The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Murray scoffs at Sir Andy’s poor CPL wicket claims

sgtdjones 2020-09-15 13:53:48 

Murray scoffs at Sir Andy’s poor CPL wicket claims

General Secretary of Queen’s Park Cricket Club (QPCC) Colin Murray has hit back at claims made by former West Indies fast bowling legend Andy Roberts that the bowlers on show in the Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) were made to look 10 times better than they are because of the state of the pitches.

Roberts speaking on the Jojo Radio programme in Antigua said: “I know we blame COVID for everything but this is not one of the things we should try to blame on COVID, we are making bowlers look 10 times as good as they are and especially in the spin department.

Link Text

Thanks moderator for shortening it to two paragraphs , instead of the three I posted.

Jumpstart 2020-09-15 14:16:38 

In reply to sgtdjones

andy is OECS.....25 years thinking antigua and barbuda are entitled to something.

sgtdjones 2020-09-15 15:09:20 

In reply to Jumpstart

Andy always have some outdated comments.

rolleyes

Jumpstart 2020-09-15 15:16:59 

In reply to sgtdjones
andy only cares about antigua. remember when the CWC 2007 campaign was going off the rails, he, as a selector,chairman of selectors i think, came out attacking lara. When the board changed the coach from the very competent Rohan Kanhai to him right before the 1995 frank worrell trophy(which we lost), nobody was happy. Jimmy Adams has said that played a major role in them losing the series and Ambrose has said as much in his book( i have a copy). De man is just a ball of bad vibes. Kanhai was cool. Andy is big and brooding. Magnificent cricketer.....one of the greatest.....but the dude is bad vibes central

dayne 2020-09-15 15:27:48 

In reply to sgtdjones

It is an interesting contradiction, Murray complained about the quality of the International players in the tournament, about how poor their performances were, but all the spinners, except Narine, who did well were the International spinners and the pacer who was the top wicket taker was foreign also. However Robert was right about the pitches, but because of the rain much preparation could not have been done.

sgtdjones 2020-09-15 15:31:34 

In reply to dayne

Andy should note , play the ball not the pitch. It lead to TKR success.

Jumpstart 2020-09-15 15:37:27 

In reply to dayne

You really think he meant every single foreigner? Nabi, lamichane and Rashid khan are global stars, the nz player for zouks was unknown really, and phillips was also known. In general he meant, they didn't perform. Look at ross taylor, chris green etc. And the quality of players are questionable too. We have not been able to attract the likes of david warner, smith played for a five minutes with tridents, no ab de villears(played with tridents also), . That is because the only franchise that can seriously attract box office names is tkr. Based on our local players alone who are t20 stars

alfa1975 2020-09-16 01:40:23 

In reply to dayne Probably Andy overheard this wag in the banking hall of CIBC at Abercromby St and Independence Square in March 1976. 'Trinidad is the only idiot in West Indies cricket, we preparing a spinners wicket but we aint got no spinners'.

sgtdjones 2020-09-16 13:56:12 

In reply to alfa1975

Isn't it strange that T&T spinners won the games for T&T , and you claim we have none?

rolleyes

alfa1975 2020-09-16 23:18:12 

In reply to sgtdjones What the man said in 1976 was prophetic, in that it was said right before a test match between India and WI at QPO. Yes, the same one, where India scored 404 runs to win the match. Noteworthy was the fact that the Indian spinners accounted for all 16 WI wickets to fall. Comparatively the 3 WI spinners got 5 of the 14 Indian wickets to fall.This was about the quality of the WI spinners.
As far as I know Roberts was not in the banking hall, I was.
That fact had nothing to do with TKR and its spinners. In reflection, nothing has changed.

sgtdjones 2020-09-17 01:17:10 

In reply to alfa1975

So you are saying West Indians cricket players since 1976 cannot play spin.

Well golly , it just showed up again in the CPL.

Harper said it best our players have brain fades.