The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Ewart et al

Chrissy 2022-01-24 00:31:09 

Good read

e produced statistically the best win of his young career by toppling Alexander Zverev, the third seed, 6-3, 7-6 (5), 6-3. It was a notable performance not because of any delirious shotmaking, but rather the calm, disciplined manner in which he dismantled a top player.

Madison Keys rediscovers her joy to burst into Australian Open contention | Tumaini Carayol
Afterwards Shapovalov, 22, stressed his satisfaction about the patience and intelligence with which he played. His discipline was reflected in the statistics. Shapovalov won only one more point than Zverev in nought-to-four-shot rallies, 66 to 65. However he outscored Zverev by a combined 15 points in rallies played between five and eight shots, and nine-plus shots.

“It’s definitely something I’ve been learning to do,” he said of his patience. “Hasn’t come natural to me, unfortunately. I’ve always wanted to play quick and go for my shots. But it’s difficult when you play a guy with the calibre of Sascha [Zverev]. You can’t go through him in one or two shots. You have to stay in the rallies, you have to work for the points. Then when you have an opportunity you can swing in and go for it.”

Ewart 2022-01-24 00:58:02 

In reply to Chrissy

Very good reporting. Thanks.

//

Kay 2022-01-24 03:56:44 

In reply to Chrissy

I think Mirjam in the front row was the inspiration.... smile