The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Pre Test Tour Match

4REALQUICKS 3/20/24, 11:33:31 AM
4REALQUICKS avatar image

debut: 2/16/24
213 runs

I wonder if they will arrange a squad mixed teams match before they depart for England...

It would be a nice opportunity to make the final decisions on the remaining places, which as it stands, could well be several in number. Alzarri Joseph leading one team against a Brathwaite led XI would be good to see.

The selection of a wider range of players to make up the inter-squad match could be very interesting...

Louis, Solozano, Chanderpaul, McCaskie perhaps vying for a spot as opening partner for Captain Braffit?

Athanaze, McKenzie, Hodge, Wickham, Anderson, Carty, Goolie in the middle-order mix?

Holder, Greaves, Sinclair, DaSilva, Imlach, Andrew as all-rounders / keepers?

Roach, Alzarri Joseph, Shamar Joseph, Seales, Louis, Phillip for the chin music?

Motie and Bishop for donkey drops?
PalsofMine 3/20/24, 1:18:50 PM
PalsofMine avatar image

debut: 2/2/23
1,348 runs

are they doing Headley Weekes this year? That series should be the virtual trial matches for the test and A teams.
openning 3/20/24, 1:22:26 PM
openning avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
43,893 runs

In reply to 4REALQUICKS

Is that part of your best practice?
We have seen players during the A tour to South Africa, the tour to Australia and the Regional 4-day tournament.
Select a squad, and have a 2-week camp in preparation.
If there is time for an inter-squad game during the camp do it.
WICFan 3/20/24, 1:52:54 PM
WICFan avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
8,993 runs

In reply to 4REALQUICKS

I would have thought that a quick tour of Ireland should proceed before a tour of England.

Whether it's a one off test or a tour game or two against an Ireland 'A' side to get a bit of familiarity with conditions would be up to the Boards and ICC.
PalsofMine 3/20/24, 2:32:24 PM
PalsofMine avatar image

1,348 runs

In reply to WICFan

Yes, a tour game and a one off test v Ireland is probably more worthwhile than net practice in England before the first test.
positiveg 3/20/24, 4:53:18 PM
positiveg avatar image

debut: 3/29/07
24,183 runs

In reply to PalsofMine

Yep they do have the Headley Weekes match this year again.
PalsofMine 3/20/24, 9:33:44 PM
PalsofMine avatar image

1,348 runs

Great. Am looking forward to how they will do the format. I think that it should be champion team versus two best of the rest teams. Those should virtually be the trial matches for the test series to come later in the year and A team.
hubert 3/21/24, 9:51:17 PM
hubert avatar image

debut: 11/14/02
18,449 runs

I think it would be more productive and useful for the WI Board to arrange an A tour to England
prior to and during the Test tour thereby involving the red ball players who will not be part of
the T20 World Cup...and at the same time have an Icebreaker Test or two with
Ireland after the England visit.

But I think it is too late for this to arrange as it was not on the WI Board radar,,as usual.smile

As far as I know The ECB will not be giving the WI Test squad FC games(not practice games)
before the 3Test series.
- edited -