The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Nicholas Pooran: 'The complete T20 batsman

sgtdjones 9/2/24, 5:39:12 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

debut: 2/16/17
36,921 runs

Nicholas Pooran: 'The complete T20 batsman can bat at 135, 140 strike rate and then accelerate to 200'
The T20 globetrotter and West Indies mainstay talks about coming into his own as a batting destroyer

Pigtail pulav, oxtail soup, curry chicken, channa, roti, mango, pineapple, and a whole lot more were on Nicholas Pooran's food wishlist as soon as he landed in his home in Port-of-Spain in Trinidad immediately after the 2024 IPL. And he did get to tuck into a lot of those, he said on a Zoom call from his home two days before he joined the West Indies World Cup squad.

The focus of our conversation was the evolution of Pooran the T20 batter. He refers here to himself as a "child of franchise cricket", which he is, having played in just about every T20 tournament of note across the globe. He is rated by his peers and pundits among the top batters in the format, one who can influence the game from any batting position and match situation.How does he do it? Pooran talks vividly about his preparation, his mental make-up before and during a game, how he capitalises on favourable match-ups, and what stands out for him about the best power-hitters in the game.
BeatDball 9/2/24, 5:49:57 PM
BeatDball avatar image

debut: 7/20/14
15,873 runs

So, what does NickyPoo have? Is it youth, timing, hand & eye coordination? Anyway, the people from Couva are extremely happy & glad! big grin
- edited -
imusic 9/2/24, 6:12:41 PM
imusic avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
78,713 runs

you must have thought about what position works for you?
Because I'm a child of T20 cricket, I started batting at different positions: seven, six, five, four, three, sometimes opening. So I was trying to figure it out. I wouldn't have it any other way. I know there's not many players in the world who can bat from No. 1 to 7. I know I can. And that's one of the beauties of my batting. When I was younger, I wanted to [come in to] bat earlier, I wanted to get more balls to bat, I wanted to score more runs. I wanted to score high scores. But as I got older, that's not really important to me anymore. What's really important now is being the best version of myself and winning tournaments, winning games. That's No. 1 on my agenda.

Interesting
- edited -
TheTrail 9/2/24, 8:41:54 PM
TheTrail avatar image

debut: 6/8/08
20,772 runs

Is Pooran a better T20I batter than Evin Lewis?
- edited -
Prako 9/2/24, 9:58:05 PM
Prako avatar image

debut: 10/10/16
742 runs

In reply to TheTrail

I don’t really understand what the term “Batter” emphasizes - it is hitting the ball hard, being aggressive, being fearless and sometimes over confident leading to a downfall?

If that is the case I would say Pooran is a better batter (I hate that word) but that Evin is a better batsman (someone who is more skillful at reading the game and batting accordingly to the situation and requirements) not just a bull in a china shop.
TheTrail 9/2/24, 10:47:02 PM
TheTrail avatar image

debut: 6/8/08
20,772 runs

In reply to Prako

[/quote] I don’t really understand what the term “Batter” emphasizes - it is hitting the ball hard, being aggressive, being fearless and sometimes over confident leading to a downfall?

If that is the case I would say Pooran is a better batter (I hate that word) but that Evin is a better batsman (someone who is more skillful at reading the game and batting accordingly to the situation and requirements) not just a bull in a china shop.
[/quote

Corrected and thanks.

I don't like the word, but I could understand why they changed it.
I will explain when I return home from work.
- edited -
chantilly 9/2/24, 11:39:40 PM
chantilly avatar image

debut: 12/8/06
5,088 runs

In reply to BeatDball

He has everything required to be a destroyer.
chantilly 9/2/24, 11:40:25 PM
chantilly avatar image

debut: 12/8/06
5,088 runs

In reply to TheTrail

I’m still wondering why Lewis is not playing T20 for Windies
sgtdjones 9/2/24, 11:52:05 PM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,921 runs

In reply to chantilly

Lewis has been treated awfully by CWI...

You a future prospect from Tobago with remarkable skills in Cricket , was treated horribly by Lara is South T&T...

Told of such by a friend who was present...

Any comment.?
- edited -
imusic 9/2/24, 11:55:12 PM
imusic avatar image

debut: 11/13/02
78,713 runs

In reply to sgtdjones

Told of such by a friend who was present...

Like Beatdballs cousin?
sgtdjones 9/3/24, 2:38:05 AM
sgtdjones avatar image

36,921 runs

In reply to imusic

Why not let the poster answer the question, before blaming my cousin.cool