The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Lance Gibb, started out like Bishoo

openning 2020-04-21 23:32:15 

He just said on the Mason and guest show, he started as a Leg Spinner, but could not bowl the Googly

Dukes 2020-04-22 13:36:02 

In reply to openning

lol lol lol lol lol lol

openning 2020-04-22 15:53:58 

In reply to Dukes
tell me your take on something he said, there was no follow up question by the Andrews.
Lance said he was playing in a test at Bourda, he was bowling from an end, which was not his favourite end, and he had gotten a number of wickets from the other end.
David Holford was bowling from his favourite end, A fan called out to Gary, and said," You are bowling Gibbs from the wrong end," Gary then changed the end of the bowlers, and Gibbs when on to take six wickets, from his favourite end

Dukes 2020-04-22 16:43:18 

In reply to openning

THIS MATCH

I have no recollection of that incident but I watched this entire match.Being a Sobers fan I was quite pissed with Lance for a ridiculous shot he played that cost Garry a chance to score a century in each innings!!!

openning 2020-04-22 17:55:44 

In reply to Dukes

Was there a match at Bourda, that Lance took 9 wickets in an Inning.
He said he ad 3 wickets at one end, and six after being given the ball, at his favourite end.
I would want to know from Lance, the team discussion going into the game, his conversations with Gary during the inning.
The Podcast is not up, but it will be interesting to here posters take on Lance comments.
From what I get from him, he was very close to the 3'W's, at the start of a tour to England, Sir Frank told the press, that Lance will be the top wicket taker, even with Val and Ram in the squad, Bradman think it was crazy, to say such a thing.
Lance said, he never had to bowl around the wicket, because of his bounce and using the crease.
He went on to say, the bounce hit the bat at part of the bat, different to the ball with little bounce.

Oilah 2020-04-22 18:08:47 

In reply to Dukes

Kanhai and Sobers 150 each...repeated 1973 3rd test

Dukes 2020-04-22 19:12:39 

In reply to openning

From what I get from him, he was very close to the 3'W's, at the start of a tour to England, Sir Frank told the press, that Lance will be the top wicket taker, even with Val and Ram in the squad, Bradman think it was crazy, to say such a thing

That was the tour of Australia in 1960-61 but Lance got injured just before the first test and only played the last 3 tests.He had 3 wickets in 4 balls in his first and a hat -trick in his second and ended the series with 19 wickets at 20 apiece.
Lance has admitted to not liking to bowl around the wicket because he felt he would lose his line.Some people thought he would have gotten more LBW decisions if he bowled around the wicket.He only got 21 LBW decisions in his 309 test wickets.

Dukes 2020-04-22 19:23:30 

In reply to openning

Just looked it up for off-break bowlers with more than 300 test wickets and their LBW decisions.Note all these bowlers bowled around the wicket from time to time whereas Gibbs did not

1.Murali 150 LBW out of 800 dismissals
2.Ashwin 76 LBW out of 365 dismissals
3.Harbajan 68 LBW out of 417 dismissals
4.Lyons 52 LBW out of 390 dismissals
5.Gibbs 21 LBW out of 309 dismissals

openning 2020-04-22 19:29:04 

In reply to Dukes

He mention Berkley Gaskin as one of the players that assisted him.
With his height and run up, he was able to spin and bounce the ball, he dont see any of the guys spinning the ball, because they bowl from a few steps.
He consider himself as an attacking bowler.
He spoke about bowling to Viv for the first time, the first ball, Viv moved out the leg stump and hit the ball for four, the next ball was straight, Viv tried the same shot, and was bowled.
I wanted something to happened to his fingers, every time he played against Barbados.

Just looked it up for off-break bowlers with more than 300 test wickets and their LBW decisions.Note all these bowlers bowled around the wicket from time to time whereas Gibbs did not

I will post the Podcast, as soon as it is available.
You will hear the reason for him, not bowling around the wicket.
BTW, he referent the teams he played against, and teams playing today.

Dukes 2020-04-22 21:25:39 

In reply to openning

Thanks. Look forward to hearing that podcast.

Dukes 2020-04-22 21:33:07 

In reply to openning

Berkeley Gaskin was a very close friend of my father.He was President of the Demerara Cricket Club,home of Gibbs, Lloyd,Colin Wiltshire,Carlyle Miller and Philbert Blair and also the latter part of Roy Fredericks career.
Berkley certainly had the gift of the Gab and was one of the most charismatic people I have ever met.He spoke of Headley as the best WI batsman ever including Sobers and the 3 W's.
When he was backing you he was all in.The famous story of him boasting to all and sundry that Clive Lloyd was the next great WI batsman in 1966 when he was Manager of the B.G team.Of course Sobers got Lloyd out for a duck in the first Innings and proceeded to tease Berkley.Without hesitation he said wait for the second innings, such was his confidence in Lloyd.The rest is history,Lloyd scored a century in that second innings and followed up with 194 against Jamaica at Sabina Park.

granite 2020-04-26 09:53:42 

In reply to openning
I once thought of trying a leg break to a very good batsman at practice,never forgot his name Dave Shepherd,I'm sure he could have made it to an England team had he stuck to cricket and not become a teacher.Anyway I always bowled a quickish off cutter,on this day I ran up and bowled a wrist spinner hoping to bowl a leg break,instead it turned out to be a googly and clean bowled Dave,everyone had a laugh,second ball tried for a legbreak again but yet another googly that got him plumb in front.I carried on but couldn't bowl a leg break,when I did get one to turn the other way it went wide of the batsman,since then I don't try because I cannot bowl the leg break.

cool

Priapus 2020-04-26 11:34:56 

Is there still time for Bishoo to try his hand at offspin or has that ship sailed?

Dukes 2020-04-26 14:42:50 

In reply to Priapus

Ship has not only sailed but it is now in the dock.Bishoo is 34 years old.He is 5'6" whereas Lance was 6'2".He has a more round arm action whereas Lance had a high arm action. Lance started bowling off-spin at age 21.