The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Is Barbados cricket dynasty finally ended?

Castled 2024-02-18 23:47:27 

Pound for pound the greatest cricket nation in history now has its glory days firmly in the rear-view mirror.

Defeat by historical lightweights Windwards is the exclamation mark on the end of an era. Bim is led by the West Indies cappo to boot.

When Bim players express fear of Leewards another set of lightweights its clear the curtain is drawn on a once invincible force.

Gun_Play 2024-02-19 00:09:33 

You gotta lose sometime, nobody wins everytime.

Hopefully the players will b3 determined to improve.

TanteMerle 2024-02-19 01:25:41 

Are you crazy.
If a full squad for every territory competed,
who do you think will win?
Bim has how many players playing in the competition again?
I am not defending Bim, but don't be stupid.
Bim's main issue is the selection committee.
Some of Bim's best players are playing for other teams in this competition.

And to be fair, West Indies dynasty is over.
That's the picture that you should be watching.
How do we get Wondies back to West indies.
This territorial squabbling that is persistent on this board
is systematic of the issues that persists among the Wondies.

When we learn to get along as a team (West indies) we will probably compete.
I am not talking about the jovial banter,
But the nonsense that is posted here by the likes of Jumpy and Barry especially.

Now, in the land of the blind, one-eye is King.
Bim is still King among these blind territories.
But, that is getting Wondies nowhere.

Voiceofreason says is best,
Fix the governance first.

openning 2024-02-19 02:15:56 

In reply to Castled

Many years ago my brother called to inform me his beloved Yorkshire was playing in the first division, as we got into the how and why, I learned there is an Elite division.
I was shocked, we both played for Yorkshire, never in my wildest dream did I think the club had the personnel, to be in the first division.
I told him at the time, the BCA did not have the population to have a promotion and demotion, and a quarter of the population was no longer playing cricket.
The first-year players started leaving clubs that they were members of, and Yorkshire benefitted from Maple and Carlton players.
Players who back in the day would be playing Intermediate are not playing in the Elite and first division.
There is no competition within the clubs.
Players can fail year after year, but because the clubs are struggling, certain players will not be dropped, because the clubs need the money.
The product has been devalue, that's the problem.

Jumpstart 2024-02-19 03:14:23 

In reply to Castled

Pound for pound the greatest cricket nation in history now has its glory days firmly in the rear-view mirror.

Just for reference purposes.......when did desmond haynes debut again?

tc1 2024-02-19 04:30:10 

In reply to Jumpstart

have the tits produced a cricketer since Lara, and how many before him?

Jumpstart 2024-02-19 05:04:50 

In reply to tc1

Has barbados produced a batsman as good as lara......coming from a country where cricket is the national sport(no competition like football or cycling in Barbados). other than gary sobers of course

TanteMerle 2024-02-19 08:18:14 

In reply to tc1

Don't argue with a fool.
Cause he (Jumpy) will bring you down to his level
and beat you with experience.

Do not argue with a man, whose argument
is based on a one-man argument.
Why do you think he keeps referencing Lara?
Has Bim done this and that since Lara.
He suggests that Trini's cricket is built on Lara.
Why do you think he keeps asking about Bim since Lara,
and Bim's cricket legacy?
I say he is a fool and you should not respond to his stupidity.
You know the ' birds of a feather' allegory.

analyst-kid 2024-02-19 09:01:01 

Barbados dominance in regional cricket had surrounded

1.Their pace attack
2. Their all-rounders
3 Their batting.

Last year they gave some young batters ( McCaskie, Worrell, Wickham and Drakes) a try under Dowrich and refused to field a four prong pace attack with four pavers ( Drakes McAllister, Simmons and Jordan ) all averaging below 25, some below 20. The batting failed miserably and they suffered three defeats to Guyana, Leewards and Windwards.

This year again,they refused to field a four prong again without the cover of all-rounders Reifer, Chase and Mayers and relied on two pacers , two spinners and an unfit Primus at the expense of McAllister and the emerging Cumberbatch.

Until the Bajan selectors realise their pace attack is their major strength ...Barbados will continue to fail as their selectors have adopted a different mindset from decades of selections, relying on spinners (who are not even on WI radar)and a declining Brathwaite in batting and captaincy.

Emir 2024-02-19 13:29:59 

In reply to Castled

WI cricket and world cricket need a strong Barbados, there were time when a Barbados team could have been any test team in the world.

Now, I am not sure if you argument is correct, but I do hope the talent pool is still bubbling.

openning 2024-02-19 14:10:25 

In reply to analyst-kid

You are burying your head in the sand, not one of the bowlers mentioned is ready for regional cricket, I heard a commie speaking during one of the Elite games, he said Jordan is good for the first, but afterward, he is below average and is slow.
McAllister is as green as a few weeks' mango, it is a shame seeing him and the pacer from Carlton bowl.
For players to be competitive they should be fighting to retain slots within their clubs, which is not the case.
I saw Ashley Nurse giving out LBW, walking under a tree, cussing the Umpire and carrying on shouting at the opposition.
This was at Yorkshire.
I played for Yorkshire the policy was, that you are given out, walk back to the dressing room and remove your pads
I believe Kyle Hope is the last batsman to score 800 runs in a season, can you list guys who continue scoring 400-500 runs per season, consistently?

2023 BCA Elite division Championship, Averages

tc1 2024-02-19 14:35:57 

In reply to TanteMerle
kool
I try not to engage a child.

openning 2024-02-19 14:48:16 

In reply to Jumpstart

You are dumber than a jackass, in comparing Lara to every great Barbados batsman.
Let me list a few so the public will see your ignorance.
Frank Worrell
Clyde Walcott
Everton Weekes
Conrad Hunte
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes

Ray123 2024-02-19 15:12:26 

In reply to openning

Cause of this absurdity we not even considering Sir Garfield St Aubrun Sobers lollollol

openning 2024-02-19 15:15:40 

In reply to Ray123

It is a sin to compare to Sir Gary to any batsman, bowler or fielder.
I can never devalue what he meant to the game of cricket.

Castled 2024-02-19 15:30:42 

In reply to Ray123

Seymour Nurse.

Openning is a dedicated student of the game he brings fairness and balance unlike jumpy

openning 2024-02-19 15:43:19 

In reply to Castled

Seymour has not played enough test cricket to be placed with the Elite group mentioned, but he is the second-best batsman batting the positions of 3-5, that Barbados have produced.

seaegg99 2024-02-19 16:44:49 

In reply to analyst-kid

Kid you on point again. Some would watch a Primus in Bds. team but a young Springer on Windwards. McCallister getting his first cap and producing enough to be selected to WI A team yet he now have to carry water.

Some focus on 500+ runs now even knowing that much of the season was hampered by a very rainy season and many games postponed. What can a season of 7 or 8 games tell really tell you? What you are not seeing is that a 31.00 avg will get you to close to 500 runs over 8 games and 16 innings.
The stats you list have close to 10 players with averages over 40.

Bds. cricket is not the same that is a given but we have to develop the young talent. That is failure on management and coaching.

Bds. selectors are a bunch of conservative, elitist, stuck in the past bunch and have no foresight. Like some Bim posters on here.

Jumpstart 2024-02-19 16:48:01 

In reply to openning

none of those dudes, as great as they are, are in the same dimension with Brian Charles Lara homes. the last time you came with this foolishness, you were trying to argue that everton weekes, a dude who never scored a hundred down under(Australia), was better than the prince, despite ten innings in the country

openning 2024-02-19 17:30:48 

In reply to Jumpstart

Dude, stop.
Dukes and a few Guyanese called a friend for info about Sir Everton the comparison with Rohan ended immediately.
I leave the comparison of Headley, Weekes, Richards and Lara to the historians

Castled 2024-02-19 17:55:48 

In reply to Emir[/][b]In reply to Emir

Now, I am not sure if you argument is correct, but I do hope the talent pool is still bubbling.

Nope, Bim's deep bubbling talent pool is at an end. The visionary Frank Worrell saw this coming fifty years ago. He ensured doors were open for Windward and Leeward players because he felt that's where talent would emerge in future. The future is here. Jamaica, T&T, Guy, Bim talent pools are dry. The responsibility is on the so-called smaller islands to step up their game.

Jumpstart 2024-02-19 19:03:59 

In reply to openning

Dude, stop.
Dukes and a few Guyanese called a friend for info about Sir Everton the comparison with Rohan ended immediately.
I leave the comparison of Headley, Weekes, Richards and Lara to the historians

great.....and not one mentions Weekes in the same sentence as BCL. not one. the only reference i saw with weekes and lara was weekes saying in public that Lara was past his best prior to the 2001 brownwash in Sri Lanka. lara then cored 600+ runs versus murali and vaas on doctored pitches. The only bajan batsman in Brian Charles' Lara's class is Sir Gary Sobers.

openning 2024-02-19 20:12:06 

In reply to Jumpstart

What are you basing your argument on?
Since you have not seen an inning batted by him, you also should call a friend

googley 2024-02-19 20:40:36 

In reply to Jumpstart

Has barbados produced a batsman as good as lara.....other than gary sobers of course

Budday, you answer your own question!! lol

cumberland 2024-02-20 01:07:42 

In reply to Castled

Nope, Bim's deep bubbling talent pool is at an end. The visionary Frank Worrell saw this coming fifty years ago. He ensured doors were open for Windward and Leeward players because he felt that's where talent would emerge in future. The future is here. Jamaica, T&T, Guy, Bim talent pools are dry. The responsibility is on the so-called smaller islands to step up their game.

A truer thing you have not said all year!

Particularly the Windwards, so much can be made of the young ones (boys & girls) who are interested in the game. Trouble is WI want them making a fist of the red ball game. They think otherwise!

Baje 2024-02-20 01:46:55 

In reply to Castled

I recall winwards beating us when we had Greenidge Haynes and our fast bowlers
I am more concerned that folks who couldn't make Barbados team went elsewhere and were productive and were able to contribute to defeating us.
Greaves, Mayers, Reifer, Springer,.......maybe add Jofra too
We have McAllister carrying water..time for him to leave
Even Brooks, Chase, Hope, Drakes all looked more productive playing for other CPL teams

Castled 2024-02-20 02:20:16 

In reply to Baje

I recall winwards beating us when we had Greenidge Haynes and our fast bowlers

Those were flukes. Bim won more regional titles than rest of teams combined. The island's standards were of the highest class. The confidence to tackle a Rest of the World X1 is proof . Bim of late finishes in the lower half of regional standings. The mighty have fallen.

analyst-kid 2024-02-20 09:49:49 

In 2020 Barbados won the four day tournament

In 2021 there was no tournament

In 2022 Barbados won the four day tournament

Last year they finished third.

This statement " Bim of late finishes in the lower half of regional standings" is substantiated by what evidence?

Barbados problems lies in extreme poor selecting of late.

Springer is spearheading a Windwards attack with Martin and John yet Barbados totally disregards Springer and can't even pick three pacers benching McAllister who is his debut year last year took 15 FC wickets , avg 15.00 and was selected for an A team tour. Opening says McAllister is green when the reality is he takes wickets, has pace and is a work in progress after his first FC season last year.

Motara the young teenaged leg spinner spearheads the CCC taken seven wickets against Jamaica. Last year in a trials play offs, Barbados vs the Rest, Shian Brathwaite, an opener scored 130 against the Bajan attack, Motara took 4 wickets including the wickets of Hope and Chase, but neither Shian or Motaro even close to a Bajan selection, Motara is behind Chaim Holder, Warrican, Leacock Boyce, Kirton are all spin options ahead of him.

Jumpstart 2024-02-20 16:21:40 

In reply to Castled

it still have hayley matthews. the hero we need

Castled 2024-02-20 16:25:23 

In reply to Jumpstart

lol lol

You are a bigger trini pest than Jackal Warner

Jumpstart 2024-02-20 16:26:33 

In reply to Castled

lollollol

seaegg99 2024-02-20 16:38:20 

In reply to analyst-kid

The "Bajan Name Brand" crew of selectors. Them old farts have no foresight at all. They just can't separate talent from the practice players.

openning 2024-02-20 18:17:09 

In reply to Baje

I am delighted seeing a number of Barbados players contracted by other regional teams, I have never been a fan of Brookes, Nurse, Warrican or Primus.
I follow the games in the BCA every season, did not see Springer playing for Carlton, that tells me something, I am not surprise he replaced Mayers and Greaves in the Windwards.
I am also happy for Walcott, he is a better batsman than what we are seeing, I am looking forward to his batting in the third round.
With McAllister who is so green, Holder returning from an injury and Jordan being so slow, that pace bowling attack needs help.
I would had prefer seeing Roach, Mcallister and Holder, the team needs leader on the field and in the dressing room.
Chamar Holder is lonely out there, no one to guide him.

Jumpstart 2024-02-20 18:45:24 

In reply to openning
as long as allyuh producing and promoting militarized boy scouts who can't perform under pressure, then you will always produce players NOT of international standard. the actual talented players like fidel, kirk, dwayne smith to an extent and it seems cheemar holder, get no support and nothing but fight down, which is strange for a country as rabidly nationalistic as Barbados. Vasbert drakes is another one.

openning 2024-02-20 20:15:18 

In reply to analyst-kid

Opening says McAllister is green when the reality is he takes wickets, has pace and is a work in progress after his first FC season last year.

Kid, you have buried your head in the sand and are not looking at the root cause of the decline in Barbados producing elite international players.
Have a look at the club structure, you will see the same players playing at the highest level, whether they are performing or failing.
Clubs need the money and find it hard to move players to a lower division, that's what having so many clubs in two top divisions will do.
Who is Mcallister working with at Wanderer or the BCA?
Who is the Fastbowlers coach and how many students is he working with?
Are these coaches fully trained and have the equipment to see flaws and work with them?

openning 2024-02-24 16:49:47 

In reply to analyst-kid

Springer is spearheading a Windwards attack with Martin and John yet Barbados totally disregards Springer and can't even pick three pacers benching McAllister who is his debut year last year took 15 FC wickets , avg 15.00 and was selected for an A team tour. Opening says McAllister is green when the reality is he takes wickets, has pace and is a work in progress after his first FC season last year.

It is pleasing to see Springer having his best series, McAllister is not yet ready, he is greener than a green golden apple, back in the day he would be part of a second-division team, I don't see anything in his bowling.
The Pride needs to look at the team selected, no team can afford three medium-slow bowlers.