The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Corporate bailouts

black 2020-05-10 14:07:00 

It's never pleasant to see tax payers money go to the big boys but it's necessary in hard times. Now, if big corporations take the money and don't need it, that is completely different.

What do you think?

XDFIX 2020-05-10 14:14:16 

The Illuminati has a stranglehold on all things political and the affairs of the economy. What we know is what they tell us, ask my good friend Noam Chomsky!

black 2020-05-10 14:23:59 

In reply to XDFIX

The Illuminati has a stranglehold on all things political and the affairs of the economy. What we know is what they tell us, ask my good friend Noam Chomsky!

You are probably right on that but I'm looking at this from a jobs point of view. Some people think that a failed big business can be replaced by another and that is probably true but the pain will still be felt.

nitro 2020-05-10 15:18:10 

In reply to black

Corporations take the risk and provide employment enabling folks to pay taxes.

It is only fair to help the builders of the economy when the economy is struggling.

Norm 2020-05-10 16:14:58 

In reply to black

What???

black 2020-05-10 16:24:14 

In reply to Norm

Say what you mean, I'm not a mind reader.

Norm 2020-05-10 22:41:29 

In reply to black

Say what you mean, I'm not a mind reader.

Hahaha! I cannot argue with that.

It's never pleasant to see tax payers money go to the big boys but it's necessary in hard times.

No, it is not. Capitalism is supposed to be a self-adjusting survival-of-the-fittest system that ABHORS government interference. Nevertheless, in the present extraordinary circumstances, I can see businesses that were ordered to close being compensated for revenue lost.

The method of disbursement of funds to businesses, however, appears to be based on an arbitrary application review process, however, which should be a cause for concern for all of us. As it is, claims that the government gave away the money to its friends and supporters are not hard to believe.