The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Move on from the Narine generation

Page: previous  1
Walco 4/19/24, 1:30:13 PM
Walco avatar image

debut: 6/22/08
13,327 runs

In reply to Emir

Wow, so you don't see Narine as one of your own? You are willing to accept the foreigner's view on him? Although his action was cleared?

Unlike you, I have Narine's interests at heart when I say he should stay from International cricket. And what foreigner's view am I accepting? I do not speak or understand the language in that video, but my lying eyes tell me that the delivery to Kohli involved well over 15 degrees of straightening. In other words, Narine pelt out Kohli. Do you think India, Australia and England will just sit back and allow him to do that to their players in the T20 World Cup?
Walco 4/19/24, 1:32:54 PM
Walco avatar image

13,327 runs

In reply to imusic

That said, if he were eligible to play, even at his age now, he would be one of the first names on the starting XI

He would be one of the first names on my team as well. But you did not answer my question.
Jumpstart 4/19/24, 4:16:36 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

debut: 11/30/17
9,359 runs

In reply to Emir

homie, you remember in a Caribbean t20 game, after the red force had just put another pounding on a typically terrible bajan side, a bajan player was asked about the runout of a mankad of dwayne bravo that dwayne smith did, when the game was already finished as a contest and tino and he others had started to descend into poor behavior(may have been a response to picong by pollard tbh). anyways the commie asked the player about the incident and described bravo as a west indian compatriot. the player said that bravo is not his compatriot. bajans feel they're above wi cricket based on a glorious past that disappeared after Maco's debut, more than 40 years ago
Jumpstart 4/19/24, 4:17:21 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

9,359 runs

In reply to Walco

Unlike you, I have Narine's interests at heart when I say he should stay from International cricket

you seeing a spot that can be occupied by a bajan or its a bajan he'll replace
tc1 4/19/24, 4:45:21 PM
tc1 avatar image

debut: 6/12/04
17,483 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

you wish the tits had a bowler like Malco
Jumpstart 4/19/24, 4:48:45 PM
Jumpstart avatar image

9,359 runs

In reply to tc1

i don't compartmentalize west indies cricket into islands like bajans hoss. a bowler like maco, regardless of the team he represents regionally, is great for WI cricket
Emir 4/19/24, 4:49:38 PM
Emir avatar image

debut: 8/9/14
17,642 runs

In reply to Castled

Recently Simon Dhoull the celebrated New Zealand commentator stated Narine had returned to pelting

Yep, you got your massa validation.
- edited -
Emir 4/19/24, 4:53:10 PM
Emir avatar image

17,642 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

Very disappointing that poster WALCO can go to the insular gutter, I thought differently of him.
Walco 4/19/24, 8:16:08 PM
Walco avatar image

13,327 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

you seeing a spot that can be occupied by a bajan or its a bajan he'll replace

So says the person who thinks Narine should be picked solely as a batsman big grin big grin big grin
Emir 4/19/24, 10:58:00 PM
Emir avatar image

17,642 runs

In reply to Walco

Why the insularity?
Walco 4/19/24, 11:09:30 PM
Walco avatar image

13,327 runs

In reply to Emir

How am I insular? I already said I would pick Narine for the T20 WC if he made himself available. But I'm trying to explain why he will not and should not make himself available.

There is a CPL fantasy league on this site that is run by Nick2020 every year, and I always pick Narine on my team because I know what he can do on a cricket field. Two bajans have been called for pelting in recent years--Kraigg and Reifer. And yuh know what? I fully expect that they both have bountiful harvests during mango season smile
- edited -
Besar 4/20/24, 9:03:58 AM
Besar avatar image

debut: 3/18/05
161 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

Was there ever an improvement as you stated? Also, as I recalled, the WICBC at the time of selecting a new captain chose Richie Richardson, who by then had established himself in the team as an excellent batsman. The rational was that Richardson was much younger that Desmond Haynes, so he offered a long term solution. This was explained to the public by the Board, so why up to this day people cannot accept that? To me, it was a reasonable explanation. Off course, Richardson turned out not to be the best captain, but the rational was a good one. I am certain that this is the same consideration the present administration applied when they selected Hayley Matthews over Diandra Dottin and Stephanie Taylor. So far, this seems to be working. by the way, why should Viv Richards decide who his successor should be?
Onionman0 4/21/24, 6:51:47 AM
Onionman0 4/21/24, 6:57:06 AM
Onionman0 avatar image

debut: 3/6/20
3,864 runs

Brilliant from Narine [his spell against SRH]. He assesses situations. He had a little bit of time when he got called for throwing. Narine was under the pump a little bit, he has remodelled his action a touch. He knows now, not playing international cricket, I think he knows he’s not going to be called anymore.

‘’He knows that’s not a problem for him so he’s probably gone back a little bit to the old action in some way, shape or form. He’s actually getting more purchase. He was one of the few that actually got a little bit of assistance out of the track tonight,” Doull said.

Those who have followed the 35-year-old Trinidadian’s career are well aware of his travails with his actions - which caused him to miss the 2014 Champions League T20 final. He was barred from bowling in international cricket one year later before he received clearance to bowl in all domestic and international cricket formats in 2016 after a correction programme supported by the KKR management.

However, Narine was again called out for his bowling action in the Pakistan Super League in 2018 and then in the middle of the Indian Premier League in 2020. He changed his bowling motion after being cleared shortly after on both occasions.

Now very much a journeyman in franchise cricket, Narine last played for the West Indies in 2019 and announced his international retirement last year. It remains to be seen how Gambhir, now the mentor and fiercely protective of his players, tackles a ticklish problem!

Page: previous  1