The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: 'Farewell match for Gayle could set bad precedent' - Fazeer Mohammed

CaribbeanCricket.com 2021-11-25 12:09:35 

Cricket commentator and analyst, Fazeer Mohammed, believes using an official international fixture to bid farewell to legendary T20 batsman Chris Gayle could set a bad precedent.

The 42-year-old batsman was widely expected to call time on his career following an unsuccessful ICC T20 World Cup campaign.  Following the team’s elimination from the tournament, however, the big-hitting left-hander suggested that he may be given one more game, at Sabina Park, in his home country of Jamaica, to bid a final farewell to international cricket.

“Gayle also wanted to play a last Test in Jamaica thankfully that was not granted because I think that is going down a road where players of a certain stature are making demands, which I don’t think should be entertained as far as the international structure of cricket,” he added.

Read more at SportsMax

Full Story

Onionman0 2021-11-25 12:53:38 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Agree...Gayle should be special invitee in the match to be held in Jamaica... between innings, Gayle can be felicitated...

tops 2021-11-25 13:14:44 

Watch out Faz, U R next on the list for a Chris rant. big grin big grin

Bread 2021-11-25 14:38:10 

As far as I am concerned, Gayle had several farewells. CWI nor the fans of cricket should not allow Gayle’s oversized ego interfere with cricket. That would definitely set a bad precedent.

dayne 2021-11-25 14:39:18 

Agree with Fazeer, a T20 but not a Test match.

brians_da_best 2021-11-25 15:18:11 

Gayle going after Faz now big grin

VoopsandOut 2021-11-25 15:20:46 

A charity T20 to raise funds for Covid victims or similar. Invitation only players including Gayle

InHindsight 2021-11-25 15:23:49 

Fazz I salute you for having the goanades to stand up when most regional journalists, past players and the board haven't stood.

bird 2021-11-25 18:38:57 

In reply to Bread
woh was a more faithful servant of WI cricket, Gale or Chanderpaul can you imagine if Chanderpaul had ask for any such facilitation what would have happen, in fact! Chanders one day carrier was cut or killed when he still had much more to offer this is bordering on the ridiculous

Sylobaby 2021-11-25 20:07:50 

Going back to Clive Lloyd down to Brian Lara, I feel all of our great servants were forced out rather than see them retire with dignity and a good send off. In fact Desmond Haynes after all his great years of serving West Indies his retirement was finalized at the court instead of on the field where he proudly served us. As a result we never had anyone that was ready and motivated our former greats. I don’t know if we should give Chris a farewell match but being a fan of basketball I remembered when the late Koby Bryant was honored with a farewell game and in my opinion it more for LA Lakers and their future than it did to Koby. Yes Cris had his bad moments but he sure served us well in all three versions of the game. With the state of our game now I really believe giving Chris Gayle a good send off would go far in motivating our current players which would probably do us more good than bad. It’s alright to curse me and call me all sorts of nasty names as usual but I like to be different and have a different option

shivnotout 2021-11-25 20:18:00 

In reply to bird

can you imagine if Chanderpaul had ask for any such facilitation what would have happen,

Thunder wink

Halliwell 2021-11-25 20:23:02 

Either we vex with history and give Gayle his due and change here and now…

Or continue the great tradition or great diss or great comeuppance and we whinge no more big grin

powen001 2021-11-26 01:19:50 

When Fazeer retires....

He should expect what he wishes to dish out.

dat is all

Brerzerk 2021-11-26 02:48:25 

In reply to Sylobaby
Clive Lloyd forced out? Man stop talk what my Grandad would call f..t.
Big Cat arranged to leave the scene at 40 when he was still twice as good as
Gayle is now. So well planned was his exit that he was feted and given a plaque at 'Bina in his last test in the WI some 10 tests and 7 months before his last test I think. If memory serves me right all knew a yr. in advance. Regarding the rest of your post a farewell in an international may guarantee WI their best gate receipts in a long time. And yes history should inform us on how to do better. Wish both Gayle (by doing what Lloyd did) and WI would've learned from history earlier.

Raisedseam 2021-11-26 03:30:19 

Gayle walk through more retirement honor guards (bats upraised) in recent times than a banana republic dictator. Openning long ago suggested what Fazeer recommends. Organize a testimonial game at Sabina not an official WI match where UBDB cant make the team on merit.
UBDB over the top prima donna rants throwing toys out of the pram is not to be condoned. Skerrit and his circus jesters brought back the mercenaries who turned their backs of WI cricket, they failed spectacularly. You never know UBDB may get his self serving wish from this inept administration.

solidrock 2021-11-26 11:52:01 

Agree

doosra 2021-11-26 12:50:37 

anybody hear the tape yet? big grin

sudden 2021-11-26 13:14:28 

In reply to doosra

what tape? big grin

Star 2021-11-26 13:30:30 

In reply to bird
I hope you are aware that by asking the question re Chanderpaul you are reinforcing by one hundred percent the reason as to why CWI should do the right thing and grant Gayle this request even if at first he was just bantering.

The mistreatment of past greats and the malafied manner in which past administrations dealt with them must not be forgotten.

doosra 2021-11-26 13:38:18 

In reply to Star

grant Gayle this request even if at first he was just bantering.

A couple of questions for you

1. did Gayle indicate he was leaving and therefore allow for this sending off to take place - whether world cup or not?

2. has he indicated he will retire after this ?

3. did the wi tell him this is your last tour - we are moving on, we will do a farewell for you?

don't feel obligated to respond but you do make it sound as if ug is trolling the wicb
big grin

sudden 2021-11-26 13:38:19 

In reply to Star

jimmy, that is true to some extent.

but what happens afterward if he decides he wants to play in the next T20 WC and wants another official sendoff after that?

Drapsey 2021-11-26 13:39:40 

In reply to Star

You're so defensive (of the WICB disposition).

If you ever played cricket you must've been a very defensive if not obturate batsman. cool

Star 2021-11-26 15:40:06 

In reply to sudden

but what happens afterward if he decides he wants to play in the next T20 WC and wants another official sendoff after that?

I regard you and will therefore put this question from you down as a lack of ratiocination.

Let's think rationally here. Do you for one minute believe that after granting Christopher Gayle this final sendoff CWI management would entertain the thought of another one for him?

Think rationally my friend.

sudden 2021-11-26 16:10:21 

In reply to Star

i would hate to think they would but never say never.

i have no expectations with this CWI

i thought that picking him for the WC in his dreadful form was a way of saying this one is for you but obviously it was not.

i also think that Gayle was joking when he said he would like to retire at Sabina and was shocked that CWI took him seriously.

i have little issue in giving players (lesser of greater) a decent retirement send off but this is getting much and he should not be picked in his form just for that.

why not invite him to the match, have him in the commentary booth talking a bit about himself and his career, at lunch time giving have an official send off with a few of his old playing buddies giving lil speeches, and as the match resumes he walks thru the two teams giving handshakes and what not.

if not at lunch time, it could be achieved when the match concludes

but we shall see

Narper 2021-11-26 17:43:42 

In reply to Drapsey

If you ever played cricket you must've been a very defensive if not obturate batsman.

or got hit on de head

cupid20d 2021-11-27 04:12:49 

Chanderpaul did more for W.I and he never got shit