The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Patties! Patties! How they have evolved.

SirGarny 2022-09-02 17:50:40 

I still say the original Tastee patty from the 1970's is the best. Some of these new flavors are interesting ..calaloo, jerk chicken, curry chicken.

FanAttick 2022-09-02 18:06:02 

In reply to SirGarny

Reggae

Chrissy 2022-09-02 20:53:00 

In reply to SirGarny

I heard that Brucie's (which was before Tastee) was the best.
Devon House used to be excellent but it was deteriorated big time

Ayenmol 2022-09-02 21:39:55 

In reply to SirGarny

This is funny. My wife just discovered a new jamaican restaurant. I almost wrote about this subject this past sarurday. I had the curry goat she had oxtail.
Curry goat was good but the portion so teeny man it leaves a bit to be desired.

But on the subject of patties, i tried the jerk chicken, and they had a meatloaf....neither one could stand up to the good old beef.
To me a pattie and the taste that you expect only can be gotten from beef!

SirGarny 2022-09-02 22:19:01 

In reply to Ayenmol

Agree 100%...but could be because our taste buds have not evolved from the original. The other flavors are ok...but give me the beef any day. Sad to say, the quality of some of the bigger names have deteriorated. A company called Hammonds in Brooklyn was amazing back in the 80's. Just recently I bought some from a Hammonds franchise in Ft. Lauderdale and was horrified! They were thin and the meat had an unrecognizable taste.

I'll never go there again!

evil cry

Headley 2022-09-02 23:57:48 

In reply to SirGarny

I was told Hammond had retired or died. Can't remember but he was old and the business was being run by his daughter.

As far as I know the daughter was born and grew up in Florida. You are getting a Florida patty. big grin lol big grin

tc1 2022-09-03 00:36:57 

In reply to Headley

wasn't Hammond on Church and Utica in East Flatbush.

saw your buddy MOB was week.

tc1 2022-09-03 00:48:06 

In reply to SirGarny

I find that is typical of our Caribbean eatery, you go there on Monday the food is very good, you go back on Tuesday, and you wonder if it the same place, the food taste horrible.

Drapsey 2022-09-03 01:37:58 

In reply to SirGarny

The 10-pack "Jamaican Style" frozen Beef Patties sold at Sam's Club and BJ's are as good as any.

I first discovered them at a Sam's Club in a suburb of Pittsburgh (of all places).

sgtdjones 2022-09-03 01:55:57 

In reply to Drapsey

Problemguy , will be here soon announcing Yardies stole the recipe from T&T.

razz

tc1 2022-09-03 02:01:24 

In reply to sgtdjones

And the Tits stole them from Bim.

smile

sgtdjones 2022-09-03 02:16:04 

In reply to tc1

razz razz razz razz

Brerzerk 2022-09-03 03:48:31 

In reply to SirGarny
No sah nutt'n to do with taste buds. I've enjoyed many a different types of patties including the very good
Devon House's Lobster Patty. But, there's just something about a beef patty. The man is right nothing comes up to it.
Beef fat uniqely flavors. You know they bun dung some McDonalds in India some time ago? They found out the fries flavor was being enhanced by beef fat.

shock

SirGarny 2022-09-03 14:49:10 

In reply to Brerzerk

Is there a Tastee franchise here in the U.S.? ...on another note, I've fallen in love with the Mother's and Juicy Beef in Jamaica! Can;t miss!

lol

Ewart 2022-09-03 15:45:51 

In reply to Chrissy

Yes. Back in the day Bruce's at Cross Roads ruled the roost.

There was at the same time a much smaller patty outlet on Charles Street that made the best patties. Spence's Patties, I think it was. Enjoyed then during rehearsals for Pantomime at the Ward Theatre '57='58.

//

Drapsey 2022-09-03 16:15:16 

In reply to sgtdjones

Problemguy , will be here soon announcing Yardies stole the recipe from T&T.

problemguy better be careful. With Kiss Cakes' popularity in the Yard, Jamaica might just be attributed its origin.

Ewart 2022-09-03 16:37:48 

And before all of them, there was Garden Grocery, a store on King Street above Tower Street, which sold patties.

These were flavoured with curry.

//

FanAttick 2022-09-03 17:32:04 

In reply to Ewart

Yes. Back in the day Bruce's at Cross Roads ruled the roost.

Yeah..I remember Bruce’s well…

Best Patties for me ranked(Top 5):

1. Crusty Patties (Mandeville)
2. Hammonds Patties (Sav-la-Mar)
3. Juici Patties (May Pen)
4. Tastees Patties (Kingston)
5. Bruce’s Patties (Kingston)

What separated Crusty Patties from the rest is that their crust was the best and you tasted real beef in the filling….

CWWeekes 2022-09-03 18:22:23 

Back in the early 70's a bowl of Bruce's gungoo soup with a patty or two was a good lunch.

Brerzerk 2022-09-03 18:31:06 

In reply to Ewart
it was different from Tastee, not as flaky but tastier. I think it was a little smaller but a slightly thicker crust.
I'm trying to remember if they had a branch somewhere around Windward Road near to the Theatre.

JohnBull 2022-09-03 18:37:46 

Taste Rite in south FL makes a serious patty and meat/ackee/callalo loaf ...I mean serious!

Pattie crust flaky n full of meat and the loaf sawf like a marshmallow.

Ewart 2022-09-03 21:16:28 

In reply to Brerzerk

I think it was Trafalgar Road, near the Eastern end.

But do you remember Rainbow patties ? The Rainbow Club at Half Way Tree made the largest patties in Jca. And you washed them down with their super Slim Jim.

//

archangel 2022-09-03 23:51:54 

In reply to Chrissy

No doubt about, Bruce’s was the best.

I can never forget getting them on a Sunday night drive out.

How they manage to get them so hot is still a mystery to me.

JayMor 2022-09-04 00:49:46 

In reply to SirGarny, Ewart and Chrissy
Bruce's without a doubt. Used to regularly drive there for lunch from HWT. My 2nd fave was Angel Flake at Silver Slipper plaza.

In reply to Archangel

How they manage to get them so hot is still a mystery to me.
Bro, I can back you up on that! You best not be blue hungry and could break them open and let them breeze for a while. Otherwise, sore lips, gum and tongue! lol

--Æ.

archangel 2022-09-04 21:05:39 

In reply to JayMor

You know it.

alfa1975 2022-09-06 16:20:50 

In reply to Ewart Yes Bruces Patties ruled the roost,Yes they opened a branch on Trafalgar Rd in the 1970s when New Kingston was opening up.
Everyone seems to remember the patties, does anyone remember that Bruces had a Billiard Room (Carom). For me there seemed to be a co-relationship of patties and billiard rooms.In a number instances patty establishments were pratically next door to billiard rooms. Bruces, Port Maria (Jade), Port Antonio, Oracabessa etc.