The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

DON'T WASH CHICKEN BEFORE COOKING

Emir 2022-08-20 02:48:41 

Us West Indians will never agree with this; recently found out my caretaker hasn't been washing my chicken before cooking and I had a chat with her and she told me about the FDA guidelines and I looked this up.

According to the USDA, you should not wash raw poultry or any other meat, because you may spread potential bacteria in the poultry juices to other foods, utensils, and surfaces.

Link Text

sgtdjones 2022-08-20 03:06:56 

I wondered what was wrong with you ...thanks for the explanation....
so you eating the intestinal tracks of animals

Salmonella, poisoning..(Salmonella are usually transmitted to humans by eating foods contaminated with animal feces.)

I see why your posts are full of it...

rolleyes

culpepperboy 2022-08-20 10:25:22 

In reply to Emir

Tell her don't "wash" it, "lime and salt" it. Then wash off the lime and salt.
cool

Emir 2022-08-20 12:04:34 

In reply to culpepperboy

I gave her tips on how to avoid cross contamination of counter tops and other items. I want my meat- especially chicken, properly well washed. Look, the USDA is Euro-Centric in this recommendation- b/c mainly Euro peoples do not wash meat- all other peoples do, they are quick to make this recommendation, albeit, to prevent serious illness caused by salmonella.

Some of their other recommendations, like giving the OK for dog licks, is mainly based on the way Euro peoples interact with their dog. .

Curtis 2022-08-20 12:07:34 

Also, it's acceptable to choke the chicken at dinnertime in some cultures

Halliwell 2022-08-20 13:45:30 

If the production, slaughter and processing are monitored to Eau standards, you seldom need to use the “useless” last resort of washing chicken. The cross contamination that aerosolises microbes all over your kitchen isn’t worth the psychology satisfaction of thinking you have ‘clean meat’.

Many bacteria and parasites have attachment characteristics as part of their armoury
Washing chicken is wasting time.

Now, the lime and salt business…THAT is effective.

Having said that, if I went back home I am washing, scrubbing chicken because of how they are processed at Arawak and Mr Mo’s establishments.

granite 2022-08-20 14:02:34 

In reply to culpepperboy
That is exactly what I do been doing it for years.

KTom 2022-08-20 14:24:04 

For the same reason I never wash my hands before cooking.

nick2020 2022-08-20 14:29:17 

In reply to Halliwell

Now, the lime and salt business…THAT is effective.

Wid all de pressure we got I wud tell u cut out de salt.

In all seriousness life is a double edge sword. The most nutritious way to eat food is raw but raw food can have bacteria so cooking food kills bacteria but ...

KTom 2022-08-20 15:05:35 

In reply to nick2020

Cooking can degrade some nutritional content, of vitamins and minerals, but it aids digestibility (let alone flavour) so also increases it.

Curtis 2022-08-20 15:15:05 

Vinegar or lime and salt, white vinegar, add to chicken in water let it sit for a few minutes, then wash off maybe twice

pooranian 2022-08-20 18:46:05 

Many in India get chicken freshly cut..so there is blood in the pieces we get...it is normal to wash it. Frozen or chilled chicken may be a different story as its pre washed.

Brerzerk 2022-08-20 18:52:41 

In reply to Curtis
I'm afraid that's not good advice. What will be the concentration of salt and lime to water, how long will it sit in that water? What you're actually doing is an act in futility. a. Not all bacteria will be destroyed b. Within minutes those not destroyed will start growing exponentially and may end up being more than you started out with. In a previous post I recommended chicken be wiped with a vinegar-soaked paper towel. The only sure way of destroying Salmonella is to cook the poultry to an internal temp of 165F and above. Washing removes visible dirt grime etc. very little bacteria is removed by only washing...of course a soap medium will help as the suds will attach to bacteria. You gonna wash your chicken with soap? Bro your assistant is making sense. Why risk 'splatter contamination' unnecessarily? Hand-washing, containment and temperature are the best ways to avoid infection

Brerzerk 2022-08-20 20:36:47 

In reply to nick2020
Inaccurate. Only some foods and not most! Based on a wide array of diets the body does not possess the enzymes needed to adequately breakdown, release, absorb and utilize the nutrients available. Neither do we have the physical capabilities to do so. Mastication,
Rumination and stomach ph allow other animals to digest raw stuff we cannot

Curtis 2022-08-20 21:01:02 

Luckily never had salmonella issues, we been washing chicken with vinegar long time. Then we cook it thorough. Makes sense to clean counter tops and sink with some bacteria killing solution right after preparing raw chicken.

Brerzerk 2022-08-20 21:46:18 

In reply to Curtis
yep, cutting board and knife especially. Nuff peeps just rinse those off after cutting chicken then
cut ready-to-eat stuff like bread and veggies with same. Greatest source of cross-contamination right deh.

Emir 2022-08-21 11:59:47 

In reply to Brerzerk

Well said

black 2022-08-21 13:14:15 

If someone chooses to wash his/her meat, it's their prerogative. Keep seperate cutting boards for cutting meats and vegetables to avoid cross contamination.

KTom 2022-08-21 13:37:15 

The hydrochloric acid in your stomach likely does a better job of killing bacteria than a diluted solution of vinegar.

jahmekyah 2022-08-21 13:46:36 

Very interesting -food for thought- no pun intended.
Have nothing to add ... learned a few things

One of the better post

black 2022-08-21 13:57:06 

In reply to Brerzerk

Inaccurate. Only some foods and not most! Based on a wide array of diets the body does not possess the enzymes needed to adequately breakdown, release, absorb and utilize the nutrients available. Neither do we have the physical capabilities to do so. Mastication,
Rumination and stomach ph allow other animals to digest raw stuff we cannot

I don't think there's anything inaccurate about what nick said. The animal bit, we already knew that but he is talking about humans.

Brerzerk 2022-08-21 16:12:56 

In reply to black
Based on the diets of most humans raw food will not and cannot provide all the nutrients we need nor in the quantities we need it.We DO NOT have the wherewithal to breakdown, digest and absorb the nutrients in many, many raw items.

black 2022-08-21 16:49:50 

In reply to Brerzerk

It is true that our digestive systems are not as efficient but it is also true that we cook nutrients right out of foods by overcooking them.

Brerzerk 2022-08-21 17:36:25 

In reply to black
Agree, will even go further. If I have ppl. coming over who will feel better if I wash it I will.
For myself I wipe with cane vinegar and ensure it is properly cooked. also true about 'killing' the food with heat cooking.
Raw diets actually 'cook' Take Salsa the acid in tomatoes actually cook the onions.

Dukes 2022-08-22 13:23:14 

Never realized there are so many microbiologists and nutrition experts on this board!!!!!!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

openning 2022-08-22 15:21:10 

In reply to Emir
Dude, I have been around food preparation for the last 50 years, and cross contamination without washing meat, poultry and fish separately.
Your Caretaker is nasty and lazy.
It take only a few minutes to wash all meats, carving board sand knives after use.

culpepperboy 2022-08-22 16:09:02 

In reply to Dukes

And none of dem ain't mek no conkies for me. cool

Curtis 2022-08-22 16:12:33 

In reply to Dukes

Never realized also there were so many cricket hexperts in Rum Shop

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

doosra 2022-08-22 16:14:37 

stop eat chicken man big grin

openning 2022-08-22 16:23:03 

In reply to culpepperboy
Had four last month, a little dry, but enjoyable..

Halliwell 2022-08-22 17:44:07 

In reply to Curtis

big grin

Halliwell 2022-08-22 17:45:08 

In reply to openning

I posit that washing all meats after use is overkill lol

Brerzerk 2022-08-22 22:56:57 

In reply to openning
your idiosyncrasy is getting the better of you. You are actually describing how easy it is to contaminate.
The potential nastiness is the few minutes washing rather than a thorough wash, rinse and sanitization of the knife and board.. Moreover,
until we actually see it we have no idea how much and how far and wid. splatter from sneezing, washing and wiping surfaces
can travel. Wash if it is your preference but considering the caretaker gave a reasoned and measured argument for not washing the chicken does not say she is nasty and lazy.

Dukes 2022-08-23 00:15:00 

In reply to Curtis

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

KTom 2022-08-23 09:04:37 

Urine is known for its antibacterial properties (due to the urea), so another reason not to wash one's hands.

Halliwell 2022-08-23 16:21:30 

In reply to KTom

Yet still there are bacteria and parasites in urine by the time it exits your urethra

KTom 2022-08-23 16:39:47 

In reply to Halliwell

If you survived them the first time, you'll likely survive them again.

Point I'm making is to stop overly worrying about food poisoning. It's very rare.

culpepperboy 2022-08-23 21:59:08 

In reply to KTom

Every year, an estimated 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die from foodborne diseases.

Link Text

KTom 2022-08-24 20:35:01 

In reply to culpepperboy

Let's assume those numbers, for the sake of argument. There are about 330 million Americans. Let's conservatively estimate they eat on average three meals a day. So let's call it a billion meals a day x 365 so we have 365 billion opportunities for food poisoning per year.

365 billion divided by 128,000 means that someone is hospitalised once every 2.85 million meals. So your average person, eating three meals a day, could expect to be hospitalised once every 2600 years.

I'll stick with my original opinion.

tops 2022-08-24 21:25:44 

In reply to openning
Chicken and ram big grin

embsallie 2022-08-24 22:11:06 

DON'T WASH CHICKEN BEFORE COOKING

That is some BS.
I wash my chicken with lemon or vinegar solution depending on which I have at the time, rinse and pat dry before seasoning. I do that to all raw meat.
I take care to thoroughly disinfect knives, containers, cutting board and sink then rinse with hot running water before allowing to Air Dry.

Brerzerk 2022-08-24 23:05:14 

In reply to KTom stop abuseing #'s and call it statistics.
It is very clear that the objective of this discussion is food safety.NOT DEATH or HOSPITALIZATION from food-borne disease. Who wants a "belly-wuk" or having to take home remedies or change their diet for a lil while because of a troublesome stomach? Are you telling Emir @ his age is as age don't worry your immune system is as str9ng as the 280M +Merkins who are healthiest so ease off precautions?? Care to say of those billions of meals what % contain poultry? See nows how flawed spitting out those # as stats look now?

Brerzerk 2022-08-24 23:14:55 

In reply to embsallie
You could well be creating a petri dish of harmful micro-organisms. Sanitizing should be your last step, not rinsing away what you used to disinfect. The tap you turned on could have more bacteria than the meat (including fecal coliform) so too the paper you patted it with. So if you lab-test a samples of the meat pre-wash then after patting dry don't be surprised if the latter is more contaminated

KTom 2022-08-25 14:04:21 

In reply to Brerzerk

I'm widening the discussion - if that's OK with you - and since most people don't subsist purely on a diet of chicken, I'm justified in that.

If meat is properly cooked, cleaning the skin seems to be a wholly unnecessary precaution - unless perhaps you just slaughtered the thing.

An obsession with cleaning worktops and utensils is also effectively pointless. Bacteria are everywhere - indeed, as we now know our guts are full of trillions of them. They're essential to our digestive systems.

KTom 2022-08-25 14:22:57 

Fruits and Vegetables Are Trying to Kill You

One of the more interesting articles I've seen recently. If I understand it properly, it seems quite revolutionary. Raw vegetables may be better for us not because they contain more vitamins, but because they're more poisonous.

pelon 2022-08-25 14:50:05 

In reply to KTom

"Bacteria are everywhere... They're essential to our digestive systems."

what you didn't say is the trouble: While most bacteria is not harmful, many bacteria cause significant health issues and can kill as well.

E. coli. for example, while some strains are harmless and present in your gut, other strains are very disruptive!

Summary: NOT WASHING meat or (common sense) utensil cleaning is a great way to introduce harmful bacteria to your gut.

Brerzerk 2022-08-25 20:34:59 

Both of you have not just widened the discussion but made it so much more informative and interesting

XDFIX 2022-08-25 21:43:49 

In reply to Dukes

CC.com posters, for the most part, know a lot about little and a little about a lot!

big grin big grin big grin

Halliwell 2022-08-25 22:16:41 

It reach where we going around in the smallest circle possible