The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Ultra-Orthodox students must be drafted, Israel

XDFIX 2024-06-25 16:39:19 

Israel’s Supreme Court has unanimously ruled in a landmark case that ultra-Orthodox Jewish seminary students must be drafted to the military.
There have long been exemptions for conscription for young men registered in full-time religious study, but a legal arrangement allowing the practice to continue had expired.
The move looks set to send shockwaves through Israel’s governing coalition, which includes ultra-Orthodox, or Haredi, parties.
A waiver from conscription for ultra-Orthodox men had become a more pressing social issue because of the strain on the armed forces caused by the ongoing fighting against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
"In the midst of a gruelling war, the burden of inequality is harsher than ever and demands a solution," the top justices said.

HERE

THE FREE RIDE IS OVER - SHALOM!

Brerzerk 2024-06-25 17:42:42 

In reply to XDFIX

The irony of that privilege is interesting. Dem 'said same' men with ear-locks
attack defenseless unarmed Palestinians everyday even murdering many with M16.

Yet fighting tooth n nail to avoid military service.
That's like Steve Bannon declaring it would be a privilege to go to prison yet appealing his prison sentence.
Hypocrites.

XDFIX 2024-06-25 21:37:37 

In reply to Brerzerk

I don’t understand why they were excused in the first place!

Why should some go to war and a group of people go free!

What about we are in this together!

If anybody should go to war it should be the ultra-orthodox!

As a segue, I can never understand why veterans are treated so poorly in the US!

Every man who fights in a just war should be treated as a hero - women too, heroine!!

Brerzerk 2024-06-25 23:12:52 

In reply to XDFIX

there are very few if any just wars. But, if your country sends you to kill or be killed when you return you should be treated
very, very, specially. Never unhoused, never without food or medical care. When I used to go to cricket practice two Vietnam vets
used to panhandle just by the exit. Got to know them well and would give them a bill every now and then to buy their beers.
One day I didn't see the one I knew better and asked the other only to be told he died in his tent one night. Disgraceful.

XDFIX 2024-06-28 00:25:45 

In reply to Brerzerk

A wicked act in how veterans are treated! No wonder, nobody is in a hurry to join the army these days!