The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

WI CRICKET PROBLEM IS BIGGER THAN JUST REVENUE

Page: previous  1
natty_forever 8/28/24, 10:39:21 PM
natty_forever avatar image

debut: 4/28/03
59,473 runs

In reply to Emir What say you about club football in Europe? Why hate the club setup if it's successful and cuss out people for making their free choice. You old geezers are something else.
- edited -
Emir 8/29/24, 12:03:01 AM
Emir avatar image

debut: 8/9/14
18,191 runs

In reply to natty_forever

Why hate the club setup if it's successful

Where did I say I "hate them?"

cuss out people for making their free choice.

Who did I cuss? I have never faulted any player for that, I only cuss CWI and I blamed them, not the franchise and not the players.

All the top boards own their t-20 franchise set up, except CWI, think about it.
Emir 8/29/24, 12:07:15 AM
Emir avatar image

debut: 8/9/14
18,191 runs

In reply to Jumpstart

Yep, but how is it we cannot get 1000 fans to watch cricket at any venue but CPL gets 100000 plus when they arrange it?

Why is it, the President of Guyana can jump and wine at CPL games, call out his people to attend the matches, give interviews during CPL matches, but show no such excitement and enthusiasm for our own- his own- just concluded WC matches, where his stadium had lots of empty seats?

What drives him and perhaps other regional "leaders" to CPL but not WI cricket?
- edited -
WIfan26 8/29/24, 12:45:22 AM
WIfan26 avatar image

debut: 5/1/21
2,449 runs

In reply to Emir

So this is how it should be done???

Not Interested

I think WI really should change their crest that would definitely help us!!!!
Jumpstart 8/29/24, 1:12:03 AM
Jumpstart avatar image

debut: 11/30/17
10,460 runs

In reply to Emir

Because Guyana have oil now…..irrespective of whether that money is doing anything tangible for people. Fact is the country has a level of optimism that it didn’t have before. You never saw Donald Ramoutar or Granger dancing up and down. Because for all of Ramoutar’s presidency and almost all of Granger’s presidency, Guyana was destitute. The enthusiasm for the CPL is a direct result of the oil boom. Bet yuh if oil drop to 10 dollars a barrel like it did in the 80s, all party stop.

On the point of the regional rivalries. So in 2015 Guyana played TT in the finals of the super 50 final. The match was sold out for two reasons: regional rivalry, Guyana playing TT and the controversy around the West Indies sending a Pollard and Bravo less WI squad to the World Cup, Gayle and Russell accusing the WICB of victimizing bravo and pollard, Jason holder being typically quiet on not having his best squad available to him. Combination of rivalry and the reaction to Cameron’s stewardship or abuse of WI cricket
- edited -
positiveg 8/29/24, 3:03:00 PM
positiveg avatar image

debut: 3/29/07
24,775 runs

My opinion on WI struggles of filling rhe stadiums has a lot to do with marketing. Wanted to comment esrlet but didn't and now upon writing this I see CWI has appointed a new marketing manager.
However, I still feel there isn't enough done to market the game across to its target audience. I don't thinknitbhas anything to do with gate prices etc. Take a look at Sri Lank playing England now they have a shirt sponsor ans sponsors on the sleeves and on the back. We don't seem to have a permanent test team shirt sponsor. Why I don't know. Apex was part of the England toolur they are not there any more. I see Dafabet on the back of all three of our team shirts but never read any deal being signed with them. Some would come and say that the iseeu is because no one wants to be part of a losing brand. I call bs on that because their are other teams ranked below us that have full shirt sponsors. Ireland Netherlands. I think that they might be trying to get one brand to pay a huge fee while they csn split that fee across several brand get them on the shirt use that fee to push marketing of the team more. WI Cricket is a brand. The name sells itself in the sports world whoever is marketing manager that does not understand that to me should not be marketing WI cricket. You are already given a brand it should not be hard to sell. The kit deal with Macron seems to be going well as fans are able to buy merchandise ans I see some were sold out and back in stock again. People want to go to the games and show uo in their team apparel. So I do hope that this continues look at the recently held t20 in Trinidad. Apart from the WC thats the first time I've seen so many fans wearing gear and it's a good thing. These little things are soft marketing skillets thay bring people to the grounds. They have to work at when a series is about 2 months out start to push it in and around the territories. Not just on social media but have banners in high traffic areas, get on the radio learn to meet the people where they are at. That is what is highly lacking. I hope the new person at the helm on marketing at CWI is able to do that. Won't hold my breath, Dominic Warne did some good stuff but was not consistent I hope Ms. Pierre is able to take what's around and push that is what will get people through the gate.
You have seen in other sports leagues and discipline where you may have a team not gmdping to good but their support is still there. And that has a lot to do with marketing. So CWI learn to market your brand.
Page: previous  1