The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

This is how you deal with racists

Chrissy 2024-02-20 18:14:20 

Paramore's Hayley Williams decries TN GOP after Allison Russell resolution dustup

Paramore singer Hayley Williams decried a Tennessee House of Representatives dustup this week where a Republican lawmaker blocked a resolution honoring the Grammy win of Black musician Allison Russell while allowing a similar resolution honoring Paramore to go forward.

"For those that don't know, Allison Russell is an incredibly talented musician and songwriter. Her music spans genres with strong ties to the Folk/Americana scenes. You might have seen her on the Grammy stage performing with the great Joni Mitchell. Oh, she is also Black. She's a brilliant Black woman," Williams said in a lengthy statement provided to The Tennessean. "The blatant racism of our state leadership is embarrassing and cruel. Myself, as well as Paramore, will continue to encourage young people to show up to vote with equality in mind."

JayMor 2024-02-20 18:31:35 

In reply to Chrissy

This is how you deal with racists

Hmmm. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

In light of your love/support for Machel's tune this year, I saw this in the T&T Newsday and saved it for you:-
https://newsday.co.tt/2024/02/18/power-of-soul-of-calypso/

--Æ.

Chrissy 2024-02-20 18:38:24 

In reply to JayMor
A truly lovely read - thanks bro.lol

After 40 years of Trinidad Carnival, I finally realised that a calypso can be so well crafted that it feels like a piece of magical realism literature. The magic is rooted in reality, and the song feels timeless. In the moment of listening, there is no clear delineation between past, present and future. That’s the essence of magical realism.

JayMor 2024-02-20 19:03:56 

In reply to Chrissy

[Board still eating some of my posts.]

That piece is quite charming. They don't write like that anymore.

--Æ.

Chrissy 2024-02-20 20:30:12 

In reply to JayMor

Lovely read for real.

sgtdjones 2024-02-20 20:52:11 

In reply to JayMor

To Understand Calypso

It is noteworthy to mention that his musical journey began in Spektakula, a calypso tent, and subsequently expanded to encompass a multitude of festivities. Presently, the convergence of these two experiences as a result of his juxtaposition is establishing a new course.
By visiting these calypso tents, one can gain a deeper understanding of the themes that served as inspiration for previous calypsos.

As a result of the prohibition on inter-slaved Africans from communicating, early calypso functioned as both a vehicle for ridiculing their slave masters and a means of communication.
At this time, none of this exists; nevertheless, it has evolved into a derision of politicians et al.
The griots tradition was introduced to Trinidad and Tobago by enslaved Africans, where it flourished with rhythm and melody. Alypsos performed in French Creole, the regional vernacular, prior to the English language's ascendancy over the island nation.

However, calypso is one of the most politically charged musical traditions; it frequently blends lighthearted cadences with profound and understated social commentary.
When the first commercial calypso recordings were produced between the 1920s and 1930s, the genre entered its golden age. The format served as a conduit through which Trini communicated and interpreted political occurrences, in addition to being his principal news source.

While calypso is primarily performed in Trinidad, it is worth noting that this folk song genre is also widespread in the eastern and southern Caribbean islands. The subject of a calypso is a contemporary and local event that holds political and social importance. These songs are often satirical and witty, employing allusion, derision, and double-entendre in their tone.

We have not yet fully grasped the initial message, which is to have fun...
Dynamic in nature, calypso music consists of call-and-response vocal performances and the syncopated 2/4 calypso rhythm.
In contrast to its widespread association with calypso, the steelpan is not employed within the context of traditional mento music.
Steel pans (alternatively known as steel drums or "pan") were developed and implemented in this genre of music in Trinidad and Tobago during the 1930s.

Machel made an effort, but it was not the same as that of earlier eras. Each was uniquely distinct.

Jumpstart 2024-02-20 21:08:24 

In reply to JayMor

Machel's tune aint nothing special. if chalkdust did come with a song like that, they'd have booed him out the tent. David Rudder's Calypso Music traced calypso from the plantation to now. Everybody knows the story of soca. In fact even outsiders know it(Shorty and the creation of soca is discussed on Red Bull's Music academy). I read the article as well. I don't think maestro and shadow can be credited for the development of soca. popularizing it, yes, but that was Garfield Blackman's creation. They didn't for example, have to deal with the fall out of trying to make music from the traditions of two then disparate tribes. He caused serious controversy using instruments such as the dholak, ney flute an dhantal in his music, especially from certain religious organizations.

And i take serious issue with that lady calling us divided. its true yes.....but guess what, the entire world is divided. Wherever yuh have two or more groups in enough numbers to influence an election yuh have division. Trinidad and Tobago is better than most in that regard