The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

When Barbados Cricket is Strong

Headley 2023-03-12 19:07:16 

WI cricket is strong.

I used to hear this self-fulfilling prophesy (sometimes with a wink and a nod) all over Bim 25 years ago. Not so much nowadays.

imusic 2023-03-12 20:07:37 

In reply to Headley

With 6 in the starting XI and another in the squad, you would think so.

velo 2023-03-12 20:24:44 

not as strong these days but still better than most big grin

camos 2023-03-12 20:47:30 

they get 3 selectors and 6 picks on the team! big grin

openning 2023-03-12 22:00:11 

In reply to imusic
they may still be the best in the region, looking only at their regional stats.

Slipfeeler 2023-03-12 22:19:32 

In reply to camos

How did they get 3 selectors and 6 picks, after not supporting the current administration?
big grin big grin

Barry 2023-03-12 22:28:22 

In reply to openning
They are NOT

confused

openning 2023-03-12 22:43:31 

In reply to Barry
Red, instead of the smileys, show me the data.
Stop being an annoying fly at a picnic.

Logic 2023-03-13 13:17:45 

In reply to Headley

People used to take it as a relative term but its not. Just because Barbados cricket is stronger than other territories dont make it strong.

Barbados used to crush touring teams. Now even the combined 2nd 11 wi team couldnt beat Ireland.

camos 2023-03-13 13:37:57 

In reply to Logic

People used to take it as a relative term but its not. Just because Barbados cricket is stronger than other territories dont make it strong.

Barbados was strong when the domestic competition was strong, good Guyana team, good Combine Islands, good Jamaica team.

Dukes 2023-03-13 15:16:32 

In reply to Headley

Both you and the music man have made a serious error in making an assumption that I think is INVALID and that is the fact that there are 6 Bajans in the WI team means that Barbados cricket is strong..

What iit actually means is that Barbados cricket is not as weak as cricket in the other territories.

sudden 2023-03-13 15:22:18 

In reply to Dukes

Both you and the music man have made a serious error in making an assumption that I think is INVALID and that is the fact that there are 6 Bajans in the WI team means that Barbados cricket is strong..

What iit actually means is that Barbados cricket is not as weak as cricket in the other territories.

Since predicting Sobers will be a Baron, this is the rightest you have ever been big grin

camos 2023-03-13 15:34:45 

In reply to Dukes

Both are actually ridiculing the statement.

Dukes 2023-03-13 15:46:33 

In reply to camos

BUT, Barbados cricket is not strong.

camos 2023-03-13 15:47:49 

In reply to Dukes

relative to the other regional teams, it is.

Dukes 2023-03-13 15:48:37 

In reply to sudden

You seem schooled in the mode of making statements with ZERO evidence to back it up.

Methinks it is time for you to step up your game and make your statements have credibility.

Dukes 2023-03-13 15:51:24 

In reply to camos

Barbados is a first class team. A strong Barbados team therefore would be very competitive with a strong New South Wales team or a strong Natal team or a strong Surrey team

THAT is the context of the statement about a STRONG Barbados team

sudden 2023-03-13 16:06:24 

In reply to Dukes

i am agreeing with you and you are questioning my credibility? big grin

camos 2023-03-13 16:07:01 

In reply to Dukes

Barbados is a first class team. A strong Barbados team therefore would be very competitive with a strong New South Wales team or a strong Natal team or a strong Surrey team

I think the statement was always made in a regional context.

openning 2023-03-13 16:32:51 

I used to hear this self-fulfilling prophesy (sometimes with a wink and a nod) all over Bim 25 years ago. Not so much nowadays.

Most Barbadian cricket fans know that Barbados is not strong at the moment, that's one of the reason for West indies cricket not strong.
You don't win half of the regional 4-day championships, producing the most greats and not be compared with best clubs around the world.

openning 2023-03-13 16:47:09 

Here is an example of When Barbados cricket is strong, I am going to list six great Barbadian cricket, try listing your six greats from each territory.
Barbados
Frank Worrell
Clyde Walcott
Everton Weekes
Gordan Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Garfield Sober
Lets see your six greats.

Dukes 2023-03-13 17:04:45 

Rohan Kanhai
Lance Gibbs(??? Ask Sudden)
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Clive Lloyd(???Ask Sudden)
Alvin Kallicharran
Basil Butcher(??? Ask Sudden?

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

nick2020 2023-03-13 17:11:41 

In reply to Headley

One thing we can agree on:

Trinis have brought very little to our legacy.

big grin

nick2020 2023-03-13 17:13:08 

In reply to sudden

i am agreeing with you and you are questioning my credibility?

Dah fuh lick yuh. big grin

openning 2023-03-13 17:14:00 

In reply to Dukes

As a boy, I wanted something to happen to Lance fingers, when playing Barbados, the best spinner in our history.
Basil is one of my five all-time favourite West Indians.

nick2020 2023-03-13 17:18:37 

In reply to Dukes

Music Man never passes up the opportunity to side eye d Bajans. I would defend d flying fish eaters but sudden working hard to deport me big grin

sudden 2023-03-13 22:20:07 

In reply to nick2020

Dah fuh lick yuh.

I deserve that tho big grin

sudden 2023-03-13 22:20:58 

In reply to nick2020

Powen has you on the list

tc1 2023-03-14 13:39:20 

In reply to nick2020

You still without a blue card

Ewart 2023-03-14 14:41:11 

In reply to Headley

When Barbados cricket was strong its strength lay in n its glorious batting.

The bowling was just the icing on the cake.

//

Dukes 2023-03-14 15:18:38 

In reply to openning

I am going to list six great Barbadian cricket, try listing your six greats from each territory.

I just saw on Facebook a list of the top 5 players from Trinidad and Tobago and it makes your point

1.Brian Lara

2.Sony Ramahdin

3.Ian Bishop

4.Dwayne Bravo

5.Sunil Narine

Now I do not agree with that top 5 as I would have thought that Larry Gomes and Jeffrey Stollmeyer were better cricketers than Dwayne Bravo and Sunil Narine but your point is well taken.

Headley 2023-03-14 21:26:28 

In reply to Dukes

Bajans use the comment which started this thread both affirmatively and ironically. This is a popular way of 'double speaking' in Bim. Sudden does it constantly - some would say ad nauseam. lol lol lol

One of the most well known sayings from Bajan history is, "Today is a funny night". The reference to night here implied riotous things could happen. Bajans consider this high art. Trinis can be very ironic and sarcastic using double entendre but in a more obvious and humourous way.

I alluded to the 'double speaking' by mentioning the wink and the nod. You missed it my friend. big grin lol big grin

sudden 2023-03-14 21:43:15 

It is a sad day when you think you know but do not know that you do not know

Headley 2023-03-14 21:52:09 

In reply to sudden

big grin lol big grin lol big grin

When last were you in Antigua? lol big grin lol big grin lol

openning 2023-03-14 21:56:30 

In reply to Dukes
There lies the problem with our cricket;
No one replace Marshall who was Barbados last best International cricketer, Dessie being the last best Barbadian International batsman, so Barbados had two at the same time.
Barbados sporting strength was always cricket, someone dropped the ball.
Jamaica has it T&F, Reggae Boys, A Good Netball program.
T&T was producing players for the T20 format, how many T&T players are now contracted in the IPL?
Guyana last Great player was Shiv, but with the infighting within Guyana cricket, World class cricketers are not being produce
Leewards and the Windwards been on a downward curve for sometime, I always looked forward to the Leeward Island tournament, being a St Kitts fan, I did not care being asked if I've ever been to St.Kitts, I had the scores with St.Kitts beating the mighty Antigua, it was good time.
Sir Frank is rolling in his grave, having two Prime Ministers speaking about cricket from that part of the world, and cannot produce a world class great player after almost 50 years, say a lot about the people running Windward Island cricket.
I always say on this board the BCA has devalue a great product, not it is up to the blind leading the blind.
In a couple weeks they will be voting for two candidates, that has done nothing in their areas, for the development of cricket.