The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: 'Shut them up with success' - Ambrose encourages Cornwall to work to silence critics

CaribbeanCricket.com 2020-05-01 03:47:34 

Legendary West Indies fast bowler Curtly Ambrose has encouraged spinner Rahkeem Cornwall to silence critics by achieving success with his own unique style.

The 27-year-old was recently the target of criticism from legendary spin bowler Lance Gibbs, who doubted whether the spinner could be truly successful with such a short run-up.  Gibbs was, in fact, critical of the current crop of regional spinners in general who he insisted did not turn the ball enough.

While not going into the specifics of Gibbs’ objection to Cornwall’s style, Ambrose insisted it was part and parcel of the sport for professional athletes.  Ambrose went on to encourage the spinner to keep focused and get the job done in his way.  Since bursting on the scene a few year ago, Cornwall has had some measure of success at the regional level but has also faced criticism for his weight.

Read more at Sports Max

Full Story

Raggs 2020-05-01 10:48:31 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Any Antiguan who makes the Windies team I believe in him straight away until if he does he flop the place up.
Cornwall doing him ting nicely so far so Ambrose right. Carry on son.

Larr Pullo 2020-05-01 13:31:23 

In reply to Raggs

If he adds 3 more steps to his run up, in a year of test cricket he'll be as skinny as Lance Gibbs.

dayne 2020-05-01 14:14:32 

I agree with Ambrose on this issue, so far Cornwall has been successful with his very short run up. However, Cornwall could be encourage to employ a dietician to help him lose some more weight.
In relation to Gibbs critique about spinners not turning the ball enough, none of the top International spinners turn the ball a lot, they rely on variations and smarts.

camos 2020-05-01 14:52:34 

There will always be critics, but wickets will suppress a lot...lets go big youth!

velo 2020-05-01 15:02:17 

In reply to dayne

who are these top spinners? lyon and ashwin are only two top spinners in the world with over 300 wickets in tests and they both turn the ball i don't know about the run up thing it really should not make a difference.
i've never quite understood how cornwall is so big has the fitness standards dropped so much .in barbados these guys have to jog and do pushups and weight train along with their cricket drills from a early age

openning 2020-05-01 15:37:39 

Ambrose being a coach, and someone that was successful, should look at ways in improving his coaching skills.
Lance is speaking of increasing the bowling skills of West Indies spinners, he was referring to bowling from a couple steps, which he believe is the reason for not generating spin.
Lets hope Cornwall and others, learn for what Lance is saying

Trex 2020-05-02 02:55:01 

In reply to Larr Pullo

If he adds 3 more steps to his run up, in a year of test cricket he'll be as skinny as Lance Gibbs.

Just give me a few MMA and Sambo training sessions with Cornwall. We will have him fit and focused in no time!

camos 2020-05-02 12:48:32 

In reply to Trex

nice to see you back bro!

Trex 2020-05-02 15:27:15 

In reply to camos

Bless up Bredren. Happy to be back.

Had to take on some major projects and needed some time from the MB. Happy to see my account is still active.