The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Bassarath joins call for Narine's return to Windies' T20 setup

sgtdjones 4/18/24, 2:05:05 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
35,111 runs

Bassarath joins call for Narine's return to Windies' T20 setup

CRICKET West Indies (CWI) vice president Azim Bassarath is willing to “beg” ex-maroon spinner Sunil Narine to come out of international retirement and feature one last time at the 2024 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.
Bassarath joined a clarion call led by West Indies T20I captain Rovman Powell, who was vocal in his quest on April 16, to possibly lure the mystery spinner back to the regional setup for the June 1-29 showpiece event.
Powell said he asked current WI player Nicholas Pooran and retired internationals Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo to help inspire his return. Former maroon fast bowler Tony Gray also believes Narine would be a welcomed addition.
Bassarath said he tried to contact Narine on April 16 but was unsuccessful. He plans to continue trying.“I haven’t spoken to him (Narine) and he hasn’t spoken to me. I called him this morning at 9.53 am but did not get on to him. Everybody is asking for him to change his mind and come represent West Indies, at least for this last chance.“I haven’t spoken to him (Narine) and he hasn’t spoken to me. I called him this morning at 9.53 am but did not get on to him. Everybody is asking for him to change his mind and come represent West Indies, at least for this last chance.

“It is my intention to give him a shout, and if I have to beg him to come back and make himself available to play in this tournament. Because this is what the people need.”
The TT Cricket Board president Bassarath confirmed that he also reached out to Queen’s Park Cricket Club president Nigel Camacho – Narine’s domestic club – for help.
“I have also spoken to the QPCC president, and he indicated to me that he will also reach out to Sunil to see if he can change his mind to come on board.”
- edited -
sgtdjones 4/18/24, 2:06:06 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,111 runs

Say NO Philip

Play in T20 leagues around the world.

Enjoy watching games from home with your family
- edited -
dayne 4/18/24, 3:02:39 AM
dayne avatar image

debut: 5/29/07
7,727 runs

It is amazing that all these Narine fans are overlooking the reason why Narine is staying away from ICC controlled matches. Narine is making a great living playing in T20 leagues that would not scrutinize his bowling action, why should he risk screwing that up by returning to International cricket?
Jumpstart 4/18/24, 5:32:13 AM
Jumpstart avatar image

debut: 11/30/17
9,360 runs

In reply to dayne

Sunil has only been reported once in an international game, and ironically he was cleared upon investigation. He has been reported three times in franchise cricket, twice in the IPL and once in the PSL. Sunil is not afraid of playing international cricket
sgtdjones 4/18/24, 5:39:07 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,111 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

Jumpy

Ignore the naysayers...rolleyes
Baje 4/18/24, 9:10:32 AM
Baje avatar image

debut: 12/10/02
7,686 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Instead of begging Sunil why don't they offer him 5 million US dollars to cover future earnings that he might lose
Wasp 4/18/24, 12:03:28 PM
Wasp avatar image

debut: 12/31/07
8,123 runs

The man said he not interested....let he be cause he may not perform like he should n we go.curse he
sgtdjones 4/18/24, 3:49:48 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,111 runs

Players and Management asking Narine to play

Yet Couch potatoes experts making negative comments

Only in the Caribbean ah say...
doosra 4/18/24, 3:51:59 PM
doosra avatar image

debut: 5/26/04
92,703 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

at some stage WI must stop sounding desperate and go ahead with who is available and with confidence

Narine told Badree he is ok at home and so WI ppl must move on and respect his decision
sgtdjones 4/18/24, 3:54:39 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,111 runs

In reply to doosra

I Agree with your opinion.
Narper 4/18/24, 6:22:01 PM
Narper avatar image

debut: 1/4/03
253,242 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Philip knows which side he bread buttered....he knows he has at least another 5 years in the IPL....why jeopardize that to play in a T20WC....Philip has nothing to prove....he is quite happy with his current status....that cant be said for LaBasse Ratbig grin
Narper 4/18/24, 6:33:24 PM
Narper avatar image

debut: 1/4/03
253,242 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

In fact, West Indies captain Rovman Powell, who was in the opposition camp on Tuesday (April 16), revealed later that he's been trying to get Narine to come out of international retirement.

"For the last 12 months, I have been whispering in his ears," Powell said of Narine, "but he's blocked out everyone."

"I've asked [Kieron] Pollard, [Dwayne] Bravo, [Nicholas] Pooran. Hopefully, before they select the team, they can crack his skull."

Link

Is Powell begging on behalf of Haynes and Sammy?
- edited -
Jumpstart 4/18/24, 6:41:20 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

debut: 11/30/17
9,360 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Yet Couch potatoes experts making negative comments

yuh swear WI have this bounty of resources eh. take russell out of that team and see how good we play. Rovman is right. although for some, hetmeyer is the savior, the messiah we need cool
Maispwi 4/19/24, 1:21:15 AM
Maispwi avatar image

debut: 2/4/03
16,363 runs

WI eh tired begging players?

In 2019 WI beg Russell to play.

In 2021 WI beg de old guard of Polly, Bravo, Gayle and Russell to play.

In 2024 Wi begging again. Maybe dey think third time go be a charm
- edited -
Walco 4/19/24, 1:39:23 PM
Walco avatar image

debut: 6/22/08
13,327 runs

In reply to Narper
So Powell thinks Pollard and Pooran will be able to convince Narine to play T20 international cricket under his captaincy even though those two could not convince Narine to play when they captained the T20 team???
WICFan 4/19/24, 1:41:57 PM
WICFan avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
8,993 runs

West Indies like to build for the next World Cup and then when they get there they ask the old guard to make themselves available. rolleyes
sgtdjones 4/19/24, 8:43:06 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

35,111 runs

In reply to Narper

Philip and Bassarath dont get along.

Bassarath laughed at Philip when he was called , Dinas came to his rescue and chewed up Bassarath.

Bassarath as usual claimed he was misquoted. To much Fraud going on at T&TCB under Bassarath nose.

He should focus on that allegations of 2.5 million misappropriated , now 500,00 missing....

Rum till I die ...