The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Guyanese law student wins Rhodes Scholarship

WI_cricfan 2021-11-25 14:47:02 

Rawletta Barrow of Guyana is the 2022 Commonwealth Caribbean Rhodes Scholar. Governor General Dame Sandra Mason made the announcement on Tuesday evening at Government House, following a full day of interviews, according to the Barbados Government Information Service (BGIS).

The BGIS said that Barrow was chosen from among 12 candidates, who were interviewed virtually by the selection committee. The other interviewees vying for the scholarship came from Barbados, The Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada, St. Vincent and St. Kitts.

According to the BGIS, Dame Sandra described the interview process as an “exciting, yet compelling exercise”, which showed that “the Caribbean is crammed with able, erudite, articulate, engaging, brilliant and passionate young people”, who are committed to regional development.

so much for the Tits being the bestest

sgtdjones 2021-11-25 19:34:12 

In reply to WI_cricfan

Trini defense society (TDS) will now attack you ....

cool

camos 2021-11-27 23:33:18 

In reply to WI_cricfan

so much for the Tits being the bestest

It is not a straight up test of the best.

Slipfeeler 2021-11-29 13:57:00 

Fitzroy “Pablo” Wickham ’21 has been named the Jamaica 2021 Rhodes Scholar.

The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest, and one of the most prestigious, international scholarship programs in the world. Each year, it provides about 100 fully-funded scholarships to students around the world for post-graduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. According to the website, the “Rhodes Selection Committees are looking for young people of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service

Slipfeeler 2021-11-29 13:59:57 

Twenty-three-year-old Tonia Williams, Jamaica’s 2022 Rhodes Scholar, said it was a moment of shock and emotional highs when she learnt that she was being awarded this year’s scholarship on Thursday afternoon.

“I’ve had a couple of hours to process and I’m still in a bit of shock,” she told The Gleaner yesterday, adding that her fellow candidates competing for the prize saw how speechless she became.

“I could barely contain my joy; I started crying,” she said.

When she caught her breath, she called her parents and grandmother to convey the good news. They commended her dedication, work ethic, and the discipline she continues to portray.

“They were almost more excited than I was. My grandmother even cried,” said Williams.

FuzzyWuzzy 2021-11-29 18:14:50 

I wonder what Chrissy has to say about this