The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

They forgot the Refrigerated Truck

Drapsey 2/15/24, 2:00:51 AM
Drapsey avatar image

debut: 12/26/07
33,274 runs

10 Inventions You Didn’t Know Were Created by African American Inventors

February is Black History Month. Although we should honor the amazing contributions of all people during every month of the year, February is a good time to shine a special spotlight on a few of the brilliant and innovative African American inventors of the past whose inventions have made life easier for everyone.
- edited -
KTom 2/16/24, 9:56:38 AM
KTom avatar image

debut: 7/22/22
778 runs

I still don't know it. Most of these 'inventions' relate merely to patents, which for the sake of argument, I'll propose never led to any practial or commercially viable products. Show me otherwise.
Drapsey 2/16/24, 11:52:27 AM
Drapsey avatar image

33,274 runs

In reply to KTom

What could be more practical than the universally used Traffic Light? Not sure how it benefitted the inventor, but it remains part of our everyday lives.

Even the Refrigerated Truck mentioned in the subject line is depended upon to transport frozen goods, again positively affecting our everyday lives.
- edited -
KTom 2/16/24, 12:44:06 PM
KTom avatar image

debut: 7/22/22
778 runs

In reply to Drapsey

What could be more practical than the universally used Traffic Light? Not sure how it benefitted the inventor, but it remains part of our everyday lives.

History of traffic lights

The real question must surely be - what, if anything, was original or innovative about Morgan's design? Do we have proof that General Electric paid him $40,000? And if they did, were they really buying his system or was it essentially a legal measure to close out competition and promote their own models?

Even the Refrigerated Truck mentioned in the subject line is depended upon to transport frozen goods, again positively affecting our everyday lives.

I don't think anyone invented the 'refrigerated truck' in the sense you mean. Transport and refrigeration are two such general systems/technologies that the idea of combining them to transport perishable goods seems too obvious to be considered an invention or inspiration. But if thought of a series of technological developments then it's possible that your man played a role. Of whom do you speak?

Ice trade
Drapsey 2/16/24, 1:08:15 PM
Drapsey avatar image

33,274 runs

In reply to KTom

Don't recall the guy's name. Afterall, I only saw that on a documentary about 25 to 30 years ago.

All's good.