The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Why Is Umpire's Call Necessary?

spider 2024-02-23 16:44:25 

This is what Stokes said: “Umpire’s call, personally I think we should just get rid of it. If it’s hitting the stumps, it’s hitting the stumps, then it’s a level playing field.” But it’s not as simple as that. The path to the stumps is a projection that has within it a margin of error. The technology, at this time at least, cannot calculate, for example, the aforementioned knuckling effect that would affect the track the ball takes after leaving the surface, or the effect of a sudden rush of wind.

The point is that the margin for error inherent in the technology would, as former England captain Nasser Hussian pointed out while doing commentary on Sky, have the effect of making the stumps wider and higher. Batsmen would, as a result, get out more frequently, and matches would, on the whole, end more quickly. Nobody wants that, I’d imagine.

Nothing is perfect in life and in sport. The DRS system was devised, it was said, to rid the game of obvious umpiring errors.In April 2021, Anil Kumble, then head of the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) cricket committee, had this to say about DRS: “The principle underpinning DRS was to correct clear errors in the game whilst ensuring the role of the umpire as the decision-maker on the field of play was preserved, bearing in mind the element of prediction involved with the technology. Umpire’s call allows that to happen, which is why it is important it remains.”

Full Story

bird 2024-02-23 19:13:35 

In reply to spider

I hear Gavaskar saying last night if there is no umpire's call the games will finished in 2 to 2 and half days

SnoopDog 2024-02-23 19:38:41 

In reply to bird

I think they should do away with using the hawkeye technology for LBWs.

Just accept the umpire's decision and be done with it.

SnoopDog 2024-02-23 19:40:29 

In reply to bird

I hear Gavaskar saying last night if there is no umpire's call the games will finished in 2 to 2 and half days

He's right. Anything that hits the pad will be referred and as long as it's clipping the stump by even 1mm, it's out.

Maispwi 2024-02-23 20:06:20 

Because Hawkeye has a margin of error which is high enuff to require a second opinion for balls that are shown to be just clipping the stumps or bails.