The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: West Indies 'A' defeat Bangladesh 'A' by three wickets

CaribbeanCricket.com 2023-05-26 14:54:16 

Player of the Match Kevin Sinclair’s five-wicket haul and Brandon King’s half-century, his first useful score on tour so far, steered West Indies ‘A’ to a narrow three-wicket victory over Bangladesh ‘A’ at Syhlet International Stadium on Friday.

Resuming from their overnight score of 274-6, a lead of 166, the hosts only managed to add an additional 23 runs and were bowled out for 297 for a lead of 189. Chasing victory, The West Indies were in trouble at 70-5 before King scored a stabilizing 54 as the West Indies reached 191-7 in 49.5 overs.

Irfan Sukkur, 64 not out and Nayeem Hasan on 14 overnight extended their 65-run partnership to 78 which was broken when Jair McAllister had Hasan caught behind for 17. Sinclair then dismissed Tanzim Hasan Hakib and Sukkur in quick succession for four and 72, respectively, before McAllister ended the innings with the wicket of Khaled Ahmed for 0 with the score at 297.

Sinclair finished with the impressive figures of 5-79 to go with his first innings take of 2-44. McAllister, the Player of the Match in the first drawn unofficial Test, finished with 2-42 while Akeem Jordan took 2-38.

Read more at SportsMax

Full Story

Sylobaby 2023-05-26 21:35:47 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
Good job! If it was not for bad captaincy we would have been 2/0. Da Silva was too defensive and too selfish in the first match. In the first match we ended day 2 of a rain hit game on 417/ 6, with DA Silva on 74 n.o. Instead of declaring first thing on day 3 , Da Silva chose to bat still to see if he would get a century instead of declaring to give our bowlers a chance to take 20 wickets. We could only take 17. That’s another reason why I can’t understand why Desmond Haynes is trying to turn Da Silva into a captain when he doesn’t have it as seen in the Headley / Weeks series where his team was heavily defeated in both games

PalsofMine 2023-05-27 00:47:47 

In reply to Sylobaby

OR it could be said that Silva was trying to bat only once and could not control the fact that more time was lost on the fourth day when Bangla was against the ropes and he could not say whether the WI big score was only because the pitch was so docile that they would have been chasing leather for 2 days. i agree with you that captains should be aggressive but you also have to consider that they have a lot to think about in making those kinds of decisions, including what would the other team expect and how would it affect them if I act differently from their expectations.

Sylobaby 2023-05-27 15:21:49 

In reply to PalsofMine
I agree and understand, but good captains don’t think of batting once ahead of being in a position to win a game whether by an inning or by 3 wkts. At 417/6 at close of day 3, in a match that was hindered by rain batting on day 3 showed poor leadership because at that time we couldn’t lose the game. We just had to give our bowlers time to take 20 wickets. I saw his defensive style during the Weeks/ Headley tri series where he had the best team but lost both games because of his bad captaincy. Haynes is trying to make a captain from someone that doesn’t have it just as he is trying to turn Raymond Riefer into a number 3 batsman