The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Bahamas wants to keep crime off front page

Slipfeeler 2024-02-13 19:00:59 

NASSAU, Bahamas, CMC – Bahamas Prime Minister Philip Davis is urging the local media to keep crime off front pages amid concerns that the tourist sector, the lifeblood of the chain of islands, could be severely affected.

The US Embassy in Bahamas has issued a security alert on crime in The Bahamas and the subsequent international reporting has highlighted the situation in the country.

Davis said that a plan of action is underway, with the government preparing to launch an aggressive campaign to promote and protect the country's reputation.

“You see the advisory that went out the other day, how that has taken legs? We are now hearing some concerns about the falloff in tourism,” Davis told religious leaders on Monday as he discussed his administration's plans to deal with the crime situation.

Source: Jamaica-gleaner.com

Slipfeeler 2024-02-13 19:13:43 

Never heard them complained when it’s about Jamaica or T&T

velo 2024-02-13 23:21:35 

Some Bahamians will tell you it the influence of jamaicans that is responsible for their crime situation.

Slipfeeler 2024-02-14 00:23:29 

In reply to velo

Not saying that Jamaicans not living there but when I visited, never seems to me like a large number of Jamaicans living there, in fact, I see more Haitians than Jamaicans. Although historically, just like the in the Cayman Islands, Jamaicans have been instrumental in the legal and medical development of both islands. Anyway, the Bahamas always seeking preferential treatment, and do not really considered themselves as a part of the Caribbean. I had a colleague from there in Med school and we spent some boisterous hours arguing about this same topic. big grin