The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Nothing says Spring like Frost and hail in Southern Ontario

sgtdjones 4/23/24, 5:05:46 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
35,135 runs

Nothing says Spring like Frost and hail in Southern Ontario

Ontario will once again see the turbulent side of spring this week, with back-and-forth temperature swings that will bring about another frost risk by mid-week.
Will that be it for the frost chance this spring?
Spring is a famously temperamental season and it’ll certainly live up to that reputation this week across Ontario.
Cool days are ahead once more with daytime high temperatures just getting above the freezing mark in the northern sections and remaining in the single digits in the southern end.
Overnight temperatures will range from 1°C to as cold as -5°C in central Ontario on Thursday morning.

Frost is expected as a result, so, if you have begun planting already, it will be necessary to protect them beforehand.
The average, last-frost date is around the end of April or the first week of May for southern Ontario.
Those are just average dates, however, as below-freezing temperatures can occur to the end of May, but will that happen this year?
May 28, 1949 is the latest date that Pearson International Airport has seen a below 0°C temperature.

Environment Canada
- edited -
Medusa 4/25/24, 11:11:41 PM
Medusa avatar image

debut: 11/20/22
83 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

When I was a student in Canada it always snowed in April. I remember walking out of my last exam in 1970 and was greeted by heavy snowfall outside. I felt like crying. I made the decision there and then that I had to find somewhere else to live.
sgtdjones 4/25/24, 11:49:48 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
35,135 runs

In reply to Medusa

Last night we had frost in the Niagara golden horseshoe.. While temperatures will continue to be chilly on Friday morning, prompting another risk of frost for much of the province, things start looking up as temperatures will start their uphill climb, bringing abundant sunshine through Friday.

Temperatures will be heating up in southern Ontario this weekend, following days with a frost-and-freeze threat. An active storm track will drag both warmth and moisture into the region, introducing a summer-like humidex

On Sunday 30 deg C