The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Shamar- A genuine All rounder in the making

Page: previous  1
chantilly 7/28/24, 1:48:41 AM
chantilly avatar image

debut: 12/8/06
5,088 runs

In reply to doosra

Stop it. The man is not slogging he’s playing proper cricket shots. He might seem to be playing a shot a ball but that’s what happens when you’re batting at 11. He should be batting at 8 soon.
doosra 7/28/24, 1:55:03 AM
doosra avatar image

debut: 5/26/04
94,364 runs

In reply to chantilly

here is a short list of my standard-bearer allrounders

Sobers
Kallis
Botham
Kapil Dev
Imran Khan
Ben Stokes
et al.
- edited -
Jumpstart 7/28/24, 2:30:39 AM
Jumpstart avatar image

debut: 11/30/17
10,430 runs

In reply to doosra
I'd include richard hadlee and that racist clive rice on this list as well. apparently he was prolific in fc cricket
chantilly 7/28/24, 3:33:36 AM
chantilly avatar image

5,088 runs

In reply to doosra

Those are elite all rounders. I don’t think anyone who knows cricket could argue about those 6 along with Hadlee, Flintoff and a few others. Nobody is saying Shamar is of standard, neither am I saying he’s not. We deserve to see though. Bat him a bit higher because we will never know if he keeps batting at 11. Ok I’ll concede to what you’re saying if you’ll agree that Shamar is the best looking #11 you’ve seen in quite a while… in my book I’ve not seen a better looking #11 EVER.
Curtis 7/28/24, 5:45:14 AM
Curtis avatar image

debut: 12/4/02
16,272 runs

He needs to fulfill, firstly, his pick as a bowler.

He did not live up to the hype

Three tests, he was rather less than mediocre

So ditch the chatter on all-rounder status
- edited -
TanteMerle 7/28/24, 8:25:03 AM
TanteMerle avatar image

debut: 2/22/04
8,156 runs

In reply to Curtis

Do not worry bro.
We just expressing our hope here.

Ravi Shastri started his test career as a tailender.
He later became an opener.
He also equaled Sir Garfield Sobers record of 6 sixes in an over a first class game.

All we are expressing here is that Shamar looks the part.
Whether he fulfills that promise is left to be seen.
He should be handles carefully by Windies coaches.
I am not optimistic with this management team.
- edited -
Curtis 7/28/24, 2:30:56 PM
Curtis avatar image

debut: 12/4/02
16,272 runs

In reply to TanteMerle

I hear you, and I recognize he looks half decent as a tail end batter. All those Berbice men, bowlers, seem capable with the bat.

But Shamar's graph trended downwards this series as a bowler for whatever reason. Maybe, expectations were too high or as some suggest, he didn't play many games. However, a youth like that should be grinding, running and lifting whether he plays or not. Doesn't look like he stepped up his training regimen.
chantilly 7/28/24, 2:37:05 PM
chantilly avatar image

5,088 runs

In reply to Curtis

You just stated the obvious. He looks short on cricket. He really hasn’t played any meaningful cricket since Australia. You’ll notice that his bowling got better as the series went along. That has nothing to do with what I’m talking about. I’m talking about his obvious ability as a batter.
Page: previous  1