The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Religion,Churches should have disappeared, after Darwin's theory

sgtdjones 2022-09-04 16:45:23 

Religion, Churches should have disappeared, after Darwin's theory.

What did anyone expect from a church founded on the principle that the King of England can divorce his wife, marry his mistress, cut her head off, murder nuns and priests, steal their land, and then give it to his minions?

In Africa, the Anglican Church is a vestige of British colonialism, as are these views on homosexuality.The bit that is hilarious is that it is Africa that wants a traditional interpretation of the Bible. Are they willing to return to bondage since traditional interpretations of the Bible were used to enslave them? Christianity and the other Abrahamic faiths should have disappeared from the earth when Darwin published his theory.

Religion is a conflation of ethics and mythology. Why would you look for validation from an organization whose existence is premised on stories rather than facts, and whose ethics are distorted by them? As a method of justifying the perversion of ethics because of its myths, religion is a gateway to evil; history is littered with examples. Find an organization that focuses on ethics alone to give you a sense of belonging, that's what you need.

There is no anthropomorphic omniscient God. There is no god of any sort. It is a creation of the human mind, sustained in large part by a need for the solace of meaning. All documents of faith including the Bible, Koran, and Torah are works of people under the delusion of "divine" inspiration.

The problem with organized religion: Those who hold leadership positions in it actually think they know the Will of God, or whatever each religion claims is the foundation of the universe. You'd think that would have been revealed to everyone simultaneously. What's the point of allowing these conflicts over millennia too often to result in the sacrifice of supposedly precious human lives, including those of innocent children, including those not yet born, not to God, but to the religion, particularly between the monotheistic religions and sects within them? And if the point cannot be discerned by human beings because God coyly keeps us guessing, instead of revealing the most important piece of information in the history of mankind clearly and uniformly to everyone, then, isn't it possible that every religion is merely a manifestation of some local cultural beliefs, having nothing to do with the Will of God?If a god commands what is plainly immoral, what does that tell us about that particular god?

Sex and the Christian Church have always been a dystopian, hellish nightmare.The old men of the church can never make up their minds about the place of sex if it has one, and the acceptance of rules and laws of god and nature.

So fearful are the ultra-conservative elders of the church that the very first thing they teach is that sex is an unforgivable sin. It is taboo. Not spoken about and certainly not to be enjoyed or celebrated.For centuries the Church has perpetuated the myth that god felt so conflicted about sex that it was necessary for a virgin to become pregnant immaculately, certainly not through sexual intercourse. That of course would be an abomination. What is even worse is that the god of the church couldn't even tell the innocent, unsuspecting virgin that she was to become impregnated, and even worse beyond that, she had no choice.A woman who becomes pregnant involuntarily by any means has been raped. Now, no one knows for sure whether or not a god is a man or a woman. God is a spirit or something else entirely beyond our grasp. Maybe god reproduces in ways we can't imagine. What we must confront though is our androgyny. We have characteristics of both males and females. We also love others of the same sex as well as our own. How can the church reconcile that and at the same time oppose and vilify every man who loves other men and every woman who also loves a woman? The church sends mixed, bewildering messages about God's laws but can't explain anything.

Anyone chasing the approval of outdated archaic teaching whose main impact on humanity today is a rationale for intolerance, bigotry, sexism, fascism, pedophilia, greed, and literalism needs therapy. I still fail to understand why so many people take all this religious folderol so seriously. It's really like the sorority and fraternity system in colleges, but with cooler costumes and not nearly as much fun.

Just a thought, but if acceptance of diversity in loving relationships is not "scripturally consistent" maybe the scripture isn't correct. So much for the concept of "Christian Love". Never really did exist, one more confirmation that it doesn't.The last place where you will find Jesus is in a church.

So many Christian denominations find "homosexuality inconsistent with Scripture." But take a look at Scripture and what it says--or doesn't say about homosexuality. First, not one is mentioned in the Gospels. If homosexuality is such a grave sin, why did Jesus have nothing to say about it? He talks about adultery, rich people, & religious hypocrites, but nothing about homosexuality. Second, in the entire Christian Bible (Old Testament & New), there are fewer than 10 references total to what is interpreted now as homosexuality.(Recall that the word "homosexuality" didn't exist until the late 1800s.) And when you look at these references, they are problematic. e.g., In Romans 1: 26, 27, Paul says men & women exchanged natural relations with the opposite sex for unnatural relations with the same sex. We have known for almost 50 years that homosexuality occurs in animals. Unless we have underestimated them as sentient beings, they don't make lifestyle choices; they follow instinct; they do what is natural. So you can't call same-sex sex unnatural anymore. It happens in nature.

Homophobia existed when Scripture was written, and it exists now.My view of Scripture needs to evolve as it has with passages about subjugating women (keep silent in church, etc.) & slavery (no protest against it in Scripture). Furthermore, no one is advocating stoning disobedient children. We all pick & choose verses to support a position.I recommend: "Love God ... and Love your neighbor as yourself." Although liberal religions appeal to me and my ethical system, as they appeal to many people in the world today, liberal religions struggle to keep members and remain relevant. As abhorrent as I find most fundamentalist religions, there is no question that they have survived and thrived, compared to their liberal counterparts. Liberalism and religion don't seem to function well and stably together. Although there is debate as to whether the word "religion" shares a root with "ligature--" "to bind back," the real world would seem to show that as its basic nature.

Liberation theology sounded great in Latin America, but has it won converts? No, fundamentalist, evangelical Protestantism has. Although logically, there should be room in the middle, the real choice seems to be between secular humanism and conservative, fundamentalist religion. Is religion still a thing? Try critical thinking, scientific endeavor, and basic human ethics. I have said where I stand. I may change aside, I say "secular humanist," instead of "atheist" or "agnostic," because I am asserting the value I place in humanity and all life, rather than saying I am rejecting something or asserting ignorance. Just because we have limited knowledge of existence doesn't mean we should characterize our approach as being an inability to know.

We should be cautious in matters of opinion when trying to convert another...

sgtdjones 2022-09-04 16:49:25 

Please Bible thumpers stay away...Start your own thread.
Thanks.

cool

XDFIX 2022-09-04 16:57:13 

In reply to sgtdjones

Yuh, on a role, but one man did sey, "dem can't stop the time." There is no hiding place from the Father of Creation!

Link Text

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’?

Halliwell 2022-09-04 17:39:06 

In reply to sgtdjones

You can’t tell us to stay away.
You ent name Arawak

Look, you made a good point. If the whole Darwinism had the reach and scope many people hope it did/should have , it would have washed religion away.

But the resilience since Darwin tells another story
Ent?

sgtdjones 2022-09-04 23:12:58 

In reply to Halliwell

You can’t tell us to stay away.
You ent name Arawak

Lookie hear you, this is what I sad...
Please Bible thumpers stay away...Start your own thread.

Resilience ??? Say what?

The evolutionary theory still is rejected by many Americans, often because it conflicts with their religious beliefs about divine creation

It is evil to brainwash the poor on fables from the black book, written by humans and not any God.
Such humans being insecure and weak are gullible to anything supernatural to believe in. Religions are false and untruthful.
Churches are famous for preying on such unsuspecting humans, then comes the monetary collection.
Rome is famous for being the perfect example. They do not understand the Copernican Revolution,
We do not occupy a special or privileged place in the Universe.
The Universe and everything in it can be understood and predicted using a set of basic physical laws

sgtdjones 2022-09-04 23:19:43 

In reply to XDFIX

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’?

Where did you read such on the black book of fables...such doesn't count.
Did your God write that book? If so when did God do this? I need proof...
How many versions did God write?

Now I understand a Big Bang occurred. Why did this happen and it's not in your black book.?
God sent flood , wiped out people and enslaved them, but nothing about an explosion.?

Was God playing with Dynamite or T&T ?... Why would God have such?
OK, God had some explosives then what happened next?
God was trying to light his Cuban Cigar and got close to the explosives... sounds plausible, I think?

T&T ..God is a Trini

Halliwell 2022-09-05 05:46:48 

In reply to sgtdjones

The Universe and everything in it can be understood and predicted using a set of basic physical laws

Come on, even my late fellow alumnus Hawking and his closest collaborators didn’t believe that…
It’s not hubris to say we don’t YET understand everything, and we have to constantly review, revise and even replace our current theories based on new information.

Internet warriors still fighting about the appendix being a useless organ…in late 2022!!!

doosra 2022-09-05 12:37:13 

Nobody:

scientists and philosophers: we can't know anything for sure

scientists: we know for sure that (a long lists of things they don't 'like') big grin

sgtdjones 2022-09-05 15:42:23 

In reply to Halliwell, doostra

Notice , I didn't say totally believed. Even your friend Hawkins would agree, he was not a bible thumper.He destroys your black book of fables.

“Scientists do not create the world; they learn about it and attempt to imitate it.”
“Before we understand science, it is natural to believe that God created the universe. But now science offers a more convincing explanation." "What I meant by ‘we would know the mind of God’ is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God, which there isn’t."“I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science,” he said. “Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing,“Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. The laws of physics can explain the universe without the need for a creator.I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either.

Reference:
The Grand Design
by Stephen Hawking , Leonard Mlodinow

It’s not hubris to say we don’t YET understand everything, and we have to constantly review, revise and even replace our current theories based on new information

I noted the above in my thread, read between the lines...

Halli ..arent you partying with Liz?

KTom 2022-09-05 15:53:00 

In reply to sgtdjones

Why didn't they disappear after Newton's theory?

tops 2022-09-05 15:58:39 

In reply to sgtdjones
"Please Bible thumpers stay away...Start your own thread."
What R "Bible thumpers"? I've never got the meaning.

sgtdjones 2022-09-05 16:16:38 

In reply to tops

They constantly quote the black book of fables in Threads to explain their position.

I was taught this lesson: "be very wary of a conservative man and his bible."

Halliwell 2022-09-05 16:37:21 

In reply to sgtdjones

Rishi was conservative without a Bible and they were wary of him

tops 2022-09-05 18:06:00 

In reply to sgtdjones
But, it seems to me, the church was long B4 Darwin's theory and it's still there.
"In reply to tops

They constantly quote the black book of fables in Threads to explain their position.
But...but... Can I apply the same to the Darwin followers? Can I call them Darwin thumpers?

sgtdjones 2022-09-05 20:13:51 

In reply to tops

Darwin's theory was accepted by the scientific community.

Is evolution accepted by the scientific community?
Nearly all (around 97%) of the scientific community accepts evolution as the dominant scientific theory of biological diversity,
with 87% accepting that evolution occurs due to natural processes, such as natural selection.The Theory of Evolution is one of the best-substantiated theories in the history of science. It is supported by evidence from a wide variety of scientific disciplines, including genetics, which shows that different species have similarities in their DNA.

Bible and science belong to wholly separate domains of reality.
The Bible pertains to the sphere of morality and spirituality; science, by contrast, has dominion in the realm of physical things.
The word of God came to John before any scriptures were written and before the bible was compiled. Therefore, neither the scriptures nor the bible can be the word of God.

The study - by Professor Thomas Thompson, one of the world's foremost authorities on biblical archaeology - says that the first 10 books of the Old Testament are almost certainly fiction, written between 500 and 1,500 years after the events they purport to describe.
Even after nearly 2,000 years of its existence, and centuries of investigation by biblical scholars, we still don't know with certainty who wrote its various texts, when they were written or under what circumstances

doosra 2022-09-05 20:19:42 

In reply to sgtdjones

Bible and science belong to wholly separate domains of reality.
The Bible pertains to the sphere of morality and spirituality; science, by contrast, has dominion in the realm of physical things.

that statement suggests you acknowledge both domains?

Halliwell 2022-09-05 20:26:31 

In reply to sgtdjones

So you blindly, some may say ‘faithfully’, believe “one of the world’s foremost authorities on biblical archaeology”? lol
Barrel of laughs, you smile

Look, there is a difference here in accepting the theory of evolution and saying you came from an amoeba. Some on here rival the amoeba in reasoning and logic! So I can see why one may presume…

The fact that evolution occurs should not be a matter of debate. We see it before our very eyes, and the way Covid progressed and is progressing is yet another body of evidence. What is in question is the shaky application to times where a fossil record is stretched beyond reason to try and prove a theoretical point.

Some of us refute the current ‘evidence’ that’s used to buttress those theories.
Others read Google and parrot the talking points. They are sincere in their faith in the current theories. They ‘choose’ to believe.

sgtdjones 2022-09-05 23:11:03 

In reply to doosra

that statement suggests you acknowledge both domains?

I may acknowledge many domains

It does not mean I follow or believe.

Seeing another opinion/domain is how I learn

sgtdjones 2022-09-05 23:38:44 

In reply to Halliwell

So you blindly, some may say ‘faithfully’, believe “one of the world’s foremost authorities on biblical archaeology”? lol
Barrel of laughs, you

Thomas L. Thompson
He then studied Catholic theology at the University of Tübingen; his dissertation, "The Historicity of the Patriarchal Narratives: The Quest for the Historical Abraham".The rejected dissertation was published in 1974 by De Gruyter Press. The work, together with John Van Seters' Abraham in History and Tradition, became one of the pioneer works of biblical minimalism. At Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, receiving his Ph.D. in Old Testament studies summa cum laude in 1976.
Thompson is a part of the minimalist movement known as the Copenhagen School, a group of scholars who hold that the Bible cannot be used as a source to determine the history of ancient Israel, and that "Israel" itself is a problematic concept.

The focus of Thompson's writing has been the interface between the Bible (specifically the Old Testament) and archaeology. Was a critic that biblical archaeology had demonstrated the historicity of figures such as Abraham and other Biblical patriarchs.Thompson presented a criticism of the historicity of the New Testament in his 2005 book, The Messiah Myth: The Near Eastern Roots of Jesus and David, he argues that the resurrection of Jesus is taken directly from the myths about Dionysus, which he described as a "dying and rising god". Dionysus was the patron god of the Orphics, who they connected to death and immortality, and he symbolized the one who guides the process of reincarnation. Dionysus was reborn. He was born to a mortal woman in both versions of the story and in both versions, he was given a second chance at life. When he was reborn, he was turned into a full, immortal god.

Thompson's minimalist positions have generated considerable controversy in the academic field and have received strong criticism from a number of scholars.
Historical critics compare texts to any extant contemporaneous textual artifacts, i.e., other texts written around the same time. An example is that modern biblical scholarship has attempted to understand the Book of Revelation in its 1st-century historical context by identifying its literary genre with Jewish and Christian apocalyptic literature.In regard to the Gospels, higher criticism deals with the synoptic problem, the relations among Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

Historical criticism has also been applied to other religious writings from Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism and Islam. Historical study... can be either critical or non-critical; and critical study can be historical or nonrhetorical. This suggests that the term "historical-critical method" is an awkward hybrid and might better be avoided

Evangelical Christians have often partly attributed the decline of the Christian faith (i.e. lower church attendance, fewer conversions to faith in Jesus Christ, despiritualisation of the Bible, syncretism of Philosophy and Scripture, etc.) in the western world to the consequences of higher criticism: acceptance of higher critical dogmas engenders conflicting representations of Protestant Christianity

Now see how puzzling religion is, where my doubts lie is as follows....
If there is a God , why did he give such spiritual knowledge to so few men, no women? So this God has preferences for Males only.
He also gave Charlton Heston the 10 commandments on some mountain top...so no woman?
He chose a woman to birth his son, sent an angel to notify this woman, and see this God hates women....

Why do I want to believe anything this racist God says ?

I want proof when you see your God ask him if I can have a chat with him? her ?
I have questions only God can answer and if history is correct, no human has seen such God?

Posting what Thomson notes is not agreeing or not agreeing with his thesis...

It is how I learn when we see the other side.

nick2020 2022-09-05 23:43:15 

In reply to sgtdjones

It is far easier to believe Jesus died on Friday and came back to life on Sunday than you built that lovely wooden deck.

So why judge?

sgtdjones 2022-09-05 23:50:01 

In reply to nick2020

So you have a problem, now

Why don't you kindly fck off, since you have nothing of intelligence to add?

evil

tops 2022-09-06 00:22:32 

In reply to Halliwell
"Others read Google and parrot the talking points. They are sincere in their faith in the current theories. They ‘choose’ to believe."
So, can we call them google thumpers? big grin

Halliwell 2022-09-06 04:23:12 

In reply to tops

That’s a good term big grin

In most circles, a rejected thesis means you don’t graduate
It means the hypotheses are not backed up by convincing evidence -experimental or archaeological- and that the candidate has failed to make the necessary arguments

nick2020 2022-09-06 11:10:02 

In reply to sgtdjones

since you have nothing of intelligence to add?

Think about it sarge:

You post a photo of your cedar deck and insist the photo is valid despite bravos finding said photo on the internet.
You were asked to prove the deck is indeed yours by sharing a photo of the deck with an object that would differentiate it from the internet photos.

Since no such photo ever emerged all we have to go by is faith that the deck is yours. The Christian Bible at least went a step further and promised us eternal happiness as a reward for unquestioned faith while you aren't even offering goat curry with roti skin on the cedar deck with a little coconut water to wash it down.

Barry 2022-09-06 14:16:58 

I believe in the wooden deck- it is that of the fatman lol

Halliwell 2022-09-06 17:26:52 

Ah Sarge, rock and hard place now.
Mess with God and tek yuh karma and hush lol

nick2020 2022-09-06 17:40:20 

In reply to Halliwell

I believe he will sue sudden.
And sudden look like de kinda bad lawyer dat will defend heself big grin

sgtdjones 2022-09-06 21:02:43 

The stupidity of some posters on this site is staggering.

Relatives back in T&T safely..( hoping for such) Why would I sue sudden, another idiotic statement.

Sodden is an idiot and will always be one, next to a picture of Sodden is the asterisk ..* failure.

I am back at work after the holidays, so it is refreshing to be amongst sane people again.

Toodles all...

cool

Barry 2022-09-06 22:58:30 

In reply to sgtdjones
Since you have al your sane colleagues, why not stay with them and get off . ..this board

razz

sgtdjones 2022-09-07 01:13:23 

You do realize you post the same things repeatedly, it is like a 2-year-old when first starting to talk.
If you wonder why posters ignore you, maybe think?

Your gormlessness posted above highlights what I have noted before .. "it is only when I see the other side that I learn."

Your responses fit such occasions.

Thanks...

Barry 2022-09-07 09:15:34 

Why do you talk for others? Is it because you are others (multiple handles) or you have no voice?

VIX 2022-09-07 15:34:43 

In reply to nick2020

Lulz

Remember when the little fat strawberry-picking imbecile used to BEG posters to send him money to provide proof of the legendary deck?

The fraudulent fool wanted money to buy more barbie dolls and choo choo trains.

You post a photo of your cedar deck and insist the photo is valid despite bravos finding said photo on the internet.
You were asked to prove the deck is indeed yours by sharing a photo of the deck with an object that would differentiate it from the internet photos.

Since no such photo ever emerged all we have to go by is faith that the deck is yours.

sgtdjones 2022-09-07 16:29:06 

In reply to VIX

Idiot

What relevance does your braying have to do with the gist of this thread?
When it is beyond your assimilation, attack the poster...

Life must suck to be you...

nick2020 2022-09-07 17:34:47 

In reply to sgtdjones

Religion, Churches should have disappeared, after Darwin's theory.

The reason why religious institutions have not disappeared is some people still have unwavering faith.

The kind of faith needed to believe in a Cedar Porch.

Barry 2022-09-07 18:26:05 

In reply to sgtdjones

Fat strawberry picking imbecile- will remember that lol

Barry 2022-09-07 18:27:14 

In reply to nick2020

I believe you and Sarge are the same cool

sgtdjones 2022-09-07 20:55:42 

In reply to nick2020

Like how VIX and you had faith in Madoff Ponzi scheme..

cool