The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Listen to this Jewmaycan grandpa...

BeatDball 2024-07-17 02:06:29 

precisely, how I feel about alyuh! Fool stop.https://youtube.com/shorts/pUEYvkNvSnA?si=InpJNkoUzijkWdkT big grin

Brerzerk 2024-07-17 13:51:45 

In reply to BeatDball

Do you know that is an Igbo (East Nigerian ethnic group) term? I was stunned when I heard a Nigerian use it. One day same person kept twirling a can of ackee and looked at the label pic in surprise said ah-ah!
Then shouted. I know this thing, a tree was at my Grandma's village. They used to say don't touch it on the tree but we used to pluck the seeds and play with them. Is this what you guys been giving me to eat eh?

JayMor 2024-07-17 15:52:18 

In reply to Brerzerk

In reply to Brerzerk

JayMor 2024-07-17 15:55:20 

Arawak, this board is still doing fuckeries! The post I composed has now been eaten! evil

--Æ.

JayMor 2024-07-17 16:08:35 

In reply to Brerzerk

Funny, I know "kunu munu" to be of Yoruba origin. I understand that the first African settlers in the Naggo Head and surrounding Portmore areas were actually Yorubas. 'Naggo' is the word they call coastal dwellers, apparently, which makes sense since such would be the first and most easily captured into the slave trade. In my youth we also heard the word "mumu", ...meaning 'dumb' in both the physical sense and the rhetorical. I've come to learn that it is Yoruba too.

--Æ.

PS:- Another blank was rendered for my post. I had copied it this time and so am able to edit it in. Donno what's going on.

BeatDball 2024-07-17 16:11:41 

In reply to Brerzerk I know of few Nigerians in my block...not sure if they are Igbos...but, will ask!

JayMor 2024-07-17 16:24:06 

In reply to BeatDball

There is no word in the English language for 'you' in the plural sense (the reason for regional constructs like "all yuh", "y'all", "yous", etc.). And hence the continued use of the Igbo "oonu" in Ja, varying to "woonu" in Bim.

It's too bad that "Nigeria is so jagga-jagga, everything scatta-scatta" (anyone know dat chune?); otherwise, I would pass some time in Igbo land (Biafra) seeing what I could learn.

--Æ.

sgtdjones 2024-07-17 16:35:58 

In reply to BeatDball

Cunumunu (2020 Chutney Soca)...razz

Brerzerk 2024-07-17 16:59:11 

In reply to JayMor

Thanks for the correction JayM apparently the word crossed ethnicities and is a common Nigerian and perhaps wider West African word.
Sarge the beauty of the Caribbean is that all cultures came together to mold one lovely existence. Take Jamaican Patty, it would not exist
without Indian Samosas being served warm by enterprising women, Chinese entrepreneurship, African flavors and Irish Pasties.