The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Admiring Sunak’s grace in defeat

Page: 1  2 next 
sgtdjones 7/18/24, 2:46:27 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
36,394 runs

Admiring Sunak’s grace in defeat

It was so refreshing to see outgoing British PM Rishi Sunak, hand in hand with his wife quietly at his side, acknowledging with humility whatever he may have achieved during his tenure, but empathizing with those from his party who may have lost their seats, thanking them for their efforts; but most of all, for his commendation for his successor, Keir Starmer, wishing him all success for the future. His country is by no means perfect, still tainted with the “evils” of Empire, and with its fair share of scandals—like with Profumo of a long time ago, and recently with Boris Johnson re: Covid—but there is no missing how it still remains as the epitome, indeed, the benchmark of what is good and upright in the politics from which the world, generally, has so sadly departed.

And elsewhere in the world it is no different. Putin’s enemies continue to mysteriously catapult from high-rise buildings, and Chi has manipulated the political system to stay in power for life. Trudeau continues to be indifferent to the continuing Canadian cry against his leadership and Macron is manipulating his return after Le Pen’s initial surge. Maduro continues to maneuver the Venezuelan elections to his advantage, as this once one of the richest countries in the world, lies in ruins and its people wander to find a place to call home. And history is replete with examples—like the case with Idi Amin in Uganda or Pol Pot of Cambodia or Hitler in Germany or Mussolini in Italy—of leaders who continued to enjoy office by harnessing the psychology of what it takes to remain in that office when everything screams at their unfitness for the job. And what of us here in once-sweet T&T?

Rishi Sunak’s gesture in defeat in the British elections is like the setting sun on an evening on King’s Wharf on the jetty in San Fernando. It will soon be gone, but the memory of what can be still remains, and that is refreshing in a world where politics is all self and power.
doosra 7/18/24, 3:46:39 PM
doosra avatar image

debut: 5/26/04
94,309 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

stewps

wunna does be easily fooled wid fancy speech

show me his actions
sgtdjones 7/18/24, 7:01:41 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

In reply to doosra

Following the upheaval of leadership changes, Prime Minister Rishi faced the challenge of adhering to his party's doctrines.
When governing a nation, it is crucial to strike a delicate balance between upholding ideological principles and addressing practical challenges.
Rishi had limited patience and time to correct the intricate problems his party created.
He diligently pursued its objectives, resulting in a series of unfortunate events spanning nearly ten years.
Meanwhile, it is critical to evaluate the results of any leadership with a thoughtful and compassionate understanding of the complex realities at play.
- edited -
XFactor 7/18/24, 7:59:57 PM
XFactor avatar image

debut: 11/5/05
5,371 runs

In reply to doosra

Should have claimed the elections were tainted by fraud à la Guyana's Granger, who you staunchly supported.....
Halliwell 7/18/24, 10:31:16 PM
Halliwell avatar image

debut: 5/14/05
22,691 runs

In reply to doosra

The narrative of the all conquering betah was unceremoniously derailed, and this is the natural recovery plan. By any means necessary and shamelessness is not off the table.
doosra 7/18/24, 10:33:38 PM
doosra avatar image

94,309 runs

In reply to XFactor

he coulda just do a trump
doosra 7/18/24, 10:33:58 PM
doosra avatar image

94,309 runs

In reply to Halliwell

yea dem nuh fool everyone
sgtdjones 7/18/24, 11:08:51 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

PM Rishi: A Tale of Unforeseen Hiccups

You know, it's funny how the political landscape can shift so dramatically, isn't it?
One moment, a leader is riding high on a wave of success, and the next, they’re grappling with the fallout from their predecessors' missteps.
Take PM Rishi, for instance.
His journey from being a promising figure to facing unexpected hurdles is a classic example of how the past can cast a long shadow over the present.

When Rishi Sunak first stepped into the limelight, there was a palpable sense of optimism.
Here was a young, dynamic leader with a fresh perspective, ready to steer the ship through turbulent waters.
His initial moves, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, were widely praised.
The furlough scheme, for instance, was a lifeline for millions and showcased his ability to act decisively in a crisis.

But as we all know, politics is rarely a smooth ride.
The narrative of an all-conquering PM was soon to be tested, not just by the challenges of the present, but by the ghosts of the past.
You see, Rishi's party has had its fair share of tumultuous leaders.
Each brought their own set of policies and decisions, some of which left lasting impacts.
Let's rewind a bit and look at some of the key figures who set the stage for the challenges Rishi would face.

David Cameron:
Remember the Brexit referendum?
Cameron's decision to hold the vote was a gamble that didn't pay off as he had hoped.
The result plunged the country into a period of uncertainty and division that still reverberates today.
The economic and social ripples of Brexit have been a persistent thorn in the side of subsequent leaders.

Theresa May:
Stepping into Cameron's shoes, May faced the Herculean task of negotiating Brexit.
Her tenure was marked by a series of political battles, both within her party and with the EU.
The infamous "Brexit means Brexit" mantra became a symbol of the struggle to find a clear path forward.
Her inability to secure a deal that satisfied all factions led to a sense of stagnation and frustration.

Boris Johnson:
Enter Boris, with his charismatic and often controversial style.
His promise to "Get Brexit Done" resonated with many, but his leadership was also marred by scandals and questions about his handling of the pandemic.
The "Partygate" scandal, in particular, eroded public trust and left a cloud of controversy that Rishi would later have to navigate.

​Rishi made strides, no doubt.
His focus on economic recovery, digital innovation, and social cohesion are steps in the right direction.
But the narrative of an all-conquering PM is a complex one, shaped by the successes and failures of those who came before, and a party of old fogies set on British ways and principles.

It’s a reminder that in politics, as in life, we’re all part of a larger story, shaped by those who came before us and those who will come after.

​Rishi is a tale of political highs and lows, of legacies and leadership. He had limited time before an election and it showed by the results.
It’s a reminder that in the world of politics, nothing is ever truly straightforward.
But hey, that’s what makes it so fascinating, right?
- edited -
sudden 7/19/24, 12:01:41 AM
sudden avatar image

debut: 11/27/06
53,341 runs

at the bottom of that post instead of reading, “edited”, it should read, “plagiarized”
sgtdjones 7/19/24, 1:43:27 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

.....When one cannot refute facts ...become a critic without evidence.

unfortunately ...I don't responded to girthed idiots...

Get your simpletons to respond to you..
- edited -
Halliwell 7/19/24, 9:17:17 AM
Halliwell avatar image

22,691 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Rishi made strides, no doubt.
His focus on economic recovery, digital innovation, and social cohesion are steps in the right direction.

There was no recovery.
He was a fanboy of tech and did tangibly little.
Social cohesion went in the opposite direction.

But his hair and skin are ‘right’ so he’s a hero nevertheless.
sgtdjones 7/19/24, 6:04:01 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

In reply to Halliwell

UK’s profitable troubles can be traced to its dismal record on productivity growth just 4.3 percent from 2007 to 2023
A rise in productivity – the capability of workers to produce further with lower – is the crucial motorist of profitable growth and perfecting living norms
The UK’s productivity gap has been extensively attributed to times of chronically low investment relative to other advanced nations.

Gross domestic product( GDP) per capita grew just4.3 percent from 2007 to 2023

While challenges really persisted, Prime Minister Rishi's term indeed saw England passing a period of recovery, marked by advancements in manufacturing, structure, and scientific exploration.
The manufacturing sector, particularly in advanced technologies and sustainable diligence and enforced strategic enterprise to promote exploration and development, foster invention, and attract investment in slice- edge fields similar as renewable energy, artificial intelligence, and biotechnology.
Elevated and expanded critical structure enhanced productivity, connectivity, and effectiveness across the country.
Boost in exploration backing, especially in the fields of healthcare and environmental lores.
The International Monetary Fund( IMF) has projected that the UK will see GDP per capita grow6.2 percent between 2024 and 2029, which would be faster than every other G7 frugality piecemeal from the US and Japan

A crucial factor impacting long- term substance and competitiveness is social cohesion.
Political stability and an emphasis on commercial development and profitable expansion characterize cohesive societies.
Was political stability apparent before Rishi term?
It can be described as the “ cement ” that bonds society together, essential for achieving peace, republic and development.
This “ cement ” is made up of four crucial components
Has England ever achieved such components?

But his hair and skin are ‘right’ so he’s a hero nevertheless.

The above I view personally is a racist comment , I offer no opinion.
- edited -
XDFIX 7/19/24, 9:46:45 PM
XDFIX avatar image

debut: 3/2/03
17,640 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Somehow, I like British manners!
doosra 7/19/24, 9:50:11 PM
doosra avatar image

94,309 runs

In reply to XDFIX

It's good when it's genuine but don't take it from no politician who not so long ago wanted to send refugees to Rwanda
sgtdjones 7/20/24, 1:19:13 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

In reply to doosra

What is wrong with Rwanda ?

Trump will deport millions back home.

T&T government is deporting Venezuelans back to Venezuela , a country they are fleeing from.
Their kids were recently allowed to attend schools.
Halliwell 7/20/24, 9:14:42 AM
Halliwell avatar image

22,691 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

You just seriously asked what is wrong with Rwanda?

Start by googling the court of human rights

When you went to the hEscarpment, what would have happened if the Mounties hauled your rass to Pakistan? Now I know most probably you weren’t an asylum seeker, but you must be sensible enough to understand the slippery slope ahead.
Emir 7/20/24, 12:10:53 PM
Emir avatar image

debut: 8/9/14
18,189 runs

In reply to Halliwell

Now I know most probably you weren’t an asylum seeker

No!!!

He was an asylum seeker in the earlier 80's- he was one of the small group who claimed refugee status in Canada based on the lie there were racially persecuted in Trinidad and they wanted an independent homeland in Trinidad called "Indesh."
sgtdjones 7/20/24, 3:30:33 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

In reply to Halliwell

I noticed how you dodged the Rishi discussion....

T&T is deporting Venezuelans back to their homeland.....you ignored such by your pal Rowley and Hinds.

In April 2022, the government said that any asylum seeker entering the UK "illegally" after 1 January 2022, from a safe country such as France, could be sent to Rwanda.
The government says the plan will deter people from arriving in the UK on small boats across the English Channel, a key priority for Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.
There were 52,000 asylum seekers who could potentially be sent to Rwanda.
In November 2023, the UK Supreme Court ruled unanimously that the Rwanda scheme was unlawful.
It said genuine refugees would be at risk of being returned to their home countries, where they could face harm.

The UK government also signed a new migration treaty with Rwanda, which Home Secretary James Cleverly said guarantees that anyone sent there would not risk being returned to their home country.
The UK government had paid £240m to Rwanda by the end of 2023. The UK's asylum system costs nearly £4bn a year, including about £8m a day on hotel accommodation.

Did you notice Illegally, they did not come thought the system as immigrants do.

When you went to the hEscarpment, what would have happened if the Mounties hauled your rass to Pakistan? Now I know most probably you weren’t an asylum seeker, but you must be sensible enough to understand the slippery slope ahead.

My Grandfather was a goldsmith and started a business in the late 1940's in Canada , it was successful and expanded to a couple of Provinces in Canada .
My parents received job offers at McMaster University. I was never a refugee , nor any member of the family. I am a Canadian Citizen that pays taxes and bring Forex to build this country. the same I do in T&T.

When I graduated (overseas) I came and lived in Burlington, Ontario. I started an Engineering Company and that has offices in a few countries world wide. Its a Privately owned multinational, thus my various travels.
Later, I bought farms one on the escarpment, another near lake Erie. A couple of years ago I bought an old Tobacco farm and ran into the problem of large Escarpment rocks that are being blasted and dug out 31 hectares rise about 100 m, gigantic rocks of the Canadian shield. The large rocks are sold to Canadians that have riparian rights on lakes in Canada.

The Niagara Escarpment, in Ontario, is 725 km long, with a maximum height of 335 m. The formation of the Niagara Escarpment began 430 to 450 million years ago, when the entire area was submersed by an ancient shallow sea. The Niagara Escarpment carves out a notable landscape throughout the Niagara Region

Canada's population recently crossed 41 million , she will accept 1.5 million immigrants and refugees over the next two years . She accepted approx. 1.5 million over the last two years.

Its difficult to deport a Canadian Citizen to Pakistan unless I rent a truck with explosives....razz
- edited -
Halliwell 7/20/24, 7:35:03 PM
Halliwell avatar image

22,691 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

There is no such thing as an illegal asylum seeker, because you can’t name a single LEGAL route for an asylum seeker.

The clue is in the name

You drinking Google GB News koolaid

You can’t go to the visa office in Afghanistan or Yemen and say ah want to buy ah passage to Inglan, ah leaving allyuh to go claim asylum
Halliwell 7/20/24, 7:36:20 PM
Halliwell avatar image

22,691 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Give back the Native Indians their land. You can’t quarry their rocks.
sgtdjones 7/20/24, 8:54:38 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

In reply to Halliwell

Give back the Native Indians their land. You can’t quarry their rocks.

The Between the Lakes Treaty (No. 3) was negotiated in 1784 and updated in 1792.
The Treaty, between the Mississauga's of the Credit and the British Crown, covers approximately 3 million acres between lakes Erie, Huron and Ontario.
The *Six nations are paid a tax every two years .
My land taxes pay a portion towards the Six Nations people.
The rocks are sold to a company who then sells and delivers to riparian land owners.
Ontario Government collects such taxes and its paid to Six Nations people.
I do not own such minerals. I didn't realize how large some of these rocks are.
Its a large Tobacco farm that is no longer in use.
My purpose is to flatten these hills and grow saffron.
What I am doing is legal so be quiet.

* Six nations are referred to as a combination of various native tribal lands.
sgtdjones 7/20/24, 9:06:07 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

In reply to Halliwell

Let me learn ya...

There is no such thing as an illegal asylum seeker

When someone circumvents established procedures and enters or remains in a country without proper authorization, they are considered an "illegal asylum seeker" or an "irregular migrant."
This term is used to differentiate them from those who have followed the proper legal channels for seeking asylum.
It's worth noting that the terminology and legal frameworks surrounding asylum seekers can vary from country to country.
Each nation has its own laws and policies to address such situations.

you can’t name a single LEGAL route for an asylum seeker.

There are several established avenues individuals can pursue to seek asylum within the confines of the law.
One such route that is recognized globally is through what is referred to as the Refugee Status Determination process.

This process typically involves an individual presenting themselves at a designated location, such as an embassy or border checkpoint, and expressing their desire to seek asylum.
They would provide compelling evidence and documentation to support their claim of persecution or fear of harm in their home country.
The authorities would then conduct a thorough assessment, examining the individual's circumstances and evaluating the validity of their claim.

If the assessment determines that the individual meets the legal criteria for asylum, they would be granted refugee status.
This would provide them with the necessary legal protections and rights, allowing them to reside in the country of asylum and eventually integrate into its society.

excerpts
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

If one is gay like sodden , he will be put ahead of anyone in line by Immigration Canada.( persecution)..cool
- edited -
Halliwell 7/20/24, 10:43:56 PM
Halliwell avatar image

22,691 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Sad that you still believe there is something called illegal asylum seeker
sgtdjones 7/21/24, 3:06:06 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

In reply to Halliwell

Sad that you still believe there is something called illegal asylum seeker

Nothing to be sad about I explained my position above clearly.
sgtdjones 7/23/24, 6:59:40 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,394 runs

In reply to Halliwell

You changed narratives , then ran...cool
Page: 1  2 next