The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Present West Indian cricketers must strive to emulate Shiv Chanderpaul

CaribbeanCricket.com 2024-08-21 00:47:14 

“Chanderpaul, eyes focused like a laser on the ball from run up to the moment he demolishes it with his trademark pull/sweep, raises his bat, and kisses the pitch as the ball ricochets back off the boundary. The “Tiger” has reached yet another half century, this one the most important of all.” That was a few days ago, as Guyanese and Caribbean cricket legend Shivnarine Chanderpaul, former captain of the West Indies team, ICC’s Hall of Fame inductee, West Indian hero, and one of cricket’s most celebrated players, attained 50 years old.

Deserving appreciations for this unsung hero from Unity village, Guyana, who was denied the chance to become the leading test scorer in West Indies cricket, and “forced to retire,” when his career was unceremoniously derailed by Dave Cameron’s and the WICB’s whimsical and spiteful actions, poured in, not least in “Little Guyana,” where he is revered. The left-handed batsman scored 11,867 runs at an average of 51, with 30 centuries in an illustrious career of 164 Tests to end at the second place in the list of all-time West Indies run scorers, 86 runs short of legendary Brian Lara with 11,953 runs.

Full Story

jacksparrow 2024-08-21 01:15:51 

Very nice piece highlighting exactly what I admired about Shiv. It was not necessarily his batsmanship, even though his extra cover drive along the ground stood out with the best of them, but it was his willingness to work hard at his craft to compete at the highest level, his determination and concentration at the crease that made me a fan and I salute him for succeeding.

Jumpstart 2024-08-21 01:25:20 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Shiv has been the rock and anchor of the West Indies since 1994, a veritable Atlas, and has been one of the Caribbean’s most accomplished, yet overlooked heroes.

the west indian tendency to historical revisionism is partially what has the cricket in the state it is. Shiv did not average above 40 for his first 51 tests(avg of 3cool and only scored 2 hundreds. In the 90s there was only one batsman keeping West Indies cricket relevant, and the lowest he ever averaged was 48, and that wasn't even between 1990-2000

CCW 2024-08-21 02:51:51 

I agree with most of what's been said ....Shiv was not the most naturally talented but he scaled the heights through sheer hard work....i dnt see these modern day clowns emulating that mainly because i dnt think the will is there to do the necessary work to improve their game but hope to be proved wrong....for sure the batting group undoubtedly is the worse I've ever seen!!

imusic 2024-08-21 06:48:44 

Why you think they’ve all been trying to do.

West Indian batsmanship in rd ball cricket models itself, or more accurately tries to model itself after Chanderpaul

Strokeless wonders intent in preserving their wicket without the skills to do so.

Shiv was unique. Only Larry Gomes of anywhere near recent vintage had success with that approach and he didn’t haven’t the kind of success that Shiv had.

Modeling West Indies batsmen after Shiv is exactly the wrong thing to do. And it’s been proven by what we have in red ball cricket today.

What we need are batsmen who can bat. Play the ball on merit and willing to dispatch bad bowling. Not endless prodders and plodders blocking half volley after half volley.

Nice intention to honor shiv. You do not honor him this way. What’s his legacy? Kraigg Brathwaite? Tage? Solozano? Reifer? Moseley? DaSilva? Bonner?

Nah man. Doh do shiv like dat.

brians_da_best 2024-08-21 08:28:20 

Shiv is one of our all time greats. As dogged as he was, he could also play fluently both sides of the wicket, and score at well over a run a ball when needed. He has all the shots in the book.

He played under the shadow of free scoring players like Lara and Hooper and Sarwan, so he ended up taking on the anchor role in an increasingly brittle west indies line up.

But boy, he could play all shots. And then some!

kgbcan 2024-08-21 10:20:31 

In reply to brians_da_best

Well Said Boss!

ponderiver 2024-08-21 10:43:55 

In reply to imusic

Shiv was unique. Only Larry Gomes of anywhere near recent vintage had success with that approach and he didn’t haven’t the kind of success that Shiv had.

Modeling West Indies batsmen after Shiv is exactly the wrong thing to do. And it’s been proven by what we have in red ball cricket today.

What we need are batsmen who can bat. Play the ball on merit and willing to dispatch bad bowling. Not endless prodders and plodders blocking half volley after half volley.

you will be chastised for this but your pov has merit

the game has changed look at franchise cricket it has shown the way forward for our batsmen

Can you imagine in a few years time someone will be waxing lyrical about Paint the cricket slayer

Jumpstart 2024-08-21 13:43:48 

In reply to imusic

YESSSSSSS

openning 2024-08-21 14:01:34 

In reply to imusic

Bro, modelling is not cloning, Joe Soloman, Larry Gomes and Shiv Chanderpaul, were the glue to the middle order of teams, and areas of their batsmanship should be admired.
Red ball cricket and White cricket are different formats, they need different applications, no one expects Pooran to model Shiv in T20 cricket.
Viv after playing his last match for a university team vs South Africa stated "West Indies batsman seem to be a group of survivors", Ryan Hinds Deonarine was part of that group.
This poking and survival has been going on for decades.

I also heard Michael Holding on commentary getting frustrated after Gayles played one swipe and got bowled, during a match in England.
Mickey said that's what happens when you play Rubbish cricket.

eXodus 2024-08-21 16:56:20 

THIS

Please god gimme 3 or 4 people who can do this

Jumpstart 2024-08-21 17:28:17 

In reply to openning

well too bad we haven't heard mikey's opine of Kraigg's poor man's crabby impression. im sure it would be less than flattering

imusic 2024-08-21 17:39:55 

In reply to eXodus

Athanaze and Carty can. Hodge is willing, if not yet consistently able. There’s a start at least

tc1 2024-08-21 19:29:39 

In reply to imusic

I totally agree with you on this matter, and I may add the only three legends that I think have the interpersonal communication skills are Lara, Bishop and Dujon. These 3 seems to communicate effectively and articulate all aspect of the game to me.

imusic 2024-08-21 20:14:41 

In reply to tc1

Don’t sleep on Carlos Brathwaite. He is nuanced and articulate. Not sure it’s an area he wants to explore though

openning 2024-08-21 20:38:38 

In reply to Jumpstart

Kraigg and most Bajan cricketers must keep you up at night.
Dude why don't you look in the mirror and acknowledge your shortcomings, it is only disgusted people who see the worst in others.

imusic 2024-08-21 20:45:06 

In reply to openning

Is he wrong about Kraigg tho?

openning 2024-08-21 20:50:21 

In reply to imusic

Kraigg has his flaws, he is at number 15 among the most tons in the history of West Test cricket, and among the most tons in FC cricket.
So, my friend can do BAT.

Jumpstart 2024-08-21 20:59:10 

In reply to openning

homes....even the most rubbish cricketers will score 15 hundreds if they are given 91 test matches in which to do it regardless of average. Kraigg is a terrible batsman. poor man's version of shiv, and shiv as successful as he was is not a dude would have put people in their seats for a cricket match. if yuh give shai hope 91 tests regardless of performance(he only averages 25) i'm sure he'd be able to creep to 15 hundreds

velo 2024-08-21 21:05:38 

Id take chanderpaul over theese ones in the side at the moment

openning 2024-08-21 21:10:04 

In reply to Jumpstart

Keep watching, he will regroup and come back stronger.
I am going to enjoy the ride.

imusic 2024-08-21 21:17:04 

In reply to openning

You can’t help yourself.

natty_forever 2024-08-21 23:41:43 

In reply to openning

Once he learns to bat.

TanteMerle 2024-08-22 00:12:13 

In reply to imusic

Preach it bro.
Shiv was great; however, his time has passed.
Cricket has evolved.
If de chupid CWI want to emulate a cricketer,
why not Lara, Richards, Greenidge, Haynes.
I can name the likes of Rowe, Kali and other pure batsmen, but I am sticking to 90's.
Shiv was a prodigy in his own way.
His technique is not one to emulate or set aside as a benchmark.
let me state at this point that, 'Shiv was/is a Great.'

We must be honest and realize that Shiv was very selfish, especially in his latter years.
Taking singles early in overs and exposing de tail-end batsmen.
Holder did that very well in the last test (first innings)
which possible contributed to a lost.
Holder gave a proper demonstration of what Shiv did in his latter years.
Lara would have added another 50 to 100 by shepherding the tail.
That's the difference with a great and very good.
Like I said earlier, Shiv is great, BUT cause of stats only.
With his stats, he must be considered great,
however, if one look at all nuances etc, I wonder what the verdict would be.

I would not ask any young batsman to emulate or even look at Shiv batting as a guide.

jacksparrow 2024-08-22 01:47:22 

You mean if the people say emulate Shiv, they mean everything 100 percent? Yall aint easy.

brians_da_best 2024-08-22 10:00:53 

15 hundreds in 91 games isn't bad at all. That's a 100 every 6 tests.

Players like lara etc had one every 4 tests.

The trouble with kraig is he doesn't do much in between.

He should be averaging in the 40s at the very minimum

CricSham 2024-08-22 10:24:24 

In reply to imusic

A post worthy to read. Thank you Sir. Let’s give shiv his kudos; applaud his batting average, which he kept improving with a single-mindedness of purpose. But a role model for batsmen? really?

Jumpstart 2024-08-22 10:38:08 

David Warner averaged a hundred ever four tests, Graeme smith averaged a hundred every four or five tests. Even a player as similarly dour and defensive as Kraigg, Alistair cook averaged a hundred every five tests. Dude Kraigg cannot bat. In addition to this, all these openers average well over 40

brians_da_best 2024-08-22 11:25:32 

In reply to Jumpstart

Look , a century every 6 tests isn't bad.

And yes, because he does nothing in between, his record is mediocre

You'd expect someone with 15 centuries to be averaging 40 at a bare minimum

I would drop him in a heart beat if we had a replacement

TanteMerle 2024-08-22 11:29:51 

And there it is!

Making someone undroppable until we find a replacement.

Wow.

Keep Brafit failing ass fa another 90 tests,

Unbelievable stupidity.

Jumpstart 2024-08-22 11:31:15 

Look , a century every 6 tests isn't bad.

You are trying to argue that while not comparing Kraig’s stats to the people who have played more or less as much or more matches than him. What data are you using to state that six centuries is not bad? Darren bravo scored a hundred every 7 games and a half century every three games? Where is he in WI cricket?

his record is mediocre

Yes it is

openning 2024-08-22 12:44:02 

In reply to Jumpstart

Darren Bravo created problems on the New Zealand tour and retreated, he should have been selected for the last WC and would have gone on tour to Australia.
When you burn bridges it comes back to haunt you.
Darren Bravo is surely not a good comparison.

Jumpstart 2024-08-22 12:53:20 

In reply to openning

All conjecture you have no way of corroborating. And if you mean having issues with the braid dead tactics of the brain dead skipper, then that is completely rational

i told you and others on this page cricketers are not bellhops and bus boys, to quote one caribbean PM. Maybe bajan players in the afro saxon tradition see it as hubris to complain to and about the skipper when the ship is sinking, but i don't think that is a sane position

openning 2024-08-22 13:29:15 

In reply to Jumpstart

I have been writing on this mb about the role of a captain in cricket for several years, I ignore all threads on that topic.
If you were watching on the radio, you would have been clueless as to what was going on in real-time.
I get why captains in other team sports are not the on-field marshalls, but carry on.
And don't come with any BS on the obvious.
England, Australia, and India management make plenty of decisions in real-time, during the games.

Darren Bravo Out Of New Zealand Tour For Personal Reasons

Jumpstart 2024-08-22 13:35:14 

In reply to openning

bravo's career problems started after 2013. he was exiled in 2016.

openning 2024-08-22 13:38:29 

In reply to Jumpstart

Ask Darren Sammy why.

Jumpstart 2024-08-22 13:48:55 

In reply to openning

darren sammy was self conscious because he knew he did not even command a place on the WI squad.....as a result, he was sensitive

XDFIX 2024-08-22 14:51:46 

when his career was unceremoniously derailed by Dave Cameron

Not true, Cameron was pro Shiv, but in the name of peace in the camp, he ceded decision to the majority!