The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Entitled Black Americans Banned

StumpCam 2023-05-25 00:17:43 

She states that the Black Americans that come to her cottage are entitled and would want free items. She adds the she does not want Black Americans any longer for short term stays. evil

Brerzerk 2023-05-25 00:22:52 

In reply to StumpCam
Mental slavery and stereotyping doesn't end jus' suh not after centuries of divide an' rule. Jmaicans (many,many) even have a saying " Nutt'n too black nuh good"

Dukes 2023-05-25 02:37:20 

In reply to Brerzerk

I have a former in-law who has been living in the US since 1969 and she refuses to become a US citizen and after more than 50 years still has a green card

Barry 2023-05-25 11:08:20 

In reply to Dukes

She is loyal unlike you? big grin

Emir 2023-05-25 12:41:28 

In reply to Brerzerk

If the story is true, I am sure she is violating some Jamaican laws and the GOJ should act.

Now, this is not just a Jamaican problem.

All over the Caribbean, non white peoples: South Asians, African Americans, Non white Hispanics and Latinos get inferior service than their white skin counterparts in tourist locations.

I personally experienced it: 32 years ago, on my wife's 50th birthday, we took a vacation in the Dominican Republic to celebrate. On the first morning we hurriedly went to the beach to catch a morning swim. The resort workers started to shoo my wife away, speaking Spanish. After I intervened, they apologized, the manager said they mistaken my wife for a local (my wife is Indian born of Parsi origin)

These workers were fed a diet that tourists are white skin people.

Many African Americans have been complaining about racial discrimination form black resort workers in the Caribbean for many years now, little has changed.

camos 2023-05-25 13:37:37 

There are a whole lot of misunderstandings about African Americans by Jamaicans who have never lived among them, I also find that people in tourism in Jamaica think a black person should not be as demanding as a white customer.

birdseye 2023-05-25 14:50:12 

It would be nice if white people learn of this and boycott her business

StumpCam 2023-05-25 15:16:03 

In reply to birdseye

On the contrary the white conservatives support her stance!
Click on the link and check out the Twitter feed!

VIX 2023-05-25 15:39:44 

har har!

She banning misfit behaviour??? big grin big grin

I'm 100% certain the ppl who giving her trouble are supercilious, condescending caribbean misfits!

birdseye 2023-05-25 16:29:02 

In reply to StumpCam I just have an issue with any blanket discrimination of any group of citizens from any location. You run you business, you set you rules. Customers can request anything, if its not part of your business amenities, you let them know, if they don’t like it they go somewhere else. But to single out a particular segment of a population for blanket embargo, when the behavior is individual…and it is individual--- that’s a no for me.

VIX 2023-05-25 17:23:13 

the misfits should claim dem rights!!

How dare dem shitehole natives stand up to misfit ex-caribbean murcans???

big grin big grin

Headley 2023-05-25 18:02:05 

In reply to birdseye

Too much logic, too much nuance. Who has time for that? More convenient to run with the stereotype.

KTom 2023-05-25 18:16:22 

In reply to birdseye

You run you business, you set you rules. Customers can request anything, if its not part of your business amenities, you let them know, if they don’t like it they go somewhere else.

Problem with this analysis it that it assumes the process is costless and timeless. What if the customers are in your property and will not / cannot leave? How about the stress and trouble of dealing with these issues? What if such customers seek legal redress or leave negative online reviews impacting your business? Business decisions have to bear in mind such real-world considerations, not merely legal abstractions.

But to single out a particular segment of a population for blanket embargo, when the behavior is individual…and it is individual--- that’s a no for me.

The issue is one of risk mitigation. If members of different groups display differing behaviour patterns, it's entirely rational to treat them differently.

VIX 2023-05-25 18:26:59 

That woman should get a CARICOM award!! She should ban all murikans, not only the ex-caribbean misfits!! lol lol

hubert 2023-05-25 18:58:02 

In reply to camos

Agree..A bit troubling from my vantage point.But I can appreciate her concern.
Sometimes as a business person you can turn lemon in lemonade with certain courtesies that

can garner huge positive benefits..Lumping people like this is not a way to go.

birdseye 2023-05-25 20:40:01 

In reply to KTom Are you saying that all black Americans fits one or more of all the hypotheticals you postulated?

If members of different groups display differing behaviour patterns, it's entirely rational to treat them differently.
You may treat the individual differently, but not the whole population….if one member of a soccer team is consistently late for practice, you don’t discipline the whole team, well maybe you would. wink wink

Brerzerk 2023-05-25 23:33:31 

In reply to hubert
I always look forward to your take on ALL subjects.

Slipfeeler 2023-05-25 23:39:31 

In reply to Emir

My brother don’t you know that there are no black people in Dominican Republic? I did an OBGYN elective at a hospital there, and almost every patient registered themselves as Blanco ie. White, despite skin complexion.
big grin big grin

KTom 2023-05-26 08:31:55 

In reply to birdseye

Are you saying that all black Americans fits one or more of all the hypotheticals you postulated?

I'm saying that the woman, as a small business owner without any degree of monopoly power, i.e., she controls only a very small part of the market, should have the right to discriminate on whatever grounds she likes. Whether her subjective beliefs accord with objective reality is a secondary consideration.

You may treat the individual differently, but not the whole population

The woman does not have a crystal ball. By the time she encounters the problem customer, it's too late. The stress/inconvenience/expense of the situation will have to be incurred. Denying service to any group perceived as more high-risk in terms of potential costs is effectively a form of insurance. Which brings us to the cost of such insurance. If banning black Americans doesn't involve the woman in losing much or indeed any business (because her property is otherwise in healthy demand), her decision could be said to be eminently reasonable. The only losers in this situation might thought to be the blameless black Americans who miss out on the benefits of a nice holiday - they will, at least, continue to have myriad other options. If members of this group feel aggrieved, they might do better to vent their displeasure on offending members of their group than target an individual simply trying to provide for herself.

.if one member of a soccer team is consistently late for practice, you don’t discipline the whole team, well maybe you would.

Here you have experience of the individuals involved and can form a judgement as to their character. Someone renting out their cottage won't know potential new customers from Adam. Business owners are not mysteriously omniscient - they don't possess perfect information about the present, let alone the future. Risk management is central to their decision making.

Consider the case of a lady massuese who offers home visits, but only to females, on the basis that she fears harassment or worse from male clients. It might be, objectively speaking, that her fears are exaggerated and only, say, 1 in a 100 men would present a problem of any kind. The risk involved, however, could be thought great - she could be molested or even murdered. Would you support her right to discriminate against all men?

birdseye 2023-05-26 16:29:32 

In reply to KTom I don’t know of any business situation that graphs in a straight line, (linearly). There are going to be ups and down, and for her to put it out there on social media; I am a Jamaican, born and bred and I wouldn’t patronize her business now after learning her thinking… when you are in business, especially one dealing with varying personalities, its incumbent on you to develop a certain nimbleness, a certain dexterity to ameliorate situations. Egoism has to take a back-seat for an entrepreneur, especially one in the hospitality business. You need to stop making excuses for her….to tell you the truth, I think like most of us, she is so conditioned by negativity she have heard about black Americans, she is just jumping on the bandwagon to be relevant… yes, she may have inclinations favoring others, but a prudent tradesperson does not overcharge, but keep prices fixed for everyone

Brerzerk 2023-05-26 17:47:15 

In reply to KTom
Maas Tawm you have completely misinterpreted the oft seen signs in businesses. 'We Reserve The Right to Refuse Service to Anyone'
Under law in most countries that sign has way narrower perimeters than many realize. In most places discrimination based on certain factors is the key.

camos 2023-05-26 18:25:01 

In reply to Brerzerk

Under law in most countries that sign has way narrower perimeters than many realize. In most places discrimination based on certain factors is the key.

If the business has any operating permit it usually prohibits you from discriminating.

birdseye 2023-05-28 11:26:28 

Link Text