The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The Joy of Teaching

CricSham 2024-06-07 14:25:31 

Dear Friends I had a professionally fulfilling experience this month. Students whom I taught and graduated from high school in 2020, graduated from Adelphi this spring. As a member of the faculty at Adelphi I also participated in their College Commencement Exercises. I wrote a piece and would like to share it with everyone. The students are all West Indian, except one. Here is the link.
...How do I break this news to them especially after such a challenging year? Agonizing over it that evening, I could hardly sleep. But hope springs eternal in the human breast, and that indomitable will of the Gateway Spirit ignited my resolve to reach out to the Mayor’s office.

Chrissy 2024-06-07 19:16:56 

In reply to CricSham
Lovely

Brerzerk 2024-06-07 21:20:24 

In reply to CricSham

you know as I get older I've become one of those persons West Indians would describe as
one who 'bawl fi every lil foolinish' Maan you have me fighting back dem streaks down the face.
Well and Beautifully done Sir!

CricSham 2024-06-07 22:48:05 

In reply to Chrissy

Thanks Chrissy. As an educator, you know what it feels like to see the smiles on the faces of our students when they receive their diploma. This was extra special, because they entered college in September 2020, and their entire first year was remote learning. That was on top of them being on remote learning and missing out on senior activities in their high school because the lockdown started n February 2020.

CricSham 2024-06-07 22:56:29 

In reply to Brerzerk

one who 'bawl fi every lil foolinish' Maan you have me fighting back dem streaks down the face.
Well and Beautifully done Sir!

Thanks bro. I know what you mean. In 2016, I asked one of my seniors, Adleesa Edwards, Guyanese too and with a rass voice to tug at your heart strings, to perform at our high school graduation. Me Jesus, Adlessa did a rendition of "Let it Be" at graduation. Man, there was not a dry eye in the place. When I took the microphone to acknowledge and thank her, twice I had to step away crying like a big ass baby. I am still in touch with her dad. We exchange greetings at Christmas each year.

hubert 2024-06-08 12:47:34 

In reply to CricSham

Just wonderful, wonderful my friend.. Congrats on your work.
Nothing beats that intrinsic feeling.
That's an educator/teacher's ultimate reward to bask in the achievement and
growth of their wards.
Well done.

CricSham 2024-06-09 13:32:16 

In reply to hubert
My brother Hubert thank you for such kind words. Indeed, that is a teacher’s greatest joy. I’m sorry for the late response, but I’m traveling this weekend

hubert 2024-06-09 15:39:33 

In reply to CricSham

That's cool,my friend...Please find time to take in India-Pakistan match..Helluva boost for the
game in USA..sardine packed Full House at Eisenhower Park..

Headley 2024-06-09 16:20:13 

In reply to CricSham

Congratulations and best wishes.

Just a little joke as a part time adult tutor myself.

Throughout the last four years, Jennifer, like so many of my students, kept in touch, often expressing appreciation and gratitude for the support, encouragement, and guidance during those crucial high school years. As any educator will tell you, such heartfelt acknowledgement from our students is priceless, but most gratifying to us is knowing that our students have imbibed such timeless qualities as gratitude, appreciation, and humility. But our greatest joy is seeing our students realize their foremost dreams:

Teachers get so much satisfaction from their endeavours that getting paid is a bonus. big grinlolbig grin

CricSham 2024-06-09 21:07:55 

In reply to hubert

I’m not a fan of T-20. I was checking in on the scores. That was Pakistan game to lose. At 57 for one it’s their game to lose.

CricSham 2024-06-09 21:12:54 

In reply to Headley

Thank you, my friend.
Btw that’s a good one Headley. lollollol
Like we say in the profession: We love what we do but we still have bills to paylol

Headley 2024-06-12 00:17:44 

In reply to CricSham

big grinlolbig grin

CricSham 2024-06-13 15:52:12 

In reply to Headley
lol Thought you’d like that! I shared your joke with a few colleagues. They are looking for youlol

Headley 2024-06-13 19:31:56 

In reply to CricSham

Please tell your colleagues I am kith and kin. lol

My dear mom is a retired teacher. My headmaster even pulled me into the profession for a term as a sixth former when he could not find a teacher for a special subject.

I think teachers should be very well paid. Our society will benefit. After-all if teachers are well paid the need for guidance counsellors, police and even prison officers will be reduced.big grinlolbig grin

CricSham 2024-06-13 20:30:50 

In reply to Headley
Lol. Oh, I’m well aware of your sentiments. But I did not know its in the family too.
On another note, are you aware of the teacher strike in Guyana? Shameful and it’s not like they don’t have the money.