The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

India’s plan for untouched Nicobar isles will be

Chrissy 2024-02-07 12:58:37 

will be a ‘death sentence’ for isolated tribe

Academics from around the world have urged India to cancel a huge construction project on Great Nicobar Island, warning it would be “a death sentence” for the Shompen hunter-gatherer people who live there.

The $9bn (£7bn) port project, planned to transform the Indian Ocean island of 8,000 inhabitants into what has been called the “Hong Kong of India”, includes the construction of an international shipping terminal, airport, power plant, military base and industrial park. It will also develop tourism.

In an open letter to the Indian president, Droupadi Murmu, published on Wednesday, 39 scholars from from 13 countries have warned: “If the project goes ahead, even in a limited form, we believe it will be a death sentence for the Shompen, tantamount to the international crime of genocide.”

Brerzerk 2024-02-07 19:29:47 

In reply to Chrissy

Started typing about the disease/no immunity factor read and stopped. The once 'hunted' has become the hunter...as the world turns.

Chrissy 2024-02-07 20:14:28 

In reply to Brerzerk

Too sad bro

pooranian 2024-02-07 21:06:47 

Another line of thought is.....is it fair to keep them isolated..Aren't you depriving them of modern facilities..

Brerzerk 2024-02-07 21:22:05 

In reply to pooranian

They tell anyone they want modernization? Aren’t they the people who shot arrows at ‘intruders?”
There may be some delicate way for a win/win but experts seem to think not.

sgtdjones 2024-02-07 21:26:19 

Please read the article ...one would see this picture

A Shompen boy.

Look at the hut in picture ...notice anything?

Plastic baskets !!!! Now how can they manufacture such?

Its obvious they have had contact with the outside world.

Did they all perish as the article notes?

Much ado about nothing...

ps I am in India at the moment they are not concerned.

Jaydee, Problemjay , barry ..I am here Barmer refinery location....

Jeremy 2024-02-07 21:52:33 

India wants to developped nicobar island and lakshadweep as tourist destination.

The reason for this is because India do not wants their tourist to go to maldives anymore.

Maldives has become a problem for india. The muslims in maldives do not like india and they do not like modi.

India has been funding maldives for century but now i expect those funds will soon stop.

Nicobar island and lakshadweep island belong to india so they can do whatever they want.

Same how USA developped their virgin islands and hawaii.

Jeremy 2024-02-07 21:54:24 

Nicobar island and lakshadweep island belong to india so they can do whatever they want.

I hope that dumbo like emir, runs, ray and westdem can understand this and stop running around like antimans.

Jeremy 2024-02-07 21:59:07 

In reply to Brerzerk

Started typing about the disease/no immunity factor read and stopped

You is the same as all them antiman here. You is the biggest one of them all.

Why were you not talking about Hawaii, Tahiti and all them small islands that the USA developed as tourist destination.

Why were you not talking about diseases then. You are jealous of india.

Your pakistan not doing too well lately.

Jumpstart 2024-02-07 22:49:40 

In reply to Jeremy

Tahiti is a french colony genius

Jeremy 2024-02-07 22:53:09 

In reply to Chrissy

In reply to Chrissy

why are you posting article from the UK about india.

You know Uk and western world always write bads thinks about India because they are hindus and it contradict their christian belief.

sgtdjones 2024-02-07 23:46:55 

In reply to Jumpstart

No need to insult Jeremy...cool

Jumpstart 2024-02-07 23:49:12 

In reply to sgtdjones

you're right. i apologize.

Chrissy 2024-02-07 23:55:06 

In reply to Jeremy
The Guardian is the best newspaper on the planet - bar none. Check out its ownership.

Poor you.

sgtdjones 2024-02-08 00:01:05 

In reply to Chrissy

Unfortunately its your opinion....about the newspaper...

Anyone with an iota of braincells would see its BS concerning this article...I pointed out flaws..

They have had visitors on a regular basis...

googley 2024-02-08 00:12:13 

In reply to sgtdjones

What you doing in India? Trying to get into another franchise? lol

Brerzerk 2024-02-08 00:39:56 

One is 100% sure the basket wasn’t gathered from the ocean or gotten from having limited contact compared to the hordes that would be required to build and tour (tourist). The other didn’t know that Pacific Islanders had contact with Euros centuries before America even got Hawaii! Extermination of a people is dependent on the level of contact, population and volume of outsiders plus length of contact…simpletons. So, in the last 60 days you’ve done a train tour East/West across Canada and back, been to TNT, San Fran Bay Area, Texas India and where else again?

sgtdjones 2024-02-08 01:08:02 

In reply to googley

I had explained to barry that I was going to India and would visit his relatives.
I explained that the Barmer refinery was having some problems ( Heat Transfer and reaction engineering) that will not help the throughput at such plant.
He called me all sort of names ...lol
We made a deal since he is from India , when I go I will notify him...
I told him I wanted to see if the relatives were as stable as him...

Barry
In reply to sgtdjones

There the dead venezuelan whore will become my concubine
A common theme in BARRY'S posts like the "socafighter" is "the dead Venezuelan whore"...or the "dead whore"...which...who is he alluding to
Is the "dead whore" a Catholic?...God asking? lol lol lol lolVenezuelans are Catholic.

He them cussed my dead mother and called her a Venezuelan whore ...lol
He is something else..

I am here waiting for him to show up...lol

see thread....back room [b] Funny: Died looking up at a Hoe![/b]

I can interview pundits for you...lol

I am on a train in two hours...

Jeremy 2024-02-08 07:23:22 

In reply to Chrissy

The Guardian is the best newspaper on the planet - bar none. Check out its ownership.

The guardian is a british news paper. You need to go back to school.

All british newspaper about india are propagandas.

The british wanted to turn hindus into christians but they fail so now they are pissed and writing nonesense about india.

bbc and the guardian are know for that.

India was threatning to sue bbc it's why they are quiet now. Many bbc workers were charge for writing propagandas about india and they bbc had to apologise.

XDFIX 2024-02-08 14:23:03 

The area needs proper infrastructure and increased development - it's the 21st century!

What's the life span in those underdeveloped areas, 45?

Once there is an organized structured development, nothing is wrong!

Brerzerk 2024-02-09 12:14:44 

In reply to XDFIX

How is "development" working out in The Amazon? World survival will depend on some areas being undeveloped. Notice I said hopefully some 'delicate' solution can be found. Did someone without an iota of proof asserted they get visitors on a regular basis???

XDFIX 2024-02-09 13:07:33 

In reply to Brerzerk

In other words, some areas must make sacrifices for the big stagers, nothing is wrong with orderly development. We are where we are because of disorder!

KTom 2024-02-23 11:39:23 

Not sure why the Guardian title refers to 'untouched' Nicobar isles (plural) and then relates that Great Nicobar Island has 8000 inhabitants. Of those it seems the Shompen may presently consist of only 1-3% of the population:

In 2001, the population was estimated at approximately 300.[5] Shompen Village-A and Shompen Village-B are home to most Shompens. Before the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami, the villages were home to 103 and 106 Shompens respectively.[9] However, by the time of 2011 census, only 10 and 44 people were left in these villages respectively.
Link

sgtdjones 2024-02-23 14:38:39 

In reply to KTom

Not only the Guardian , we have posters here who have never visited India but comment.
These islands have been touch by visitors over the past few decades again look at the picture, posted in the article.
In the background a human foot is shown with shoes.

Brerzerk 2024-02-23 15:18:21 

In reply to sgtdjones

Would you rate the above as your most intelligent utterance? Does someone need to visit a place to speak on it?
So if I visit Queensland but not NSW can I speak on NSW or all of Oz any of it or none of it? If I visit Goa but not Gujarat can I speak on both of those, all of India none of it?
If I've never visited Canada can I say anything at all with authority about Ontario, Alberta, NewFoundland/Labrador?

sgtdjones 2024-02-23 16:18:12 

In reply to Brerzerk

Ever notice how Ignore you...

If you didn't, here is a hint.

Have a good life.

Brerzerk 2024-02-23 19:22:17 

In reply to sgtdjones

Take a next train trip to Alberta, then hurry to Trinidad, run guH Texas afterwards and hurry to SFO Bay area next then hustle to India all in the space of a month
cause yuh large n in charge as a sarge. Oh, I forgot you just 'did that'..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sgtdjones 2024-02-23 21:36:29 

If I cared about what other people think of me; I shall always be their prisoner

Yawn.