand in front of a camera and represent the brand in a credible manner. They don't have to be presidential just intelligent enough to communicate effectively. It should be mandatory for them to join a Toastmasters group.

Congratulations to 15 year old Coco!

camos 2019-07-07 12:48:39 

In reply to hotarobin

bullshit! beat ball or take wickets, that's how players should demonstrate their worthiness , public speaking should be individual pursuits for those aspiring to media jobs or politics in their post playing days.

black 2019-07-07 13:20:45 

In reply to powen001

I'm afraid it's not as easy as you make it sound, Coco was groomed for a sport geared towards individual performances. It would be dereliction of duty if her parents didn't prepare her for such an outcome.

Proper speaking is taught in the home, it's always going to be a struggle for someone who has not been taught proper speaking in the home. It's not impossible to overcome but harder.

Emir 2019-07-07 14:04:32 

In reply to powen001

No sir, No Sir, this is not a problem affecting our cricket at all.

The only problem affecting our cricket is the plantation model that govern our sport- everything else is symptoms.

Now, why pick on our cricketers for their perceived lack of public speaking skills? Just look at the politicians, business leaders, news reporters on TV, civil service employees etc they are terrible and this is suppose to be a critical part of their job description.

So why pick on these young kids, why not pick on the education system that is flawed?