The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Sir Garfield Sobers

seaegg99 2020-04-18 23:22:49 

Link Text

TheTrail 2020-04-19 02:34:19 

The wifey and I watched that game three days ago. Man, that was classic batting by Sobers. He put some licks on all those bowlers, especially the fast bowlers.

We also watched the first test between England and the West Indies at Kensington Oval in its entirety on Roku, where Hetmyer scored 81.

My wife said that he should have scored a century in that match, and I agree.
I would suggest to Hetmeyer to cut out what he should have done with a dot ball. It cost him his wicket in that match.

seaegg99 2020-04-19 16:09:19 

In reply to TheTrail

Just watching the feet alone was enough. Watched Viv, GG and Kelli yesterday as well. Guys walked out knowing that someone had to work hard to get them out. Still trying to figure out how they would get Sobers out with the types of bats they have today. He could stand in his crease and hit a spinner out of the those big fields on offside or legside. Tremendous bat speed.

Dukes 2020-04-19 16:33:12 

In reply to seaegg99

When Sir Donald Bradman speaks only fools do not listen.

seaegg99 2020-04-19 16:50:12 

Always remember that little hop when he played off the backfoot. The added power that came with it. Sitll remember Vivian in the covers stopping two then just watching the third whistle buy without making an attempt to put his hands to it.

Dukes 2020-04-19 18:52:09 

In reply to seaegg99

Sitll remember Vivian in the covers stopping two then just watching the third whistle buy without making an attempt to put his hands to it.

I take it you are referring to his innings in collaboration with Charlie Davis in 1972 at the Mecca, a partnership that saved the test match and series for the West Indies.Sobers has an extremely poor record against New Zealand and I suspect it was because they were the weakest test team during his time and he did not regard them as a challenge and allowed others to "fill their boots" against them.Rowe,Davis Kallicharran and Fredericks certainly did and before that series Carew and Nurse did also.

What struck me was that when the WI were in danger of losing to New Zealand,Sobers put his head down and scored 142 priceless runs.That told me that if he had the mentality of a Tendulkar or a Lara he could have scored so much more.

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-04-19 19:08:29 

In reply to Dukes

In those days stats were not readily available especially in real time to players as they are currently.

If Sobers generation and Richards generation had it they would have scored even more heavily.

doosra 2020-04-19 19:25:06 

Babulall had the best seat

Btw i see someone with shades of shades of sobers' square cut and no it's not lara

Dukes 2020-04-19 19:37:38 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Sobers could never bully Bangladesh or Zimbabwe to help boost his average

Sarwan scored 261* against Bangladesh but does not rate that innings as anywhere near some of his best innings such as his fourth innings 100's against Australia and Sri Lanka to help win test matches.

seaegg99 2020-04-19 19:44:41 

In reply to Dukes

Sobers tended not to take advantage. Unltil when needed that is.

Baje 2020-04-19 19:57:31 

In reply to seaegg99

Playing too much cricket wore Sobers out. Playing in England/Australia and West Indies. Bowling fast, slow and still expected to bat. I tink he took things easy unless he had to. However a bbatting average of 57 is wow!

seaegg99 2020-04-20 01:03:03 

In reply to Baje

His average was over 60 for many of those years and he didn't try to pad his stats with the weaker teams.